It's so hard selling my truck!

gOOters

Is this wierd?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(edited)

Well, I had my truck on the market for a short while this past winter. Now, the time has really come to sell her off...if I want to. I can now easily afford to go get my sports car once I sell my truck, but just looking at the pics on my comp of her as I debate at autotrader.com make me sooo sad and wistful! I am considering just not selling it at all and driving her forever! She has been SO good to me! Done more than any driver could ask from a pickup truck. Been there for about 10 years of my life and still runnin strong...my precious. :rolleyes:<_<

Edit: It basically boils down to A: 10 year old pickup truck

B: Brand new 350Z

And I am vascillating! :blink:o0o

Edited by gOOters

When I got my new truck and had to get rid of the celica, I was sad to see the little guy go. It was a fun little car, but the new one is great too. New project, a new day. If you could budget it, you could keep the truck AND get your 350Z! Now that would be heaven. Little truck here little getupandgo there :D

Yeah...I could afford it by next April or May. It probably would be silly though. I don't really have a big need for the ol' gal anymore. Besides, she is killin me at the gas station with my drive to work and around DFW.

Still...if you are goin to college you will find your truck wonderful for all the moves you will need to make!

heh, I am only going to the community college right now. Pulling the smart thing and getting basics outta the way. Then I am moving on to somewhere else. By the way, I need some ideas on a good major. I was going to do Computer Science, but the more I think about it - I am good with computers most of the time, but hate the darn things. I was thinking Criminal Justice to do something with security, but don't know much about that and way too much psychology involved in cj. Business is just a bit too popular. Seems everyone has a business degree now. Any suggestions for a field that has good earning potentials? I don't care about making gobs of money, just enough to support a marriage/family eventually, get a house not too far off in the future, and own a nice car and maybe a bike or boat.

(edited)

I got a cool little degree called Industrial Distribution. It is an engineering degree, but has alot of businedd/logistics mixed in as well (Texas A&M has the #1 ID school in the country). I was able to use it to sell myself in interviews as both an Engineer and a businessman.

Look for something that will make you happy! Also, remember that you can move your career around some. So the biggest thing is to get a degree that is in demand (technical expertise is always in demand) AND that will allow you to be doing what you want within 5-6 years after you graduate.

Community college first is a GREAT idea. I did that too. The most important thing is that you finish getting your degree. Good luck, ask me anytime for advise on this subject as was in college for about half my life! :lol:<_<

Edited by gOOters

Wow goot. I looked around at salaries and offers received by people with industrial distribution degrees, and it averaged around mid $40,000. Not too shabby at all. That was for base salary too, with signing bonuses of up to $10,000. Just curious, but have you taken any job offers yet? And if so, what kind of salary was offered? Seems like an interesting field to look into, and not just for distribution. Never really thought too much about industy I guess. Even though I freaking work in a "distributing" warehouse :rolleyes: But hey, it's an easy job :D

Actually, with an ID degree...you could use that work experience to your advantage "selling yourself" upon graduation. People can always use someone who knows how to warehouse. But don't get lured by money...money can never compensate for a job you dislike. Furthermore, having a job you love is worth LOTS more than money!

I work for an extremely large defense contractor. Salary is pretty okay, but things are VERY rigid as far as promotions, etc. are concerned...and that's a drag kinda. Conversly, my job security and benefits are pretty nice.

Also, I graduated at a time when the economy = dooky, so I am not making as much as my peers who graduated a couple of years ahead of me :(

Where are you considering finishing your school? Make sure you have good grades to open all your options!

Ahhh...that crossed my mind, but thought you would put G&J :P

Feel free to jump in the discussion Playaa :) I have become a spammer lately on the days at work that I dont have a whole lot goin' on.

actually I'm kinda in the same situation right now. If I get this job offer I want I think I may have both (money and a job I like)

but otherwise I'm stuck working 2 jobs, 1 as a programmer part time, 1 as a pizza delivery boy.......and even though it's good money with both....I hate em both.

Then make an effort to show the new employer how eager you are. Areyou following up? You don't want to be a pest, but you should be following up until they give you an offer or a rejection. GL!

I read the ad about your truck, and i have one i sold off. It was a 1983GMC Sierra 4x4 350 show truck. I sold it for $5,000. Seems high but i put around $8,000 in it (new engine, system, driveshaft, ect...) including the purchase cost. I hated to see it go, but you have to bite the bullet and realize your never going to get what you put into your vehicle. If i were you, i would consider lowering your selling price. Just a helpful suggestion.

Guess i should be changing my avatar.. <_<

Edited by Asphyxiator

(edited)

You think my ad is for too much $$? Hmm, that seems to be the going rate for comparable trucks. Also, I feel like mine is a cut above your average pickup. Well, I might lower it in a couple of weeks...but I will wait and see how it does at this price.

BTW, any suggestions on how to sell other than autotrader.com? I was thinking about one other ad...should I put it in autotrader magazine, local (Dallas Morning News) paper, or maybe online classifieds?

Edited by gOOters

First off...thats not me calling those numbers leaving strange messages <_<

Second...why get rid of a car you love if it's still running strong and doing what you want? You'll end up buying a 30k car and hating it. I tend to keep cars till they are totally worn out. Then you don't have any issues getting rid of it cause it's now a POS.

I'll assume you have the truck paid off so try this. Make monthly car payments to yourself and open a bank account to stash it. Then when your truck is older and it needs to be replaced you'll have a nice little car allowance to purchase what you want.

Hmm...10 years is about my limit.

Honestly the greatest reason that I am getting rid of it is because I do a lot of driving now. I live in FW and my chick lives in Dallas. I have a lot of friends in Austin, Houston, and San Antonio. I want to be able to go where I want when I want to without paying a ton of money for gas!

Also, my truck is in good shape...for a 10 year old vehicle. I don't really want to be making all my road trips with it, thats a LOT of miles to put on a vehicle (I have been out of town every weekend for the last month).

Also, I will make sure not to buy a car that I hate, lol. I will also make sure not to buy a car that I cannot afford. I definately do not want a nice car to the detriment of my comfort or lifestyle.

Good advise overall though, it is just really time for me to pony up for a car now.

Yea, the mass miles would be hard on that v-8. I can't find a car I like now that gets over 22 mpg, I imagine your down around 12.

Then I change my vote...sell the damn thing...it's just metal :o

I had a roommate once who lived by the words "sentiment sucks". I always think that as I'm going through boxes of crap in my basement wishing I could just throw it all away.

Ok g00t, how much do you think you're gonna get out of it? A 10 year old pickup truck dosent sound like a high dollar item. i'd say it'd be worth it to keep it(how handy are trucks!) And get the Z. Ahh I see, it's a Dodge Ram. Still, keep it and get your car.. Just save up another month or two while you look for the right one.. Never rush into anything.. My $.02 worth..

Ahhh I see the problem goot. It's a Dodge :lol::lol::lol: J/K

Actually you may be asking a bit much for it. Even for the Dallas/FW area. I know it always looks good on paper(bluebook values) but realalistically it hardly ever works out that you get that value. If you really want to sell it. You'll drop the price. But, from what I've read, it doesn't look like you really want to. You're attached to that truck. Personally, I would never get rid of my truck and get a car. I had a hard enough time getting rid of my Chevy Pickup and buying my Yukon. So, if you can afford it, keep the truck and just buy the car. You won't regret it.