Router not working

Slaphappy

One min i'm online no problem. I come back 5 mins later and I can't get online. My D-Link router seems to be working fine all the lights are lit up and I can still transfer files with the other computers on the network, but for whatever reason I can't get online nor can the other computer. When I hook my computer directly to the modem it works fine. I tryed going into the router setup and restarting it but it didn't work. Along with just restarting my computer several times. Anyone have any ideas here

other notes. Running XP on both computers

been working fine for months now

hm....unplug it, plug it back in, reset it in the back with a pencil, if that doesnt work, redo that WAN connection. That has happend to me a few times, usually a reset or turning the power off on it works.

I've had an issue where the router can't get an IP address from the cable company because their system thinks I already have my 2. Usually they can reset something to free them up.

Slappy, your ISP is granting you access based upon the MAC address of the first ethernet card that you connected. A lot of ISPs do this. That is why a lot of the Cable Modem/DSL routers now have the option to set the MAC address of the router so you can clone it to your PC's MAC address.

ahh ok... I think part of it ended up being that my cable was going in and out last night for very short period of times. After just pluging it up strait to my cable modem it was still cutting in and out. but it's all good now...thanks for the help guys

I believe I have the same router that you have slap.....D-Link 604 is it. I was having terrible networking problems, internet drops, having to reset the whole router to reconnect to the net, even started having a little bit of LAN transfer problems. Then I went to touch the router to crush it into 9,358,541 pieces because I was so mad at it one night when I realized the dang thing was so hot I couldn't hold it. I did a little mod to it, as seen here:

Dlinkmod.jpg

and I haven't had a problem since.