ATI Discussion

Playaa

I got 2 questions:

1) a friend needs a new video card. For around $200 what should I be getting him? (no overclocking or anything will be done...just a straight out of the box card)

2) I have a 9700 Pro AIW. I don't use the parts of it that give it the AIW name so I'm thinking of selling it and getting a 9700 Pro or just the 128mb 9700.....would this still be as good of a card as my AIW?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

The AIW is worth much more than the regular 9700 pro. The clock speeds are the same, same performance.

I am willing to trade you my 9500 pro and other crap or money. Let me know.

Edited by zerodamage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I stick by my recommendation against the GeForce FX vid cards right now.

Agreed ZD. I used to be a big support of nVidia because I thought they had the best cards out (and the driver support was better than ATI) but with the latest gen of cards (nVidia 5xxx and ATI 9xxx) ATI has taken the lead and it looks like it will hold the lead for at least the next gen of cards if not more.

The AIW is worth much more than the regular 9700 pro.  The clock speeds are the same, same performance.

I am willing to trade you my 9500 pro and other crap or money.  Let me know.

ZD...care to rephrase this post?

one sec it sounds like you're saying I have a TON better one then you say they are the same....?

and Dweez did beat you to it....however ZD is offering money Dweez

:P

but when it comes down to it I'd rather have a 9700 Pro than a 9500 Pro just because it'll be longer before I hafta upgrade.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
The AIW is worth much more than the regular 9700 pro.  The clock speeds are the same, same performance.

I am willing to trade you my 9500 pro and other crap or money.  Let me know.

ZD...care to rephrase this post?

one sec it sounds like you're saying I have a TON better one then you say they are the same....?

and Dweez did beat you to it....however ZD is offering money Dweez

:P

but when it comes down to it I'd rather have a 9700 Pro than a 9500 Pro just because it'll be longer before I hafta upgrade.

The card is the same in regards to game and 3d performance. But the AIW has the ability for the best there is for video input. I want to free up a pci slot and have an all-in-wonder but can not afford one. My 9500 pro however is just fine though. Do with it as you wish. I just have dough right now.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Dweezil,

I know you have a deal with Playa for his AIW already. My question is this, are you just in need of a Capture card? I can sell you mine for cheap. I just need to free up the PCI slot and need the better capture / Tivo function for my business. Would you rather do that and keep your existing card?

I think you are doing Playaa wrong for his card otherwise.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

That's fine Dweez, you already made a deal with Playaa. Just do not rip him off. Your 9700 pro is NOT worth a 9700 Pro AIW. Make it an even trade. Playaa is too nice of a guy to take back the bad deal and make it right. I ask that you do it.

Your an admin mom... you can do what you want.. :nono::boo: I have been thinking about upgrading my video card lately to get more stable fps. My system setup as of right now is AMD athlon 800mhz, 128mb mem, 16mb nvidia tnt2 pro. I need something cheap (as in under $100) and I found This. Humor me on any good points this would have. I am really mainly interested in if it will be stable while running CS. I am not all too interested in high resolutions or all that in the game. But I would be interested in if it will run more recent games well. Such as maybe BF1942.

What about this one?

Edited by General J

i garuntee your 800mhz will be the bottleneck, then again 128mb of ram is really your issue, no wait its the vid card.

so you need mobo, chip, ram and video

58, 90, 100, 65 about 300 bux

one by one may be too much trial and error once you start to hit the bottlenecks.

if i had to choose, it would be ram (384mb min total) and the vidcard. ~`120bux

I need something cheap (as in under $100)

Key phrase here... I might be able to upgrade RAM within the next few months, but anything else is a no can do as of now. As of now my 16mb card pumps out anywhere from 25-99 fps and hits everything in between. Never a constant though. I would like something that will hold at even like 60 fps constant even with smoke present.

win98 can get by with 128mb, although its pushing it a little bit cause hl takes a good 60-80mb (prolly more) so go with the sapphire 128 radeon 9200 se core $53, but if ya got the 20 extra bux, the non se is prolly better. at elast that vid card will carry over into your next computer...when you will probably buy more ram etc.

(edited)

I've been using Geforce family since I had a (good) comp, gf2 mx 200, then used Geforce TI's both ran cs perfect (512 ram though, heh) and Battlefield (prerry good on the 2, excellent on 4), again my ram. And that card you picked there, I would do it, but I'm nieve, and I've always been afraid to buy FX cards, heh. I guess your only problem is ram, motherboard and maybe your processor? Since you have a job (I assume), why not just wait until you can afford all that stuff? like :m0m: said $300.

Edited by rackish