The Ring

Phyzar asked me to post a pic so I am

It's my first CS map I've built so please don't make too much fun!

In case anyoen is interested, the basics are easy but keeping FPS up is a challenge. NO CYLINDERS with 20 faces!

Transparencies are hard to do also. The Software Worldcraft aka Hammer sucks flat out! Compared to 3d raytracers like cinema4d or evern the cheaper carrara.

World craft doesnt call its items object but rather BRUSHES! Great huh, so flippin confusing you dont what they heak theyre talking about. Effects are "entitys" lighting, fog, movments of doors and crap like that.

It just flat out sucks!

Anyways the map is a bit brighter than what is in the pic but the candles flicker making hard to catch it at the exact time. Hope you can see it ok. It's just the first room but I'll build on it eventually. Perhaps if I finish it Fatty will put it on the server for us all to play it. I can see it know Auggybendoggy 55 kills 0 deaths. hahahaha fixed!

Late,

Auggy

hope the image works

user posted image

what is it a haunted mansion

make some places just unlighted so people will have to buy night vision or use their flashlights (becuz i think both items are useless in the normal game). or maybe a switch to turn lights off in certain areas of the house.

just suggestions

no no no no no no no. no no no no no no no no.

see what you did? i am gunna have nightmares for another month now. ooo that movie was sooo scary...i freaked out for a second when i saw the previews for "scary movie 3" when i first saw it, cuz i thought it was a ring 2 or something! eeks :=

im trying to see if I can put a real cool suprise in this one too.

I'm actually writing music for it and everything its a lot of fun.

Ok heres what I've got going so far.

Ive got 2 halls on the opposite ends with red carpet and the other blue.

If its a de_map then shall I provide sort of like a long and short a type of locations

perhaps using the colors may help identify the map too.

For instance if you take the blue hallway then most rooms will have a blueish tint

and the same for red.

Also how many bombsites? 1000! yea right.

ok just 2 i think.

Or do you think this should be a hostage (cs_map I think) map?

Auggy

Please help cause this stuff takes a long time and I dont want to have to go back and change all kinds of stuff.

Ringu is an awsome movie, i like it better than the ring, not that i dont also love the ring but, sadako is so much freakier than samara and the back story just flows better and makes more sinse. but because it is a japanese movie it does move slower and has less special effects and stuff, but the story is more solid if you ask me. also on a side note, the book it all originally came from was translated over here too, and is an great read, the story is really different than both movies (not going to say how) and if you like ether movie you should pick up the book. ok thats my 2 cents.

thanks dweez, the really really hard part is keeping the FPS up. I've got a 8500 le 128 ddr and I suffer in steam with my FPS. I run at 1280x1024 at about 40 fps. It's BARELY smooth enough to play. I can run it lower but I hate the look of low resolutions. On the other Hand making it Render freindly with my card means the real gamers with the killer cards will run the map just fine.

I wonder if I should purchase a new card.

Auggybendoggy

dweez is there a 9700 (non pro) that has the same capabilities with dvi output for less money (of course less features).

Like my 8500 le is like a 8500 pro but minus tv crap and other features. It's the same engine though.

the 9700 pro goes for about 250.00 (out of my leauge).

Auggy

The non-pro is craptacular...I just meant go with a generation or so behind the leading edge. I have heard really good things about the 9500 Pro if you can still find it. Supposed to be much better than the 9600 Pro...but either would suffice for your needs. Almost all cards come with TV-out of some kind nowadays.