question

flux

*waves hand* This is not the motherboard you are looking for.

That motherboard is crap. It's 533mhz bus max. Look around for one that supports 800mhz FSB!!

ATX is the size of a motherboard, which is quite standard. AT is an older style. Micro-ATX will also fit with room to spare.

*waves hand* Newegg.....

i talked to some ppl that r good with computers too and they said it would be fine

somehow that just doesnt make too much sense. Its by no means too late to fix this though.

Things you should be looking for on a mobo :

Supported CPU: Socket 478 Pentium

Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5R

FSB: 800/533/400MHz

RAM: 2x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR400

IDE: 2x UltraDMA 100 up to 4 Devices, 2x UltraDMA 133 up to 4 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI

Things on a cpu:

Model: Intel Pentium 4C w/ Hyper Threading ( Take note of the C )

Core: Northwood

Operating Frequency: xxxGHz ( doesnt matter as much as the one below ;) )

FSB: 800MHz ( This is where bells and whistles should be going off )

Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K

Voltage: 1.525V

Process: 0.13Micron

Socket: Socket 478

Things on memory:

Manufacturer: Pick one, try to stay with brand name, if you dont know the major ones just ask :)

Speed: DDR400(PC3200) ( This is a minimum when running a Pentium 4-C )

Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM

Error Checking: Non-ECC

Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered

Cas Latency: X-X-X-X ( Lower the better. )

Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s ( Make sure you get two paired chips.... if you want 512mb of ram get 2x256mb to 'double' your bandwith and take advantage of dual channel )

Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit

RMA'ing some of your things that are on the way seems to be the only option out of this honestly. If you would be so kind to list everything in full spec that you have ordered that would help alot and Homer, myself, Nofx, Birdman and many many others who have built more then 1 computer can really help you out here.

Edited by All Kill3r

(edited)

ok heres what my mom had ordered me for x-mas

1. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...-2126&CatId=182

this same mobo....

thats all she got me, i got the hard drive and case coming in the mail. but i hadn't ordered anything else yet. i was planning on getting this ...

2. http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=118

well thats all for now .. i still need to order the mem. tell me how the mobo and cpu look together so far because thats what im concerened about right now !! :(

edit* - i cannot seem to find any 800 mhz boards. i would really like a soyo, but this means ill have to send the other one back and wait longer .... :( thas all!

Edited by i <3 Angelina Jolie

that mobo and cpu will work together since they are both 533fsb. If you havent ordered the cpu yet then i would seriously consider ANY P4 2.x C cpus 800fsb and get a mobo with 865pe/ich5 chipset, 800fsb. Being that the cpu is not ordered yet that gives you time to send that other mother board back and get a different one. Only reason i think you should send it back is because your buying a 533mhz cpu and mobo when 800mhz stuff is the same price and alot faster. I would even take the P4 2.4C over a 2.8 533.

Soyo Board

P4 2.6C 800fsb for same price as your P42.8b 533fsb

Geil PC3200 (256mbx2) with very good reviews for less then 100 bucks.

Total: 359 $

if your looking for some ram with a little more zing but with a little more cost : Corsair XMS Low Latency PC3200 ( 256mbx2 )

You cant beat that price for a soyo board, a blazing cpu with lots of potential and paired DDR400 ram to run in dual channel to give you lots more bandwidth. Yes its from newegg but like most others around this neck of the woods ....... well..... i r pwned by newegg. They are the best. :wub::wub: NEWEGG :wub::wub:

Edited by All Kill3r

Just my opinion, but I would never by an OEM cpu. OEM cpu's only come with a 1 year warranty (maybe less depending on the seller) but retail comes with a three year warranty which, again in my opinion, is worth the extra $20-40.

this is the first time i have bought a retail cpu and only did so because it was only 5 bucks more than oem and you cant buy a heatsink for your oem processor for 5 bucks. Really if your processor dies after 2 1/2 years your gonna want a new processor anyway. :m0m:

oh just another thing...... i was going to get that cpu now, then i am going to send the mobo back and get that one you linked me to. then im going to get the ram, sound like a good idea?