Gospel of Thomas

Playaa

(edited)

well it's not in the Bible because it's in a totally different format from every other book..it's just a book of quotes...what other book about Jesus life is that? Too many things could easily be taken out of context.

btw...that is all my opinion. The REAL reason it's not in the Bible is because the first century Christians questioned its validity...and considering they were witnesses to his actual life...(some of them)...I'd say they were experts on it.

and Fatty's right...

*edit*

and the reason they might not be Jesus words is because for one thing...some of them make absolutely no sense...:D

now I'm willing to believe that maybe Thomas was one of his followers who heard his words (btw this is NOT "Doubting Thomas") and wrote them down...but every one of them is out of context...we have no explanation to why he said any of that...

I lean more towards that it really is Christs words...but for all we know some of them could have been him in general conversation with friends and telling a joke or two...he was human after all...I don't think he spent every waking moment telling parables and astounding crowds...

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

here's is one valid example where Thomas quotes Jesus as saying something from another book

Gospel of Thomas:

(90) Jesus said, "Come unto me, for my yoke is easy and my lordship is mild, and you will find repose for yourselves."
Gospel of Matthew
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

and yet it is still just a collection of sayings...it's like someone writing down quotes from my entire life...those quotes mean nothing without the context.

For one thing, for a book to be admitted into the New Testament, it had to be written by either someone who physically knew Christ (i.e, an eyewitness...as in one of his disciples) or just one person separated (as in One Degree of Jesus Christ, such as Luke, the writer of the Gospel of Luke). So this isn't Doubting Thomas eh? I always thought it was. Who is he then and what was his relation to Christ?