Dreadlocks and the Bible..

every one of those verses is talking about specific people...Samson was one of them....he was told to never cut his hair so he would stand out and have a defining trait (amongst other things) and when he let his hair be cut God took away the blessing of his strength and only returned it when he could use his strength for a greater good.

other situations like that are what the other verses talk about...I think it was called a Nazarene? (someone correct me) but it was a holy order that had to follow certain guidelines...

No, meeting the stipulations that bound a Nazirite (Found the term was Nazirite, not Nazarene (which means from the region of Nazareth) did not make you a Nazirite. These were a group of people that made special vows in service to God. I guess modern day analogies could be Monks, Priests, or Nuns. I found a web page that gives a decent explanation of what a Nazirite is.

A Nazirite was a person who took a vow of separation, of service to God. The word comes from "nazar," which means to separate, to cut off. Studying the Old Testament, we discover that the Mosaic covenant had a provision by which a Jew would set himself apart for a period of time to accomplish some purpose; during that period, he would be a Nazirite. There were three significant conditions a Nazirite had to observe.

He or she could not touch a dead body of any kind. (What's that about? Most of us are not tempted to touch dead bodies, i.e., road kill!)

He or she was not allowed to drink wine or strong drink, or even have contact with the fruit of the vine or the vineyard itself--e.g., no Grape Nuts or raisins.

He or she was to let their hair grow long. They couldn't even trim their split ends.

from http://www.hillcrestchapel.com/characters/samson.html under the "Samson was to be a Nazirite from birth--v. 5."

good find Dweez. I have never come across anything in the Bible forbidding any hair style. In fact, people who haven't studied the Bible often assume it's filled with rules, it isn't. God doesn't care if you have dreadlocks or a high and tight military cut. He doesn't care if you eat red meat. I don't think he's even too concerned about people smoking a joint once in awhile. He just wants our friendship and love. With that comes obediance to his commands. Things that matter, like not cheating on your wife, reserving weapons for the quail and deer and honoring him by not ignoring him in favour of other things.

Or ratty, which can come from not combing it. When the dreads are first starting (IIRC) you don't wash it for the first month or so but that doesn't mean you can't get it wet or anything, after that, you are good, just don't come it. Of course, I have also heard of some people who put molasses in their hair to get it started...yeuch.