mobo ?

wilco

i have a tyan trinity 510 via set with a p4 1.6 at the moment

looking at a p4 2.4 - p4 2.8

In doing so ill need a new mobo and I believe new memory

So my ? to you is what is a good non via board that will support the chip.

btw im not into overclocking and all that so stability w/out tinckering is ok

at the moment i have:

gf4 in the agp slot

Audigy2

lan card

but i do like to have a couple pci slots for expansion if needed.

In reading more I also should wonder if I should upgrade now or wait till the new pci express hits.

Please give me your opinions :) Thanks

Also Id like to give a shout out to all those I havnt talked to in a LONG while ;)

I'm currenty running this board Wilco - Asus P4P800 It booted right up on the first attempt. Even though you may not be into overclocking it, it has a whole slew of bios options and comes with an easy flash utility to make updating to latest bios very simple. Depending on budget it can get better then this or worse. :P

Gonna need pc3200 ram, dunno what you have to the mo. I would try to do the upgrade now if you can. PCI-Express will be out this year for sure but at a premium im sure. Motherboards and cases will also be switching from ATX to BTX. With all the current technology changing so much this year upgrading now would be a good idea in my opinion. Northwood P4's arent priced to bad and should last until all these new changes take place and give them time to come down to a normal consumer market price, my guess would be sometime in late 2005.

All in all -P4 2.8c pc3200 ram - good mobo is a real nice, real fast pc.

:wavey: glad to see ya Wilco. Homer and Birdman among other should be able to offer more opinions :D

The P4 is hard to fault, but for a similar outlay in money you can have more performance with an Athlon 64 setup. The ECS 755-A2 mobo (cheap, $87) or Asus K8V Pro (full featured, $160) and the Athlon 64 3000+ (retail) would run you $227. (Newegg prices)

The P4P800 and P4C800 mobos from Asus are the cream of the crop for P4 boards, but the Northwood technology it's based on is on the way out.

"Homer and Birdman among other should be able to offer more opinions "

hehe

what kinda geforce 4 do you have man?

if its a geforce 4 mx and you wanna play some newer games then you may wanna upgrade. A Ti4200 is kinda slow these days, but can still get the job done and a Ti4600 would be hard to fault. The only problem would be running direct x 9 features on these direct x 7 and 8 cards. You may not be missing much right now(besides overall image quality) but you will any minute now(when farcry and ut2k4 drop).

As for processors, the northwoods are sweet and many people on this board own them.

go for at least a 2.4Ghz as a low end if you're going in that direction.

Although if i was gonna spend a couple hundrend bucks id be looking into the socket754 AMD platform that accepts the fast 3000+'s(i already have a video card though).

Since you were interested in when PCI express drops im guessing you are gonna wanna play games. If you have the money to buy parts now, then go ahead and do it cause you are gonna get a huge boost in performance when leaving your old setup. If your current system was faster i would say wait for PCI express. 1.6Ghz is a lil slow though.

So maybe a video card should be the main focus of the upgrade. Just get a processor that has enough juice to feed whatever card you get(should you want to). 2.4Ghz p4's are plenty fast enough for games if you wanted to spend less on processor, mobo, and ram. If you are gonna play games a lot spend a lil' more on the video card and less on the rest.

Thanks for the links...

Birdman the gf4 I have now is a ti4200

Im most likely going to upgrade that in the near future but I wanted to get the processor and the mobo squared away first.

The processor for sure will be either the 2.4 or the 2.8 prescott...depending on how much the mobo is going to stretch me.

So my prime concern is that. Any recommendations? I like the one killer linked me but is there anything a bit cheaper or am i being to stingy :)

Also....I have always owned Pentiums....so I have no familiarity with AMD whatsoever....if theres any AMD people out there that can save me some money while getting me running as fast or better than a p4 2.4 please help me out. Again the Mobo is what im really concerned about since I have been out of the upgrade market for a while.

hey man, long time no see how ya been? I just got a p4 2.4. What kind of setup do you want? Something that will grind some numbers or you just want a fast setup? If you want somethign fast and cheap I would go with

Mobo - $55

Biostar Nforce2 Put one in my roomates computer runs awesome. You have a audigy sound so you dont have to worry about its crappy onboard sound.

Processor - $90 AMD 2500+

Ram - $195 Geil 512x2

I would go with 1 gig of ram, I learned that buy downgrading from 768 to 512. It sucked so i had to buy more.

looking at around 350 bucks, could save yourself 100 bucks on 512.

I recently bought

P4 2.4c - $165

Abit 865 mobo - $86

somehow im ending up with 4x256 memory - $250

that totals around - 500

Now that I dont have all the money burning a hole in my pocket I would rather have the AMD and 150 bucks.

Well since you mentioned saving money then id say the AMD 64 bit setup is outta the question.

However, if money if tight its hard not to tell you to get a 2500+ AMD barton on a Nforce2 motherboard.

Couldnt tell you to get a gig of ram though as ive seen nothing wrong with 512 mb of ram and my setup(even in games that people claim benefit from a gig of ram).

so id say go with the 2500+ = 90 bucks

brand name nforce 2 mobo(ABIT, ASUS, MSI) = 90 bucks

two stick of crucial pc 3200 = 92 bucks

total = 272

if you wanna spend more money on any of the above then get a faster/more expensive processor

or save any left over money to put it into a new video card.

If you still wanna go with INtel then go for it.

Edited by Birdman

(edited)

yea you really dont need a gig of ram....but if your multitasking or running a memory hog programs, you wont run as sluggish and will see a noticable improvement, however no improvement on your FPS.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

ok now were talking...

I could go as far as $500 into a processor , mobo, and some memory...

What is better Intel or AMD? I should also say that I do want it to be fast.

Stretch it out for me fellas....money isnt all that tight....but saving is saving and it never hurts ;)

Edited by Th3Fall3N W1lc0

Well, if the budget is $500....

19-103-424-01.JPG

$227 AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail

13-128-203-03.JPG

$96 GIGABYTE K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "GA-K8VT800M" -RETAIL

20-146-833-01.JPG

$96 OCZ Performance Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

This RAM is well rated, and in fact I use it now. The similar Corsair XMS stuff is $115. Start with 512 and see how it runs, add another 512 if you need it.

That puts it at $419.

If you want to move to SATA, you could get one of these:

22-145-049-01.jpg

$79 Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722580VLSA80, OEM

Or if it's Intel......(sorry, no pretty pics, gotta go soon)

$58 BIOSTAR PT800 Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4VTB" -RETAIL

$187 Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

Total: $341

So $419 for the latest AMD or $341 for last year's Pentium.

that amd setup Homer listed looks nice for the money :o not to mention is has a little future to it, P4 socket = dead :angry: with that intel setup though you can almost add a 9800Pro in there and only go over budget by a wee bit, that would be huge gains. ;)

What is better Intel or AMD? I should also say that I do want it to be fast.

Either setup will be just as fast as the other to the eye i think. Each, amd and intel are king of their own hills. :P

Edited by All Kill3r

(edited)

$58 BIOSTAR PT800 Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4VTB" -RETAIL

$187 Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

Total: $341

I think Im probably going to go this route...

just for conversations sake.....the mobo seems a bit cheap.....and there are only 2 reader reviews.....should i look into something else....I dont know much about biostar....i do hear alot about asus any comments before i order :)

and now that im looking at it ....would i be better going with the northwood core or the prescott?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....alog=343&depa=1

Its OEM....Id rather have retail but thasts all they are offering and its only $185

Edited by Th3Fall3N W1lc0

....I just did some more reading about the athlon 64 3000+

sigh

I have no idea what i want to get into now....

Just when i thought i knew what i was getting ....lol its been fun though...

someone nudge me in the right direction ;)

2.8 prescotts are a good price.

I like them cause they gots plenty of cache and new hyperthreading and SSE3 and are bout the same price as the northwoods. They will only get faster as more cod gets written for them.

YOu can say the same about when a 64 bit microsoft os comes out and you're running a 64 bit AMD though.

I love me some AMD.

Nothing wrong with a 2.8 presscott.

You cant go wrong.

Get a good mobo that has positive reviews on tech websites.

Getting the right motherboard would almost be of more importance here.

THe intel mobo's for the 875 are very very mature and have tons of features.

the chipsets for the 64 bit AMD arent the best in the world right now, but they get the job done.

It would be hard not to slap a prescott in a ABIT 865 board though.Like this one

I have a feeling that would be a speedy, yet stable system.

Cant knock the ol' AMD XP either though i suppose(just getting older by the minute).

AMD 64bit 3000+

OCZ PC3200 - 512mb

Gigabyte board

Homers recommendations for an amd setup and i must agree. 64 bit cpu will be very nice in the not to distant future when 64 Operating systems come out. OCZ ram hasnt done me wrong either, no complaints there. Well under your budget also. I really wouldnt sweat AMD v Intel too much, just pick one and go for it but amd's 64bit line of cpus seems to be the way to go right now. Either way you will not be dissapointed.

wilco gigsbyte board is the best ever in stability and options both me and abyss have gigabyte 8knxp and p4 2.8 gig they run flawlesslly heres a link :)http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....y=BROWSE&depa=1

that would be my choice gets awesome reviews and you couldnt ask for more options

also heres product link from gigabyte http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Produ...ts_GA-8KNXP.htm

Edited by [DOH]FaCeHoLe .gc

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-116-161&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-146-833&depa=0

Now the mobo:

I think this one might be to fancy and costly but i like all the features

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-128-185&depa=0

Anyone have any last minute mobo suggestions, before i spend some of my tax return ;)

Or any last minute AMD people want to sell me on AMD :)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....y=BROWSE&depa=0

^^^^that processor, not the northwood for the same price.

^^^^^^^^much cheaper mobo

^^^^one of the best heatsinks for the p4, besides the other thermalright one.