Any other craft beer drinkers/homebrewers here?

SheepNutz

"Whooo... Gotta take a deep breath before trying to explain this one.

Pours a delightful glass of muddy brown fluid. I love it. Not clean-looking in the least. Borders on a crimson blackness when not held to light.You know it is huge just by looking it it. Beige head retains wonderfully.

Nose is packed full of berry, wood and chocolate aromas. Plenty of hops on the nostrils, as well as with a good deal of smokiness.

Taste is something else. Big, rich fruitiness. Lots of grape and raisins floating around. Berries and cherry too. Malty caramel/toffee/butterscotch is in full effect. Add some lovely vanilla flavors. Turns darker with the expresso and dark chocolate kicking in. Then does an about-face and throws some scotch-like hues. Smoky and delightful with some lovely woody notes. Yeast is evident, and throws in some spicy and earthy tones. Somewhat belgian-esque, as many HotD brew are. Hopping is obviously huge, but just enough to balance this overwhelming load. Turns spell-bindingly dry on the finish. Just some lingering woody dark chocolate and fruit. So balanced it is not even funny.

Velvety smooth and creamy in the mouth. No rough edges whatsoever. Oh..this is a joy to drink. Dangerous is an understatement.

I loved every second of this one. One of my all time favorites."

That sounds too good to be true. Where do i get my hands on this Hair of the Dog's Adam ?

Depends on where you live. It's made in Portland, Oregon I believe, but they distribute in certain states even on the east coast. I get mine at a place in Cincinnati, OH. If you do find some, keep it in a ziplock bag in the fridge, in case it explodes like the bottle pictured above. Also, when you pour it, watch out. This shows how much head the beer gets, and I even poured this one very slow:

adam3.jpg

HOLY COW ! that is alot of head. looks yummy though. No specialty beer stores around my area, next time im in Charlottesville ill look around, should be able to find at least one of these beers mentioned i hope. Maybe i could even get you to bring me one of those beautiful looking Hair of the Dog's Adam brews to FF04 to taste on :P

Anyone bringing taste tests to FF?

I'll be bringing tons of stuff. Like I mentioned in another thread, I'll probably make a batch of homebrew for FF.

Dweez, I'll probably stop and get some HOTD Adam in Cincinnati, but if you wanna see what Vintage Cellar has, check out their website: www.vintagecellar.com

Gooters, about storing beer: Most beers that have 8%abv and are bottle conditioned (meaning they still have yeast in the bottle to provide carbonation) can be aged for at least a year. Beers should be aged between 55-65 degrees F, and stored upright (even corked bottles). Some beers last really good if aged for 5-10 years (like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot), and some like JW Lees and Thomas Hardy's Ale can be aged for 25+ years. I have some Lees aging back to 1997, and some 1996 and 1997 Thomas Hardy's Ale my cellar. Aging usually smooths out the hops and alcohol profiles, and lets the malts really come through. It's fun stuff.

• 3 months later...
/reminds Sheep to bring some Hair of the Dog's Adam to FragFest  :D

True, I'll try to find some. Dweez, I don't know if I'd buy a whole case. It's way to strong to be a really drinkable beer. The flavors are outstanding though. I'm bringing stuff to fragfest that's fairly low in alcohol (5-6%) and easy drinking (IPAs, pale ale, hefeweizen).

Dweez, swoop owes me ~$25 for a bet and shipping, so could you pick me up one of these at vintage cellar? http://www.vintagecellar.com/Merchant2/mer...ct_Code=19602_1

It's called DeuS, and it's the only beer in the world that is brewed then shipped to the champaigne region of france to go through the champaigne process (storing upsidedown then chopping off the neck of the bottle to remove the yeast, etc.). That's why it's $27 a bottle. I hope it's good. Here's some reviews of it, and you can see what the bottle looks like: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/202/7661/

I'm thinking of brewing another IPA to bring to fragfest. It'll be just like my first batch, which turned out great, but I'll be using a better more flavorful yeast. I hope you all like lots of hops!!!

hah. Last month i had a show and i was staying over at my buddies house for the weekend. Anyways he had tons of beer at his place.

So this is the story, the christmas that just past, his whole family came to visit for the holidays. They were told to bring a type of beer, each one different from the other. Suffice it to say there were leftovers so last month we were pounding back lager's from Kenya. Some of them were disgusting, but the others were good