Hey gOOt

KagE

Wow...glad he asked me :D

The STi is not $10K more than the Z or RX-8. As a matter of fact, the MSRP on an STi is $31.6K, that is $1K more than MRSP of my Performance Z, it is $2K less than the track Z.

As for performance, the STi will dust a Z off the line. It is also just as fast when cruising. In fact, I love the hell outta this car. I do think it is kinda bland looking though, and if I am going to commute every day, I would MUCH rather do it in a nice interior, the STi interior is pretty slim on comfort.

default.jpg

The RX-8 is much much slower than the Z or the STi, but it is sporty and handles EXTREMELY well. It looks great too imho. But it gets bad gas mileage and is tough to mod.

530824_4_full.jpg

The Z would be my choice. I think they are all cool cars. But, seriously, how can anyone say they dont like the way the Z looks? It is goregous...has 911 like lines. Decent interior, not great, but not bad. It is quick, not blazing, but definately a sports car. In fact, the big magazines posted lap times in the Z on a race course better than those of much more expensive and powerful cars, because it is a smooth car, and easy to drive fast.

All are good choices, I would go for the STi second because it is a mean little dood and AWD is VERY cool imo.

To those who say the Z is too comon, I really dont see all THAT many of them!? And if I did, I wouldnt even care, because everybody in the world could own a Chrome Silver Performance Z and I would still get a silly grin walking up to my car because I think it is beautiful. 350z2.jpgwp_06chromesilver_800.jpg

Find me a Scooby going for MSRP. Here in Florida they, when my local Subaru Dealership gets one (for they are rare), for 5k to 10k above MSRP (KBB says $3k above invoice is average). 3 Weeks ago when my baby was in for a routine doctors visit thee Subaru Dealership (right next door, same complex) had a Scooby for $37K w/ no options.

The Z starts at $26.9K (and will sell for about $26 according to KBB).

They also are not par on performance.

The Top End Z pulls a 14.3 Quarter mile, a full second slower than the STI (both numbers from R&T).

The Scooby also handles better at all but the high end than the Z...when the advantages leans to the more aerodynamic Z.

The two cars aren't comparable at all. Sorry Goot, but my car is almost a match for your Z...the STi is out of your league.

As for looks, I'll be the first to stand up and say that both the RX-8 and the new Z are ugly (sorry again goot). The front end of both cars are nice, and both of them have big fat buttes. Though the Z is heads and tails better looking than the RX-8 (which IMHO only looks good from 1 angle), I still don't think its pretty. And it definately doesn't have 911 lines.

Edited by White Knight

Find me a Scooby going for MSRP.  Here in Florida they, when my  local Subaru Dealership gets one (for they are rare), for 5k to 10k above MSRP (KBB says $3k above invoice is average).  3 Weeks ago when my baby was in for a routine doctors visit thee Subaru Dealership (right next door, same complex) had a Scooby for $37K w/ no options

The Z starts at $26.9K (and will sell for about $26 according to KBB). 

They also are not par on performance.

The Top End Z pulls a 14.3 Quarter mile, a full second slower than the STI (both numbers from R&T). 

The Scooby also handles better at all but the high end than the Z...when the advantages leans to the more aerodynamic Z.

The two cars aren't comparable at all.  Sorry Goot, but my car is almost a match for your Z...the STi is out of your league.

As for looks, I'll be the first to stand up and say that both the RX-8 and the new Z are ugly (sorry again goot).  The front end of both cars are nice, and both of them have big fat buttes.  Though the Z is heads and tails better looking than the RX-8 (which IMHO only looks good from 1 angle), I still don't think its pretty.  And it definately doesn't have 911 lines.

Example STi Price #1

Example STi Price #2

Okay, white. I really dont want to get in a tinkleing contest here or anything, I just dont want erroneous info given out. I found both of these after about 1 minute of research. The extreme low miles and price about $3K lower than MRSP (about where it should be), tell me that they are going for around sticker price now. There was a time that they were marked up...not anymore in TX though.

As for performance, "magazine racing" doesnt equal what you will find on the track or the street. I would be willing to venture that any car that is within 1 sec or so of another car can be competetive in the real world...the driver makes the difference there! Outside of the 1 second mark or so, the car makes too much of a difference.

So...back to magazine racing. I guess the Z should be just as competetive to the faster STi as the RSX S-Type is to the Z?

STI Specs

Z Specs

RSX S-Type Specs

Do you drive an RSX-S White? I do like those cars alot..I really almost bought one. I'm sorry you think the Z is so ugly, but that doen't change my opinion of it :)

P.S. I have raced a STi on the highway before. He pulled on me from about 65 - 80, then I actually caught up to him until around 100 or so, then he walked me. We shut down at about 135 or so, but I think I might have gained a little distance at top speed. They are FAST. Faster than the Z. That doesnt bother me. I really like the STi, wouldn't mind owning one at all really. I would NEVER beat one off the line because they launch with all wheels spinning. However, I'll bet I could do allright against one on the track (haven't run up against one yet). It doesnt bother me that the STi is faster either. My Z is quick enough for me (for now!), and I like the look and feel of my car about 10 Xs more than that of the STi. :ph34r:

Edited by gOOters

Wow, 2 used cars all below MSRP! Uuuuhhh...dude...yeh. I don't believe that the "cost" of a used car on an internet sight can be used as a reference point to the actual selling price.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ncb?kbb...;M34M1&&&&nyrnc

As for performance, "magazine racing" doesnt equal what you will find on the track or the street.

It depends on what you are comparing. That a guy drives a 13.3 1/4 in a car does not equate to you driving a 13.3 quarter in the same car (especially when you get to fast cars...like these). However, you can compare what they drove car A in and what they drove car B in.

I would be willing to venture that any car that is within 1 sec or so of another car can be competetive in the real world...

And I'm going to disagree with you. In a quarter, 1 second is a LONG time. Tell ya what, show me a slip of someone running a stock 350Z less than 14, and I'll agree that these two cars are in the same ballpark. I also hadn't seen they showed the S at 15.2. Neeto, and my buddy...not a track...clocked me runnin it at 14.7...I figured the S was faster than that.

I'm not demeaning your car man, I'm just sayin they're not comparable performance wise.

Do you drive an RSX-S White?

Yeh, I thought we'd talked about it. I <3 my car.

I'm sorry you think the Z is so ugly, but that doen't change my opinion of it

Not tryin to, just voicing my opinion and disagreeing (strongly) that the car has 911 lines. Btw, I just said the Z was ugly, not so ugly. The RX-8 would qualify as "so ugly".

You arent being consistant White. You say that Magazine racing is accurate. Yet you claim to beat magazine spec for your 1/4 mile by a half a second. You proved my point that magazine racing is useless for cars that are similarly matched.

You say that a car that clocks a full second quicker in the quarter mile could never be beaten by the slower car, yet you claim that the Acura is better competition for a Z than an STi. The Acura is a full second slower (R&T) than the Z, which is a full second slower than the STi (R&T). So...how could a Z be better matched with an RSX than with an STi?

You arent being consistant White. You say that Magazine racing is accurate. Yet you claim to beat magazine spec for your 1/4 mile by a half a second. You proved my point that magazine racing is useless for cars that are similarly matched.

I also implied that it mine wasn't an accurate time (a buddy, not a slip) AND that I was surprised at the time that the magazine quoted.

My statement about the accuracy of the mags is that with the same group of people clocking the same cars that the ratio of their performance would be accurate, whether the final numbers were accurate representations of how fast the specific cars could drive.

You say that a car that clocks a full second quicker in the quarter mile could never be beaten by the slower car, yet you claim that the Acura is better competition for a Z than an STi. The Acura is a full second slower (R&T) than the Z, which is a full second slower than the STi (R&T). So...how could a Z be better matched with an RSX than with an STi?

I did not say that a full second quicker car "could never be beaten". I said they weren't comparable. A good driver driving the STi will repeatedly smoke an equally good driver driving the Z BECAUSE the difference is so extreme...1 second. I'm not sure how much you've raced, but a full second is a lot of distance between two cars.

And my S isn't a full second slower than the Z. Its .9 seconds (R&T). ;-) What led me to believe that the times were more comparable is that I know people with Z's and from my experience racing, toying, and playing tag with them , they weren't that much faster.