Weight Lifting

Guest PDO

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Does anyone have any knowledge of any harm that weight lifting for someone under 18 can do? I'm 16 at the end of March and have quite the intrest in starting to do some weight training. I'm 6'3" right now..

don't do too many exercises that squish you. like squats and what not, unless you like being short. other than that just pace yourself and take it slow and you shouldn't do any damage to yourself. I also recommend that you do everything without any supplements, unless you plan on being a body builder. You may see quicker results with the supplements...but as soon as you get off them it's hard to retain what you have worked for through the supplements. Plus they cost $$$$.

p.s. lol ure 6'3? diddn't read it...scratch the short thing.

Edited by prodigy

I told PDO this put i'll post it. When I lifted on a regular basis it worked well and really well for my friends. Pretty much alternate muscles you work out. And when working them out try to work complementary muscles. Like one day do Chest and Triceps, the next day should be your rest day. On that day work on cardio and abs. Then the next lifting day work Back and Biceps. Then on the rest day work your cardio and abs. The final lifting day work shoulders and legs (i.e. squats). Basically just give your muscles time to recuperate by alternating the muscle groups you work on and using rest days to work your cardio.

Ive been weight-lifting 3 days a week since I was in 7th grade for football. It makes all the difference in the world. Lifting isnt all about getting stronger, expecially if its for sports, its equally about preventing injury. But lifting, if you know what your doing, can be fun and rewarding.

Also you cant just do the abs, bench, the normal stuff. You need to squat, deadlift, power clean, militart press, jammer, all that stuff. Their is also many other lifts like Towel Bench, Box Squat, Incline Press, Glute Ham, Leg extensions, straight leg dead lift, and the list goes on and on....

Edited by Killer

I wouldn't see a problem with you lifting. Most of what has been said here is good advice. More important than anything is make sure that you use proper form. Don't get into the "I wanna be cool and lift as much weight as possible zone" because that will get you hurt. You need to lift what you can lift while using the proper form. I fell victim to this in high school. My coaches thought it would be fun to see how much I could squat my freshman year, I was a big fella for a freshman, 6' 170. They put 405 on the squat rack and told me to box squat it...to make a long story short, I did it, but it squished the heck outta my spine when I hit that box and I have paid for it ever since.

rgr that to what bubblegum said. form is more important than how much weight you do. when doing reps don't be quick to just knock it out as fast as possible without thinking about your form. take your time. bend your muscle to the optimal position and then extend all the way. this way you get a full range of motion and work the most amount of muscles. don't be like the those cheaters who try to bench press 200+ by only goin less than halfway down...it's worthless to you then.

One of the most important things, if not the most important things is to properly stretch before/after you lift. Our coaches are all about form, we dont power lift, but we have charts that we go by, and different things we do each week. At some times I wish our school had a powerlifting team, but thats how people get hurt.

I remember my freshmen year, I was just a little guy Benchin 120, mabye 125, squatin 175, deadliftin mabye 250, or so, now im a junior with dese numbers

Bench: 255

Squat: 455

DeadLift: 550

Box Squat: 635 (school redord)

Power Clean: 180

Im movin on up.