strange problems

Slaphappy

Ok so I got a new 9800 pro for 199. I install it and my computer freezes evey time during the end of loading windows right before it loads desktop.

After many many restarts and a few loads in safe mode it boots up. So I try installing the drivers and I get this message.

"Setup was unable to find componets that can be installed on your current hardware or software config. Please make sure your have the required hardwhere or software"

I got the same message after I DL drives from ATI's website.

So I put back in my old card. (9600) and it boots fine. I install the drivers on the cd and put back in the 9800 pro.

After a few trys I got it to boot. My only guess was it not having enough power so unpluged one of my cd roms and unpluged my disk drive.

I Plugged the othe cdrom and started up my computer it runs but it isn't usablee. Even as I type there is a 5 sec delay after every letter.

my power supply is a radema 350.

I got it to start up but my computer runs incredible slow. From running games to just opeing up window things take 5 to 7 times longer than normaly.

Anyone have any Idea what might cause this.

Computer specs are.

amd 1800

512 ram

40 gig maxtor and 120 gig maxtor

DVD rom and Cd burner

floppy

9800 pro

mobo is epox ep-8rda+

Edited by Slaphappy

We'll I'm assuming it has somthing to do with my powersupply as I unplugged both cd roms and unpluged all 4 of my cold cathods and turned down my fans my computer runs alot faster. The mouse no longer lags nor does it lag when I type.

So along with any other thoughs anyone wanna recommend a powersupply. Let me add however thats funds are kinda tight.

9800 Pro > cold cathodes & multitudes of fans

The only thing you didn't say you did was uninstall your old video card drivers.

When I did my swap from Ti4600 I uninstalled the nVidia drivers, [reboot],ran Norton Windoctor (in hopes it might clean up any residue), and then powered down and put in the 9800 Pro, booted up, installed latest Catalyst drivers from ATi website.

Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply $44

yea slap ATI is natorious for having to remove the old drivers.

make sure especiially if you had an nvidia card in there. I had an ati to an ati and it still froze just like yours. So lose the old drivers unfortunatley it can be a real real real pain to remove all the files. Some people I've emailed with removed the driver and it wasnt enough they had to go in manually into folders and remove these files that their old cards had set up.

me and my cousin had to learn all this the hard way and since then im using nividia and am totally happy.

good luck man

(edited)
yea slap ATI is natorious for having to remove the old drivers. 

:unsure:

This is pretty much the basic practice for any piece of hardware. You uninstall the old drivers before you remove the hardware. Shutdown, and then install the new hardware. Add drivers when it asks.

So lose the old drivers unfortunatley it can be a real real real pain to remove all the files.

Or you can just use the uninstall feature.

ATI specifically tells you the method needed to update your drivers too.

If you don’t take the time to read the install instructions then I wouldn’t expect it to work.

On a side note ATI was the first consumer 3d accelerator company that offered an uninstall of it's drivers a couple years back.

Slap I like this powersupply a bunch.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-154-013&depa=0

36 bucks shipped.

Edited by Birdman

I got a new PSU on the way. Right now things are working ok with one of my cd roms unpluged and all my cathods off.

He's the weird thing. I Haven't noticed much of a differce at all. I have to run BFV at 1024x768 16bit with med to low settings just to have it smooth. I'm worried that my vid card is not my bottle neck. Or that in my attempts to remove all the drives I didn't do so.

I unstalled and deleted the ATI folder. But since my last card was a Radeon 9600 and this one is a 9800 pro...I use the same driver from ati's sight.

Other possible bottle necks. 512 noname ram... XP 1800 (runs at 1.5) that is currently OC to run at 1.7

what ya think.. Anyone know a sight that tells me how to get rid of all the drivers if ya think thats it?

Computer specs are.

amd 1800

512 ram

40 gig maxtor and 120 gig maxtor

DVD rom  and Cd burner

floppy

9800 pro

mobo is epox ep-8rda+

with these specks in mind. What should I try to upgrade next. The ram or the Processer but keep in mind right now that 1800 is OC and running at 1.7 not the normal 1.5

And would give me alot of bang for my buck as far as ugrading would go.

Saddly i'm not really up to date on what kinda ram is good (I know big names but thats about it) Plus it'd be nice to use me hole dule ram thingy on my mobo.

But I think I was told a processer would help out more..not sure

My setup's very similar to yours Slap.

athlon xp 1800+ @ 1.5

512 (1 stick) Kingston valueram

40 gig maxtor (currently unplugged)

40 gig western digital

floppy

9800 Pro

ECS k7s5a

350 watt power supply

i didn't have any problems with the 9800 Pro, but I only have 2 CD Rom drives being powered, my 1 case fan isn't running (even though it's plugged in...any idea why?)

I'm planning to upgrade the mobo and hopefully RAM next, as well as snag one of those power supplies.

(edited)

Ya I kinda having to leave my cathods unpluged but then agian I have 8 led case fans all running as well as a huge blower fan on my cpu, all that with 4 cathodes 2 harddrives 2 cdroms a floppy

and a 9800 pro, was a little more than my PSU was up too

Ya so the ram I have is some off brand for best buy

On a side note my case sounds kinda like a jet about to take off. thank goodness for fan controlers...oh ya that lights up too hehe

As far as the fan goes plug it in somewhere else and if that doesn't work just get a new case fan. They only cost like 3 bucks

Edited by Slaphappy