HELP!

KiRiN

ok im dealing with the mobo from hell.

i can't install windows and it wont boot windows.

the system specs are:

Enlight 300w PSU

Athlon XP 2500+ 333FSB

2 sticks of kingtson valueram ddr333 256mb cas2.5

MSI K7n2gm-l mobo

liteon cdrw/dvd

WD 40gig

i've tried swtiching the HD master jumper as its on the same IDE cable as the cdrw, i've tried different sticks of ram (corsair XMS ddr400 512mb) i've tried booting from a different HD that has windows on it. i've tried seting the board to safe mode, i've tried booting windows in safe mode. i've tried different windows discs. tomorrow im trying another PSU and putting both drives on different IDE channels... if that doesnt work im out of ideas. any help????? please?!??!?!

edit... missed your 2nd post.

I had a issue a couple weeks ago installing XP on my other PC, turned out it was the cd-rom not reading the disk very well. Do you have a different dvd/cd rom to use?

Also, when ever I install XP, I use the boot disks (requires 6 floppys), and during that process I delete the partition, and reformat it.

1. Is this a new motherboard? Has it run before and you are just reinstalling stuff?

2. Have any or all of the other parts successfully ran in a system before?

3. It's best not to put your CD-ROM or RW on the same channel as your main HD. Get another IDE cable to put it on.

4. Have you tried just one stick of RAM in different slots?

5. Do you know your way around the BIOS and have you set up everything correctly? I assume you are not overclocking.

6. Have you looked in the AMDmb.com MSI motherboard forum?

7. Did you see the red warning on the MSI site? here Newegg user comments seem split, couple say won't work on nForce2 mobos and others seem to give it good marks on same.

8. Does your mobo require an IDE driver when you start loading Windows (the "Hit F6" thing)?

(edited)

yes its new.

i tested the ram in my system and it ran fine, havent test the rest outside yet.

puting a second IDE cable in tomorrow see if that helps.

yes, both slots.

fairly good enough, everything i've looked at is correct in bios

yup, they've been... well they have been somewhat helpful

yeah, but it had all the features i wanted, and i've used MSI boards before and as Kingston is good ram i didnt think i'd have a problem. teaches me to trust a company.

*edit* it said only hit F6 for Scsi drives

Edited by KiRiN

well tried having the drives on different IDE channels, tried a new psu, and tried loading knopix (sp?) and nothing. so its going back tomorrow, thinking of geting the albatron.

See if the capacitors ( cylindarical things ) on mobo are poped...happened to me couple of months ago, same symptoms as u described, wont start up, freeze on boots, I also tried different HDs and cleared CMOS and BIOS nothing...

Turned out those capacitors bursted due to the electrical current being unstable ....also could be because of the age...mine was 2 yo old and was NOT running through APC.

Look at capacitors they should be clear and all.... If they have stuff sticking out of them then you can have them replaced easily in any PC store for ~ 30$

Good luck!

If it is the capacitors, he should contact the mobo manufacturer and try to get the mobo replaced for free (if there is no obvious charring around the CPU that is). Many mobo's were shipped out with faulty capacitors a year or so ago.

(edited)

well the board of evil has been sent back to wence it came, and i've ordered a replacement. im geting the albatron KM18G pro 2.0.

*edit* missing the G in KM18G

Edited by KiRiN

haha shaw? Check the capacitors!!!! It reminded me of your problem dude I started laughing thinking oh man what a headache.

dude, your prob could be a series of things.

Make sure your jumpers are set to auto detect your cpu. If their placed wrong which happens now and then you can have the wrong voltages and multipliers set and your system can do wierd stuff like that.

but to make things easy get a replacement

I bought a ECS mb socket A for 34 bucks from microknowledge and man o man what a piece of turd that thing was.

We sent it back and bought a msi from newegg for 50 and blamo it works just fine.

auggybendoggy