Human nature in Christian tradition..

I'm still trying to figure out my whole thoughts on the 10 commandments issue...which definatly is important for the whole "killing" thing...

I mean I'm not saying God WANTS me to go kill people...but if I AM under the new covenant and not the old and the 10 commandments were the old...maybe there ARE situations where killing someone would be ok.

I firmly believe that God is ok with Saddam Hussein being killed for what he did...but again I think this goes back to God judged him way before I did...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but if I AM under the new covenant and not the old and the 10 commandments were the old...maybe there ARE situations where killing someone would be ok.

Old convenant= Old testament, New convenant= New testament(gospels) and Jesus?

I went to church(online tonight and this is what I heard..

Playaa, I'm wondering what in the NT would indicate murder was justified?

interesting point. the only thing i can find(and that is where im trying to pull my examples of situational "ok-ness")is that we are to obey the authorities on this earth. Unless they tell you to dishonor God.

yeah, I didn't say murder...I said killing...and there IS a difference (i.e. soul's mention of execution)

your link won't work Watch

and Old Covenant and New Covenant and OT and NT aren't TOTALLY interchangeable.

it's more like the OT includes the OC and the NT includes the NC...but the entire OT isn't the OC...

the OC is the part where God promised Abraham that a nation would come from his son...and the subsequent promises God made to the Isrealites and the things he told them to obey...that's the OC.

the NC is what we have with Christ...that he is our sacrifice and will be our "intercessor" between God's judgement and us...

now what I'm trying to figure out...is whether we're under the laws of the OC just not the sacrifice part...except Paul said specifically somewhere (will find it) that "we are not under the Law" (law is capitalized because it was speaking specifically about Torah, the jewish Law also the first 5 books of the OT)

It works for me.. Loads an .RM file..

Basically is saying, there is Good and Bad.. What does God expect from us? Sermon on the Mount. Matthew 5:17-18

"do not think that I came to abolish the law or the prophets. I ahve not come to abolish them, I have come to fulfill them. I tell you the truth until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, will by anymeans disappear from the law until everything is accomplished."

13:8

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Then starts talking about "either we are reading the word of God, or some antique artifact blah blah blah.."

I guess murder doesn't equal killing. But old law required high levels of evidence, 2 witness and was intended to be the ultimate deterrant ie; eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. If you killed a pregnant woman, it was up to the husband. I guess it's also ok to be somewhere between.