advice on school

NOFX

(edited)

Ok, Im in a major problem and could use some advice...

This is my 4th year at a University and im a computer science major:networking concentration.

First off, I was not a very motivated student my first couple of years here. I was on academic probation for a while and such but that was when i was a sophmore. Here is my problem...

Im now finished with all my gen ed and have nothign but ITEC classes left and Calculus. I cannot pass calculus. I have taken it three times. But this time Im acctually trying, but im still failing. Im starting to believe its somethign i cant do.

Next Im not doing good at all in my 3 Senior level ITEC courses. Im sure I could do good if I was taking them separtely, but my work load is HUGE.

Programming in Java III

web programing II

Principals of Comp architecture

Calc.

Because Im a moron and didnt care about school when I came here. I have used up all my drops and Im only allowed to repeat one more class...

I HATE programming in java, I dont want to do that stuff. I want to go into networking, i cant believe I have to take that crap. My family wont support me anymore if I tell them how bad im doing and im gong to take longer than 5 years to graduate. So I have a few choices to make.

1. If I get C's in my ITEC classes I can retake calc again next year

and have another semester of HELL with Itec classes and calculus.

2. waste what I have so far and drop out and possibly go to community college?

3. forget my family keep taking out loans and finish here at the University no matter how long it takes me.

any advice or positive outlook is appreciated.

Edited by NOFX

3. forget my family keep taking out loans and finish here at the University no matter how long it takes me.

minus the forgetting your family...

basically...own up to the mistakes you made and work harder at it.

I gotta ask what college you're going to that's making you take Java III when you're a networking major though...doesn't seem to be the best one out there.

(edited)
I gotta ask what college you're going to that's making you take Java III when you're a networking major though...doesn't seem to be the best one out there.

www.radford.edu

The school's CS department sucks. It got moved from the college of science to the new information tech college. Last year was the first year it was implemented. It sucks, cuz these classes are like the 2-3 time it has ever been taught at the school.

Oh well I talked to my teachers and they all said I could still get a C. So im just gonna bust my donkey.

Edited by NOFX

you know what. I'm in the same boat

I'm 2nd year Electronics Engineering Technology. The course is a 3 year program but i bombed a core course in 1st semester which put me behind. I'm also having difficulty in calculus. Is this basic calculus like Calculus I where you learn derrivatives and integrals. Or is it Calculus II where it's crazy. I passed my first calculus class but this one is killing me.

In your case you're almost done, just try harder. I had trouble with programming. We had a C course and a follow up course. The original was easy cuz the guy who taught it was dumb. The follow up course was extremely hard because we got a guy whose been in the field for 30 years and he was giving us stuff we needed to know. Basically writing programs that are used for Palm pilots. I didn't think i was gonna make it but i stuck in there and finished (just barely). If all else fails community college isn't that bad. That's where i am. You can just finish up there, or take a summer school course for calculus and get a tutor.

Finish your degree, no matter what the financial cost. I was stupid, it took me 8 years to get my Engineering Degree, Bachelors that is. The first four years my father paid for outright, I think I had a cumulative GPA of about 1.2 after the first four years. When he stopped payin, and I had to pay the bill or get the loan, whatdaya know, my GPA went up to 3.5 for the next four years. I got my degree finally, and 20k in loans to pay back, but I'm glad I didn't quit.

Stick with it, Calculus is difficult. I had to take Calc I,II, III, and DiffEq. My advice would be to cut back some hours if its too hard to take them all at once. Yeah, it takes a little longer to finish. But you won't have had to take the classes over again and in the long run it will be cheaper...ie, repeating a class costs money.

Guest k3n
Guest k3n
Guest k3n
Guests

If you need money go to navy.com airforce.com or army.com

They probally have a program where they will pay for you to finish your degree and you sign up as an officer for 6 years. Officers have it made in the military.

The only downsize to this is,

1. You do what other people say

2. You need to attend a college with a Nrotc program for the service you are joining.

3. No more drinking and smoking the bad stuff

I think the military is great, its easy to do when your young, you get money to do almost nothing, you stay in shape, they pay for medical, dental, housing, almost everything but "entertainment" stuff.

Other than calc you can probably find some help around these parts also.

I think calc was what caused me to change majors. After failing the first class I knew I didn't want to do that level of math anymore. Course I've been a software developer for years now and have never used calc so....

As far as your situation...go for the C's...bust the donkey cause it's only one more year right? Then your free!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finish your degree. Listen to Bubble. You're close, just get it done.

My Computer Science degree required a math minor (similar classes that Bubble listed). I had a witch of a time with Calculus as well. I ended up taking it at a local community college because it was cheaper and easier. I then transferred it in and was able to take Calc II, DiffEQ and one other (that escapes me). They were all tough, but getting over that first Calc I hill was the pain.

And Gond has it - I've been designing and implementing networks for 10 years - never used Calculus. As a matter of fact, outside of my binary and hex (which I learned in electrical engineering), I can't think of any situation where my math minor helped me at all.

Just gun for your C and get the h-e-double hockey sticks out of there. After your first job, NOBODY cares about your grade point.

I definitely agree. Especially if you're this close, there's now WAY you should give up on the degree. Bust donkey to get the Cs in your ITEC (sp?) classes. As for the calculus...Well, honestly, I think he can get help here, too. There's only a limited amount of help that can be given over the net, but there have to be some people here who can do calculus well. But it is a tough subject. I was a math major, and I did horribly in all of my calc classes. But, it IS something that can be learned provided you give the subject a LOT of time and effort. It is not an easy subject to get ahold of, and Calc I is the hardest calc course because the mode of thinking is so dramatically different than pretty much anything else. Stick with it...You'll get that degree if you want it. Perhaps you won't get it on your preferred time table, but you will get it. And there's definitely nothing wrong with finishing up in community college if you decide you don't want the University degree that badly -- you want to be in networking, right? You can get some great hands-on training in that field at community colleges and tech. schools.

But do get a degree. You're so close, you can do it, and you know you've got us backing you as much as we can. Best of luck!

thanks for the positive outlook guys, I defintely made it a priority to finish.

Here is how bad I have done in calc in the past. I dropped it the first week of school when i got here when I was a freshman(im now a 4th year junior :P ) I withdrew from it last year. I took it last summer at community college and failed it.

Well here is how things are looking now.

Web Programming II, most likely a C(I just built a killer Job Listings website for the University that will be implemented soon)

Principals of comp architecture - another C, only because I got a 30 on my first test, I got 100's on the homework and an 80 on my second test.

Calculus - I think im going to pass!!!! I did much better than I thought on my second test. I got a 70. I just have to do good on my final and I never ever have to see calculus again

Princ. of comp sci III - Not looking good guys, I serisously doubt im going to pass this class, its all good though, because I can retake it next year with a different teacher that might acctually teach me something, instead of babble on about the effectivness of sorting alorgithms.

Im going to community college this summer to take a few more Gen classes.

And yes my GPA does suck, a 2.23. Im not to worried though, because I know that I know my stuff and if you was to interview me you could tell that I know what im doing and Like you said, I have a good feeling noone cares once you have your first job.

I do work at the computer repair center for the university and hopefully(keep your fingers crossed) I have an internship this summer as a Java programmer. So that would definetly look good on my resume. ^_^

Yes, great job, stick in there. Like I said, I took 4 semesters of Calc, if you have a question I can probably at least get you in the right direction. If nether one of us can figure it out, I have a good friend who likes to do calculus for fun.....(ok, not really for fun, but he enjoys doing calculus) and I'm sure he'd be willing to help out too.

As far as getting a job goes. Fresh out of college I don't think they expect you to know a whole lot about what you are getting into. You are just expected to know the basics. I have a few friends who own businesses and have talked candidly with my boss about the fact that the most impressive point as a new-grad that you can make to them is that you will 1)show up and be on time(sounds pathetic, but to hear them talk, you have no idea how hard it is to find someone who will show up) and 2)are willing to work your donkey off to get the job done for them. The job-specific stuff you are going to have to learn from experience.

• 3 weeks later...

got my calc exam in 5 hours, been in the library since 5:00 pm yesterday studying for this beyotch. Im plan on stayin up the rest of the night, Im gonna pass this exam if the the last thing I do. My only motivation is if I finally pass this thing, it will be the last time I EVER have to see calculus. my brain feels a little fried :freak:

ooohhh yeeeaaa, I retook the first exam but did not do better than I did on the first which was a 55. I kept my second midterm grade of a 67. But on the third part I got an 88!!!!!!!!!! which gave me a C in the class.

wow, I just did the math...55+67+88 = 210, 210/3= 70 I was cutting it pretty close, who cares?!?! No more calc ever!!!!!

I need a 2.0 to stay here in school...

Looks like I am gonna get it!

English - C

Psychology - A

World of the Arts - B

Economics - C

2.9 GPA...wasn't what I thought I was gonna get yesterday...I thought I had an A in Economics...but I was way off :(

Oh well...MUCH better than the .4 I got last semester!

• 2 weeks later...

yep GJ man, I got a .7 one semester, next semester I had a 2.5, Still doesnt beat first semester freshman year. My mid-term GPA was a .09, I even hung it up on my door :)