Post your HD / RAID benchmarks here

Get ATTO, HDTach, and Winbench99 here, and configure ATTO as shown, then post your results here!

Please include your system specs with each benchmark result post including hard drives and how they are setup, motherboard, cpu, and OS. Include drivers and chipset info if you know it.

Winbench99 scores a long spreadsheet as the results, nice to look at but not easily posted. Also, it will automatically defrag your system, reboot, and run itself. The tests take about 30 minutes in addition to any defrag time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

atto1.jpg

There's my ATTO score. For reference WD Raptors in the AMDmb.com forums are frequently reported as 105-120 MB/sec for 36gb, and 120-140 MB/sec for the 74gb ones.

My RAID 0 here suffers from being on one IDE cable so data is both coming and going. You can see it in the jagged read/write. If they were on separate channels this should be more of an arc or line.

hdtach1.jpg

For comparison I have an identical WD800JB drive that is on it's own IDE connectors to the mobo, no RAID controller.

atto2.jpg

hdtach2.jpg

As you can see it performs pretty good against the RAID 0. It's not that this drive is so great, again, it's that my 2 RAID drives are on one IDE cable. My mobo supports SATA RAID as well and we'll see in a couple of months when I get a pair of Raptors what happens.

(edited)

Wow I did not know that you can have a raid setup on ide or i would have done this long ago...

hd.jpg

Raid setup is defintely on the to do soon list.

I changed length to 32, helped some but still nowhere near your scores homer, would serial be much greater than yours?

Edited by NOFX

RAID has been available on IDE for years. I personally have run RAID 0 for a little over 4 years now (on IDE).

Serial should be only a little better on it's own over IDE at this point. the Western Digital Raptor drives in RAID 0 score dowble what I get now with IDE not so much becasue they are SATA, but because they are 10,000rpm.

In short, yes.

Some of the RAID chip manufacturer's claim you can use different speed/size/brand drives but it's the general concensus that it only leads to problems and errors. I'd never use different drives. Only use the same brand/model/size.

:D <rant>What, just because I've been harping about IDE being a horrendously geriatric technology that should have been outdated long ago? I mean, it says something when a serial transfer mode not only surpasses a parallel mode but in second and third-level specs blows it out of the water. But I whine only because I lack the ability to invent a better hard drive myself </rant>. But since we're talking about geriatric technologies, don't get me started on SMTP... :bang: