Slow PC - Very slow

soul .gc

Ok - I have an AMD2100+ with 512mb pc2100. The motherboard is brand new along with a new GEforce 5600XT 256mb video card.

It keeps getting slower though. I have XP loaded on it right now which I love.

I go to play UT2004. It takes a good 20-30 seconds to get to the server screen which does not bother me as much as the next step. Once I connect to a UT2004 server it takes forever to load the game. I am always the last person to join a new map, usually by 20-30 seconds. Once a map loads then I am fine with no problems though. When I go to exit UT2004 it takes almost a minute of non-stop hard drive grinding before I can do anything else on this machine.

The hard drive seems to be constantly working lately as well. I have the latest McAfee pack installed and no viruses are on the system but this slowness is killin me.

Any suggestions?

With this new motherboard and video card, I assume a fresh install of Windows XP?

Did you install all the motherboard drivers, and install them correctly?

What model mobo?

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and check the Performance and Processes tabs, anything unusual?

Does this happen with any other game?

Does the drive only chug during gaming or does it happen at idle in Windows as well?

Yea, installed XP fresh on my HDD with a new format and fdisk and all that fun stuff.

It is an ASRock motherboard with all drivers loaded upon install. Here is the board itself: http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7S8XE%2B.htm

The process tab always has a few things I never know what they are....I checked one day and they are XP processes like SVCHOST, but I have 4 of them running and a couple others.

It happens when I exit any game and also upon shutdown, it takes a good minute to shut down.

The drive grinds away mostly with this and CoD but not CS as much and not when idle.

Is your hard drive SATA or IDE?

If SATA, are the SATA drivers installed?

Is your 512mb one stick or two?

Have you run Ad-Aware?

Was the system fast and 'normal' when you first built it and it's gotten slower, or it has been slow since you built it and getting worse?

I'm getting that same problem. Loading games, loading maps, exiting games, all are very long processes. (>30sec)

It's quite annoying. Thanks for that tip about the motherboard drivers, I'm not sure if they're installed.

512 RAM, Lots of Hard drive noise. Bet you have a IDE HD. I bet UR2K4 takes up alot of memory also. That loud noise is probably your hard drive acting as a swap file.

IDE Hard Drive - 40GB with a 40GB secondary as well. UT2004 is installded on the secondary.

512MB is one stick.

Nothing on the system when I run ad-aware.

I have been considering upgrading to something like Wilco has in his Sig but have not decided yet. Everything but the OCZ since it is more expensive than the Motherboard or the processor.

Is it worth going to the A64? or is the regular 3000 just as good?

I was just reading on another thread about RAID0 so I may do that as well or go to a SATA drive....I am just tired of the slow performance.

i still say get a barton core amd. the extra 256k cache more then your thourobred amd will help tons with gaming. your graphics card is very nice but doesnt have the cpu power behind it to make it perform how it can. faster ram will help also but if i had to pick one i would go barton core, 5:4 dram with your current ram. Huge performance boost for CHEAP.

Homer,Apr 5 2004, 12:35 AM] Well, for starters he'd be handicapped with his 266mhz RAM with a 333mhz processor assuming his mobo supports 333mhz.......

no more handicapped then the other 80% of the world using dram ratios. :P

Supported CPU: Socket A AMD Duron/Athlon/AthlonXP Processors

Chipset: SiS 748 + SiS 964

FSB: 400/333/266/200MHz

RAM: 3x DIMM for DDR400/333/266 Max 1/2/3GB

IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI

Ports: 2xPS/2,1xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB2.0,1xLAN,Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: 5.1-Channel AC97 Codec

Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet

Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1/JBOD

Form Factor: ATX

as we can see support is not an issue. pretty much good to go with any socket A chip and and ram.

I see you have two IDE 40 Gig HD's. I did not know it but you can setup raid on IDE drives on a single IDE cable. If I was you, I would defintely give this a shot. Even though I dont have raid.....If you got that working, i would guarentee much faster loading times.

I was just checking my drives and one is a 30GB 7200RPM and the other is a 40GB 5400rpm.

My OS and most programs run off the 30GB but I put UT2004 on the 40GB because of its size.

I was just checking prices and I can get a Raptor 36GB for $85.

I have my Barton 2500+ OC'ed to just over 3200+ speeds, same as Lunk. My temp never even changed but I watercool. I want to play around with voltages a bit to see what else I can get out of it but all in all, I am very satisfied.

honestly, one of the main reasons I went from 1800+ to P4 is.....

Old Setup:

1800+

768PC2100

a7n8x-deluxe

9500 pro

I upgraded the processor and RAM to

2500+ they can very very easily OC'd at 3200+

512 PC2700

It wasnt the performace gain that I expected so I went P4.