The Rosary?

basically, as i see it, its a counter....with the rosary you are saying the "Hail Mary" prayer, 50 times...5 sets of 10 beads...each set has a diffent meaning...well i can't really explain it, its been quite some time...this will help understand

the way i see it, the Rosary is in no way Idolatry but a counter...but i can see hosw someone would say it is, since you are kissing the cross and holding it in hand while praying...it is a way to remember Jesus' life.

Well, the whole idea of rote prayer as penance for sin strikes me as funny but I don't see it as idolatry or anything bad. As Trouble said, it is basically a counter. "Hmm, did I say 4 Hail Mary's or 5? Oh, I am on the big bead, guess that was 5."

I guess it all depends on how it's used...

if it is used as an aid to prayer and worship of God...fine...I tend to use music to help me worship and pray...

but if it ever supplants God...(i.e. someone feels they can't get forgiveness without it) then I don't think it's a good thing

"The Rosary", says the Roman Breviary, "is a certain form of prayer wherein we say fifteen decades or tens of Hail Marys with an Our Father between each ten, while at each of these fifteen decades we recall successively in pious meditation one of the mysteries of our Redemption." The same lesson for the Feast of the Holy Rosary informs us that when the Albigensian heresy was devastating the country of Toulouse, St. Dominic earnestly besought the help of Our Lady and was instructed by her, so tradition asserts, to preach the Rosary among the people as an antidote to heresy and sin.

to preach the Rosary among the people as an antidote to heresy and sin

see that's the part I don't understand...how does saying prayers over a necklace get you forgiven of sin?

how do you get forgiven?  ask? or pray? 

i'd pray.

its a counter....it does not help you get forgiven....it helps you count

sorry...let me rephrase...

how does saying hail mary's over the necklace help?

yes when I ask for forgiveness I pray for the specific sins...but how does saying the "hail mary" over and over again help?

I mean I don't think it hurts...and I guess God knows the heart...

so I guess it's not WHAT you say...but how you say it...

Mary is likened to divinity in the Catholic faith, thus "Holy Mary, Mother of God". Hail Mary's are people praying to Mary to pray to Jesus on their behalfs, with the mindset that Jesus will definitely listen to His own mother.