One step closer

General J

very nice J

man...if I get my new job I'm really leaning toward getting a bike...if I do you gotta come out to the suburbs where I live and go cruisin on some twisty back roads with me.

:D

and no matter what, not even if there is a heat wave going on...wear your equipment.

When I was 12, my dad and I were getting ready to ride his week-old Honda V65 Sabre to Florida. We went to a friend's house to borrow his saddlebags. My dad had just got me a faceplate for my helmet. His was upstairs and didn't want to go get it so I was the only one with a helmet and we were both wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts.

On the return home trip (return from his friend's, not FL) a car didn't see us and pulled out in front of us. I ended up with a compound fracture (means breaking the skin, i.e., my bones were sticking out) of the tibia and fibula (lower leg bones) and minor scrapes.

My dad on the other hand suffered a fairly bad ankle injury (maybe broke it...foot rest was bent into his leg) a broken elbow, and a concussion on the back of his head (perfectly matching the hairline fracture in my helmet at the front...i.e., we knocked heads and I won). He was in a semi-coma for 11 days.

Cuz the doctors were so concerned with his head injury, the ignored the ankle and elbow almost entirely and gangreen formed in the ankle and an extra calcium deposit started forming over his elbow slowly decreasing his range of motion in bending his arm. The had to cut out the gangrenous flesh in his ankle and took a graph from his thigh to cover it but it didn't take. He had to have a couple (maybe three) separate operations to have the calcium deposits on his elbow removed (they kept reforming but eventually stopped) and still doesn't have full range with it (although he is probably at at least 85%).

He still walks with a slight limp and has some minor brain damage that causes him to fly off the handle a little easier than before (it was pretty easy before though) but he has contolled that easily since he renewed his relationship with God several years back. The doctor said, if he had been wearing his helmet and riding boots, he probably would have walked away from the accident with minor scrapes.

Moral? Wear your equipment.

You will have to let me know if you do get a bike playaa. I will most definitly be looking for any excuse to go ride :D .

Missourians in general really do not know how to drive around motorcycles. As one guy put it on the ninja board i frequent, "In the UK it may be called lane splitting, but in Missouri it's called suicide." :blink:

I am going tomorrow afternoon to get a riding lesson from my girlfriends dad. I think he is actually going to let me practice on his BMW K75! :wub:His bike looks a lot like this. Parking lot time will allow me to actually get out and get some practice around my neighborhood when i bring my bike home. :D

• 2 weeks later...
im getting my bike license this summer and i plan to buy a gsx 750..i think  so watch out when im on the road going 160 mph !  :P

Smart, you ever ridden before? And how big are you? I would suggest starting with something smaller than a 750.. Not much room for error there. You accidentally roll on the throttle too much trying not to stall the bike and you just bought yourself some road rash and possibly new fairings.. Just a suggestion, but if you really want to just jump right into larger size bikes, try a 500 or 600 that isn't fuel injected. Maybe look at a GS500F or a Sv650S. Light bikes with decent power. You need to learn mechanics and basics before you just decide to tear her open down the highway. What happens when that cager decides to cut right in front of you or pull out in front of you claiming, " Officer, I never even saw him, I don't know where he came from!" o0o

i was up @ steak n shake for a car show last friday and these guys were talking about these bikers doing stoppies and whatnot drunk and wiped out. about 5 seconds later like 6 guys come up doing stoppies and wheelies drunk and stuff. pretty ironic, they didn't get hurt tho.

and no matter what, not even if there is a heat wave going on...wear your equipment.

This is me in Death Valley a couple of years ago on or about August 1st. It's 130 degrees. Notice I'm wearing full gear. I dumped 3 liters of water down my gear, I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans underneath. I had woken up at 8700' elevation in Yosemite National Park about 4 hours previous. The teperature there was 38 degrees.

b20.jpg

b22.jpg

Two hours later when I got to I-15 the thermometer at the truck stop said 117 degrees. I went on to L.A. to stay with my sister that night. She and I started talking when I pulled the bike into her garage. I was standing there and had to excuse myself to take a shower because I suddenly was overcome with my own stench!

p.s. That's a BMW Aeroflow (or Aerowhatever) jacket and is truley AWESOME for anything over 70 degrees. I would have passed out from the heat in anything else. Joe Rocket pants, wore my Joe Rocket jacket on the colder parts of the trip.

Here's that morning in Yosemite, it was cold!

b16.jpg

The bike is a 2000 BMW R1100R. I have a black North Face rafting bag (weatherproof, it's rubberized) with all my camping gear and clothes. Made a nice backrest too. Kool-Rider I got off Ebay, it's a small ice chest with cooling or heating depending on which way you plug it in. It will cool things about 40 degrees below ambient temp (BMWs have an accessory socket). I mounted it to the rear rack and put drinks and food in it. No carbonated stuff though, it would have exploded. The standard BMW hard bags had riding gear, tools, and everything else in them.

That was the first and only time I experienced how heat messes with your head. You hear about those stories of Mexican immigrants crossing the desert in the heat and dying out there. Well, I did get a little loopy in Death Valley between Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek, the two main destinations in the valley. I took my time and drank plenty of water at Furnace Creek when I got there. I bought 6 extra liters of water and put them in my bags in case I had a breakdown, although cars were passing by every few minutes I didn't want to take any chances.

(edited)

I rode alot of different bike i rode my stepdads harly fatboy and my friends bros r1 and his r6 and his suzuki 600 sisters boyfriends gsx and it was scary but i got used to it i fell in love with that bike its smooth fast and cool looking but becareful i lifted the wheels off once and it scared the you no what out of me but this is the exact one i want too

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GSXR750K4/Default.aspxt bike

sweet *Drool* *Drool* :wub:

or this one i dont no yet still to decide

http://www.yamahamotor.com/products/unitin...aha_yzf-r1.aspx

yamaha yzf R-1

*Drool* *Drool* Me Want !

Much <3

SmartPartz

Edited by SmartPartz

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe I am not, but it sounds like you have never really spent good time on a bike. When you say you lifted the front and it scared you, that sounds to me like you accidentally rolled on it just a bit too much on accident. If this is the case, I would worry about you and a larger displacement bike. I am not going to rant and rave. All I am going to suggest is you start on something like a 250, or maybe even a 500 or slower 600 before you jump in over your head. Master the finer points before you move on to a no-mistakes-allowed machine (the R1 if you havent figured that out...) The R1 will hit 100 mph before the redline in 1ST GEAR.... 1st... not 3rd or 4th.. 1ST. The gear you start rolling from will launch you to 100 mph.. think about that awhile. That's all I am saying smart.

Personally, I like my life and would like to actually enjoy motorcycling and not scare myself silly. I would like to be able to say, wow I like this a lot, now I am prepared to step up to a bigger toy. I decided to wait to buy my bike till after the MSF course is completed. And then, I am still going with a 250 to learn. Not to die on.

I'm trading a computer for a Suzuki GT 550, a 2-stroke! I think it's a 1974. My father-in-law and his buddy have bought it back and forth for the last 20 years. Now I'm gonna get it. :D Here's a pic and some specs. 50hp then was kick-arse!

I rode the bike last Thanksgiving for about 30 minutes and it is a scream, it has this very low bbbbbbbrrrrrrrooooooooooooooowwwwww at lower RPMs and it changes to a rrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa as you rev up.

• 3 weeks later...
Gixxer 750 is a lotta bike.

Yes it was.. How about that Suzuki Hyabusa Trouble and I saw on the road the other day.. 1350CC..

Top Speed : 190.3 mph(limiter off who knows how fast..)

Standing quarter : 10.3 sec @ 143.9 mph

0-60 mph : 2.8 sec!!!!!!!!

0-100 mph : 5.3 sec!!!!

Power : 151.6 bhp

Torque : 94 ft-lbs

Measured wet weight : 252 kg

That's just insane.

keith1.jpg

I have read the forums that the all famous Nick Slick frequents ( here ) And they estimated that it would take 800+ HP to actually overtake a Busa. I have a nice neat, Nick Slick video of him and some busa friends racing a Doug Levine Motorsports built viper (around 800-900 hp) on a desert road. The stock one gets walked out by the viper. The next busa with only a modified airbox and new exhaust totally rips the viper. The big bore busa (nick's) eats it alive. I can send anyone the video if they would like to see it. But in the mean time, here is a link to a magazine article featuring his bike -->Click the pages to enlarge and read. 203HP with out the nitrous... 220 with. I love when he says "Push it harder. If you wreck it, I will climb under it and tell the cops I did it!" What a guy huh? :laughcry: