Arthur

gOOters

I'd hafta give it at LEAST an 85/100...and I'm making it lower for 2 reasons:

1) I don't want to get caught up in my excitement of the film

2) it was too short.

I think the thing that made this film was the actors by far. Especially Gawain (Joel Edgerton) and Tristan (Mads Mikkelsen)...but all the actors in general were not very famous (at least I didn't know em except Kira Knightly) and yet they all fit their parts so well and played them very well. (if you look at the IMDB profile of the movie, I will bet you haven't heard of a one of the main characters except Keira Knightly...I just love when a film is made and has good acting and I have no idea who the actors are.

*edit*

heh, just read the IMDB review and they had this to say about Cerdic (the villain)

Secondly, you need a good villain and King Arthur provides us with one of the most shallow and boring bad guys in recent memory. Skarsgård is unrecognizable as Cerdic and he stumbles his way to the finish line. We realize that he is the anti-hero, but he doesn't seem that menacing or intelligent enough to pose a great threat to Arthur and his men.

I must say...I wholeheartedly disagree. From the first scene with the villain in this movie I was thinking "now THAT is a villain". There is just something about this guy that isn't typical "bad guy"...he isn't over the top evil...he is quietly evil...and his voice...his voice just creeps me out...it's like a gruff whisper but when he yells your attention is "gotten".

yeah...so that's my thoughts

Ewww, what a trade off. No offense, I am sure the Terminal is a great movie, just doesn't seem like my type of show. Honestly, if it weren't for Tom Hanks, the show would probably have bombed. I mean, he just makes anything he is in better by degrees.

I see your point, soul, as the first 5 minutes did quite a bit of setup for the rest of Arthur. I won't say too much, just that you should definitely go see it.

Was worth the 7.50 ticket price.

I could have sworn I saw somebody mention they wished who the big funny guy was. It was Bors played by Ray Winstone.

I might have read it in another thread, but there it is whoever was wondering.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

We have a drive in near here and they play these new movies usually a few weeks after the initial release. Will look for this and others in the next few weeks. Author bombed in the box office with Spiderman-2 owning 2 straight weeks. To be honest, the previews do not look at all that interesting.

Just saw this last night. Boy were we let down....BIG TIME.

There are too many plot holes to list, not small ones either. The fight scenes stunk, in a big way. Compare this to the fight scenes in Troy, Gladiator, LoTR and you have a B movie - at best.

Arthur tries to be noble but everytime they show him it looks like he smoked some good mexican weed and is spaced out. The script stunk, the "braveheart" scene was uninspiring, etc...

As no point did I ever care what was going to happen. I was completely unable to "get into" the movie at all. By the time the last fight scenes were happening I was squirming around ready to leave. The bad guy is not really a bad guy, he has no reason for the viewer to hate him. Merlin is worthless and might as well have been left out. The acting was horrendous. There was no chemistry between Arthur and Keira.

Gah - I can go one even longer with this review but I am rambling.

The only saving point was the Ice Fight scene, that was pretty good. But by lowering the rating to PG-13 they eliminated all the realness of most of the fiht scenes.

We were split on our review. I gave it a 65 and my friend gave it a 68.

I tried not to put any spoilers in, sorry if any slipped through. But save your money and do not watch it. If you have to wait till a boring, snowed-in day and rent it.

P.S. Clive Owens, Arthur, is going to be the next James Bond I read. Pierce Brosnan has one more movie then he is out and Owens is in. I sure hope he is better at that then this movie.

actually Owens has specifically said he is NOT going to be Bond and to constantly ask him if he is is an insult to Brosnan (I get Entertainment Weekly now)

hehe, yeah after going back and rethinking, the movie just doesn't seem as good as what I first thought...only problem is when I came out of it the first time I was very happy so I'll stick with that.

I did find out that one reason the movie has "holes" is because it was origionally intended to be a rated R movie released at Christmas time...but then the studio told them about 3 months ago that it had to be rated PG-13 and released in the summer...so basically they had to cut a ton out. I hope a rated R DVD is released with all the other stuff added back in.

It was definitely lacking. Some of the acting was pretty good, and they had some interesting characters. But the villian was weak, his son would've been more interesting of a villian, and the storyline was so boring. I didn't want to see it in the first place, just dragged in by friends. The big bald guy was the only redeeming part...and Kiera.

ha, the funny thing is that I think the bad guy in this film was PERFECT...because he was REAL. I can't stand the 100% evil bad guys in films...it's so 1 dimensional and boring. King Edward wasn't the great part of Braveheart...in fact he was a downfall to it...he was so hollow and unrealistic...nearly all "bad guys" are portrayed as evil every moment of their lives and as if they don't even know how to smile unless it's evilly...sorry but that's boring and predictable.

so yeah, the bad guy in Arthur was great in my opinion because he wasn't like every bad guy out there

Goot - I am usually easy on everything, I watch a ton of movies and am generally entertained. I try to go in and just watch it that quality only. This one just really irked me with all the holes. I was expecting a lot more from the director and producer then they were even close to deliver.

As to the Bad Guy - we were unable to even dislike him. There was nothing that made us dislike him. They needed to spend some time developing exactly why he was the bad guy. In essence, he was doing the same thing the Romans had done,, the only "good" people in the movie were Merlin's folk.

I used to burn everything to VCDs, but only more current DVD players support VCD playback. Most of the movies you *cough* acquire *cough* come in VCD format that you can easily burn and watch.

(edited)

Do you know if a modded XBox will play VCDs burned to CD-RWs? I have always been FTPing AVIs to it, but some movies you can only acquire as a VCD.

Edited by Hitman