How to split an MPG file

soul .gc

How can you split an MPG file? I have a large AVI that I want to put on CD-R so I can watch it on my DVD player n my home theatre. When the AVI is coverted to MPG it is a little over 1GB. Is there an easy way to split the file so I can burn it to two CDs and go watch it?

(edited)

Awesome little program called VirtualDub! I use this pretty much every time I encode video.

http://www.virtualdub.com/

Load in a file, under video menu choose 'Direct Stream Copy' and under audio menu make sure it is also Direct Stream Copy (usually is by default). You might also change Audio Interleaving to 100 ms.

Click File, then 'Save Segmented Avi' choose the file size for each segment and boom, (after a short wait) you're done.

EDIT:

I also see you want it to be an mpg, well maybe you can re-encode it to that after you split the avi...?

Edited by Hitman

Although I still insist your beyond help

Grammar police checking in:

Incorrect usage of "your"; should have been "you're"

Ahhh, original poster is Canadian, that explains it.....Backwards people that they are....

:)

Thanks Linch and Hitman, I will try them both and post the results.

www.videohelp.com as Hitman stated is the shrine for all things video.

www.doom9.org is also another good one.

VirtualDub is also a great program as Hitman stated.

I do alot of reencoding from SVCD/VCD to DVD and here are some of the tools I use most often.

DVD2AVI 1.76

AviSynth 2.5

VirtualDubMod

BeSweet

DVD2SVCD (I think this package got renamed tho)

TMPGEnc Plus 2.5

Cinema Craft Encoder 2.66 and 2.67 (Of course I bought this $3000 piece of software)

VCDGear

Ifoedit

DVDLab to author

Scenartist

Notepad.exe

Here's a link with some guide from converting from AVI to SVCD

Linky

Hitman also had a good method with VirtualDub but remember after you split with VD you have to reencode the video.

I would recommend CCE 2.66.2/67 or TMPGEnc Plus 2.5

You can also Load TMPGEnc (Cancel the wizard) and under File go to MPEG Tools -> Merge & Cut....

That way you wouldnt have to rencode your video...

Thanks Red.

I used TMPGenc Express and it worked great. After that I pulled the program you mentioned, VCDGear, and it is converting it to a BIN file now so I can burn it.....at least I think that is what I do next.