Monitors

General J

Ok, So I really like Bird's suggestion of This monitor! But it is $239.

For $202, Viewsonic has 2 monitors. They are the same model, one is black and one is beige. Check this out though. Here is the black one. Here is the beige one. They both have the same max resolution at the same refresh rate. BUT, look at the optimal reso. Why are they different? Black one is listed as 1600x1200 @ 77Hz. The beige one is listed as 1280x1024 @ 90Hz. :unsure: Am I missing something?

I really like the viewsonic one for a slightly lower price, but would it really be beneficial to get the black over the beige? Or do you think it was just a mistake by newegg?

looks to be the same monitor. Newegg lists stuff wrong all the time.

1920x1440 @ 64Hz / 1600x1200 @ 77Hz / 1280x1024 @ 90Hz

thats the refresh that both can do at the resolutions. i would bet my left testy on it. :D they just listed them a tad different. btw, that looks like a nice monitor for $200, it even has better specs then the $240 NEC

That's what I was thinking AK. For $202, I get a higher max reso and refresh rate. And it is still a flat screen 19". Dunno how the dark tinted screen of the NEC would help with glare however, or maybe even eye strain.

I am leaning more for the viewsonic for the price, since I am fighting the good fight and leaning away from pirated, cracked windows... :D I may just purchase the monitor and XP pro - oem from newegg.

Next question though.. Pro or Home? What features would I miss out on with home that I would really be using? I plan on using a router to connect both computers, and from what I understand most routers now come standard with their own firewall software as to eliminate the need for individual software on each comp. Right?

My understanding is the only reason to go Pro is if you want to run a domain in your house. I have all Home on my pc's and it works just fine. I can share drives & printers just fine.

Oh, if you only have one computer I would assume you are really wasting money with pro.

Anyone heard anything else?

you mean flat PANELS preacher

:P

anyone know why Preacher's deal there is bad? I mean $300 for a 17" flat panel looks well worth it. I realize it's not a name-brand company...how bad is that for a flat-panel?

because for 200 you can get a lot better quality CRT thats 19in, and better at everything.

Bigger 17in is on the small end for gaming.

better resolution (that flat maxes at 1280, i play games in higher res then taht....)

refresh rate

basically a CRT is just better, unless you don't have room for one.

Found out why it's so cheap.."Response Time 30ms" DON'T GET IT!

Not worth it for gaming. That's a first gen LCD. I have a 25ms and it blurs. Overall mines ok.. I don't notice the blur but others do. If you want a good LCD get a 15ms.

Also I would'nt recommend buying online LCD's.. It would be a pain in the arse to ship it back if there were dead pixels. Buy in-store retail.

I wouldn't own an LCD screen exept for LAN gaming myself. I use a 19" KDS VS. The wieght and portability factor is the onlt readon to own one IMO.

As far as returns, Tiger Direct is good, New Egg is good, Mwave.com is good, xoxide is awesome, Crazypc.com is awesome, justdeals.com blows in everything customer service related, Nexfan.com has poor service.

The first 5 retailors listed there will take good care of you should something be defective. You should never order a very high priced item from somewhere unknown, Speaking from experiance, just because it's listed on pricewatch don't make it an established company (got ripped off for $1400) Thank God for fraud protection on the credit card baby.

Speaking from experiance, just because it's listed on pricewatch don't make it an established company (got ripped off for $1400) Thank God for fraud protection on the credit card baby.

yea I used to be a big fan of Pricewatch. Ive had defective items, and items not received for weeks as well as them being different than described. I will pay the few extra bucks to www.newwegg.com any day.

anyone play games on something bigger then 21' ? 21 is almost too much but i've got used to it over the year ive had it. just wish it wasn't 15 years old from and old macintosh. It's so old it has the three primary colors coming out the back of it. But i traded a 17in for it, im happy. :) I now have another 21 that i acquired from fx and gonna hook that up right beside this one. should be sweet. :D

now to find a game that plays dual monitor. :o

yeah, i want a dual monitor setup. I had one for awhile with a 17" and 15". Didn't try any games on it, but it worked well for learning things like 3D modeling and UT level editor. Put up the tutorial on one screen and the program on another. I'd like a 21 inch, but I may just get two 19 inchers.