THE SERVER!!!!!

Magruter

We need to get trop back to the way it used to be!!!

Remember when we had people getting kicked b/c of the reserve spot... I can't remember the last time the server was full for more than 5 minutes, even during prime time. What can we do?

Do we need to go back to game deamons?

Do we need a different map rotation? (DAD, inferno, nuke) No more third parties?

What are you're thoughts?? I miss the old trop... :(

I honestly don't think we'll ever get it back Mags. I mean remember the blast that the old Deadlock tourney's were? yeah...the last attempted one was a total flop. Counter-Strike just isn't the communities home anymore...it's sad but true.

I think one thing that MIGHT save Trop is to encourage teamplay and competition...i.e be harsh with the people who don't fit that description. Nearly every time I go in Trop now (which isn't much) there is at LEAST 1 guy who is just goofing off or not helping the team or whatnot. And they largely go ignored...but that 1 person ruins the whole competitive feel of the game.

I think the .gc members need to encourage teamplay more through leading teams. I remember when you or Fat and a couple others used to get on you'd start trying to call out strats...that ALWAYS made the game more fun for me. Encourage that out of .gc members might help jump start the server a bit.

Believe me CS is still strong and htere are lots of servers out there that are full most of the time. I for one believe the map rotation is messing us up. To be honest a Dust, Aztec, Dust2, inferno rotation will fill the server. i know alot fo you get sick of that but really to me it seems that will be the only thing to do. i avoid our server now due to all the 3rd party maps.

we need more admins. thats Trops problem. Sure we have 20 admins in GC, but not many really play. I don't wear my .gc tag anymore in trop so people don't keep asking me to change maps and i have to tell them i can't.

Dennis, your right about the rotation also, people ask for a vote or not to go to the nextmap and either A- no admins are on B- the admin doesn't listen to the server and it clears out.

my .02

See ya in Trop tonight Mags. :wub:

assuming I can get away from dinner with my sister and her husband early enough...see ya there.

I really wish I had more time for games but usually I'm home long enough to make dinner and watch an hour of tv or read a book (my favorite activity...it even beats video games) and then it's bedtime.

Establish which of you guys put the most time in and determine who will make up a decision making body for the CS side of things, then go for it.

The provider is one of many issues, but yes, gamedaemons had a network that fiberfrag does not. People don't join for their pings here, before they did.

I just talked to Chris from brightnet and he's just back from vacation. We're hoping that Wednesday the box will go live and m0m can fondle it. We'll put a CS box up there and see how that does.

You will not hear a peep from me if you 1) create a CS decision making body and 2) that body decides to go DAD for the majority.

It can happen. Make it happen. But the question is: is it worth it to go in strong when CS:S is coming? Who will stay behind with CS?

Who knows when cs:s will be out of beta, and only more than one map... I would say lunk spends the most time on the server, but he's never in here. I spend the second most time on the server. (if lunk wants to make the decision he can...) But i say that we move the rotation to: DAD, Inferno, nuke, If an admin wants a third party map they are more than welcome to change it.

I ran DAD/inferno/nuke last night for about two hours, and yes the server was full for almost 10 minutes, it was crazy i forgot what a pub like that was... Sorry you missed it playaa, longhair was calling out mad DOH strats for nuke.

I'd like to hear you're comments about this proposed map rotation

I don't mind DAD/Inferno/Nuke at all as long as people play them properly

actually...the only map out of that I DON'T like is de_dust. Aztec is fine with good teamwork as is dust2 and Inferno/Nuke have never been on my bad list.

I'm gonna try my hardest to get on tonight...we'll see if it actually works out since I gotta give my car an oil change but have no place to do it at.

Definately agree with Fatty/Magruter.

Have a stable map rotation of the "competition" maps that everyone knows. Once we get regulars in there again (ie server is always full) then we can add in some "fun" and "aim" maps after hours. Most of those maps though aren't very good with 18-20 ppl on them. It's too crowded. Aim maps are supposed to be 3-4 versus each other, practicing aim. They don't have cover and fire positions or chokepoints like normal maps, so when you pile in 20 ppl in there it's more of an instadeath map. Iceworld, etc are insane fun when they're crowded, but people have to be willing to go to that map first.

Map rotation that would work best, imo:

de_dust2

de_inferno

de_train

de_nuke

de_aztec

de_clanmill

de_cbble

That's 7 solid maps to roll through. Once CS:S comes out, the situation isn't going to change much. It's still going to be the "best" maps to play on. Other "standard" maps that we can rotate in for giggles might include:

cs_militia

cs_italy

cs_office

de_aztec2 (even tho this map really sucks, it might be fun for a pub).

I'd say give it a week - 10days. BTW, aztec and D2 are currently THE most popular maps in CS. So it's a good idea to have them spaced out.

Also, can we increase the map time to 25minutes? 20 minutes is just a touch short.

What does every1 think about the skunked mod?

I like the skunk rule, I like the map rotation (especially having clanmill in there) and I like increasing map times (but not by a ton)

Mags, I promise you I'll be in there tonight...even if I hafta play on the trackball again.

Throw de_dust in there as a "extra" map.

I'll try to get on tonight... and btw, Magruter, sry bout hijacking control last night. Been so long since I've played, totally forgot what the rules were :(

Good question. Either one works. I'd say we start out with the map rotations, then go to map voting. Build up the base first, then go from there. I'm not sure how the algorithm for what shows up in a map voting cycle works, so that would take some work to figure out.