call me a glutton for punishment

Crowbar

Well, I went to buy Windows XP Home yesterday, Target only sells the Upgrade version, so I went over to Worst Buy and found the version "For Installation on a new PC or one without Windows"...labled for $199.99. No thank-you.

But I still needed an operating system, since all mine have either been included on the computer (with those damn "recovery disks" instead of a proper Windows CD) or a friend's copy that has outlived it's usefulness (see "reformatting help" topic).

So I bought Linux. Yep, according to the Linux box, I am an "ambitious computer user". I got the only version they had, SUSE Linux Professional 9.1. As I've been reading through the manuals, I'm pretty excited about diving in. It includes a whole lot more than Windows, yet appears to be much simpler than Windows. Basically, the programs included are actually worth using. And they aren't automatically installed, so you can pick which ones you want to use. If I ever get this computer up and running, I'll play around with Linux for awhile and then write a full review article. I'm looking forward to being free from Microsoft. :D

Newegg has Win XP Home - OEM Full version for $90. Probably about the same you paid for that build of Linux if I remember the prices right. Good call on the linux though. First thing my girlfriends dad asked me when I got my new computer all put together, "So... Why aren't you just putting a real operating system (linux) on that thing?" :lol: He absolutly despises microsoft. Thats why he is going out to buy a new G5. I think he is in love with OS X.. :rolleyes:

Edited by General J

Dude, Linux is a freely downloadable OS. I could have burnt and sent you whatever flavor you wanted for the cost of shipping.

It also is as clear cut and simple as you might thing by reading the box. You need to be very familiar with console commands and .cfg file editing for one thing.

I hope you installation goes smoothly but after that you need to learn how to 1) install applications (some you need to compile yourself) and 2) find those applications after you have installed them (my exp., most apps don't put an icon to themselves in the start button (or whatever) program listing.

Knowing you from the MB, I think you will be able to get a grip on it so don't worry but I am just trying to prepare you with the knowledge that the difference is like "MS-->wading in baby pool" while Linux is like "Linux-->swimming the Atlantic ocean...twice...underwater...the whole way".

(edited)
Dude, Linux is a freely downloadable OS.

With an OS-less computer, that's about as helpful as a video on how to set up your TV or a number to call if you have problems setting up your new telephone. :unsure:;)

Edited by TaPe

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Linux I do not think should be be used as an everyday use OS if you are a gamer. It is fun if you are just puting it on as an experiment.

TaPe, how smart are you? That's the second time you have made a generally rude comment for no good reason? One, he is obviously posting on the forum from some computer (seriously...think about it). And two, I told him I would ship him whatever flavor of linux he wanted.

But thanks for playing anyway.

That's the second time you have made a generally rude comment for no good reason?

I was joking on both occasions. Excuse my sense of humor. I'll resume my droning.

Um, there was no "sense of humor" in that. You just posted without reading all of the posts.

Don't know who got "zinged" but I didn't feel anything.

(edited)
Um, there was no "sense of humor" in that.  You just posted without reading all of the posts.

Don't know who got "zinged" but I didn't feel anything.

Actually, I did read all of the posts and what you said reminded me of a comic skit I heard so I tied it into the topic so that maybe somebody might read it, not take it seriously and chuckle. If you think it's offensive, I'm sorry, it wasn't supposed to be. If you think the post wasn't productive in some manner, I'm sorry, maybe somebody else did chuckle to themself. If you thought I was actually trying to rip on you, I don't have a clue what you think I have against you that would make me feel the need to insult you. If there isn't some reason I should be bashing you, maybe I could get a little benefit of doubt here and attribute it to failed humor at worst.

Edit --- if not, PM me so we can work out whatever problem there is.

Edited by TaPe

Nah, I apologize. Maybe just caught me at a bad time (little sleep last night and too much mountain dew...again) Let's just drop it before it escalates and let Crowbar get back to what his thread was originally intended for.

:wub::hug:

(edited)

Well, not hoping to stir the pot (or AM I?), but I actually laughed out loud when I read that post TaPe.

TaPe is just a sticky fellow who will say whatever comes into his little peanut head at that precise moment, especially if it is funny. :D

Edit: Hi Rev :wavey:

Edited by gOOters

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I just realized Dweez's avatar is an upside down spiderman. :twitch:

(edited)
TaPe is just a sticky fellow who will say whatever comes into his little peanut head at that precise moment, especially if it is funny. :D

Hey, I don't have a little peanut head!

The doctors assured me that it's only slightly-below-average-peanut-sized.

But I am indeed sticky.

Uh, and semi-on topic... I used Linux last year for all the programming I did... which didn't really involve using Linux much but I played around some with it. It was pretty interesting, but I think I'd agree with ZeroDamage in saying it's not so much an OS for an everyday gamer.

PS - Best of luck to you with Linux :D and the salvagable part of this thread. Luckily, I only claim rights to messing up one of those. :bang:

Edited by TaPe

yeah, I read that the other day about Linux only using OpenGL. kinda wondering what I'm going to do about Battlefield... Yeah Dweez, I know it's free, but I wanted something right away since my parts were coming that day, and even though I've got a computer to post from, it's got no cd burner or other method of transfering files. I'm rocking a Pentium II 266 IBM with integrated S3 graphics and 96MB of RAM. Best thing in here is th 40x CD ROM. But, I used to play CS with it. Keyboard is doin wierd stuff too...gonna have to fix that...

Once I get my computer up and running, and have an operating system to work with via Linux, then I will probably download a pirated copy of XP and put it on along with Linux, or I'll look into some of the Windows emulators I've read about.

And J, I wish I could go get a G5, man those things are sweet. And OS X really is awsome.

btw, the SUSE Linux Professional 9.1 comes with the latest Linux kernal, optimized for use with an AMD64 processor. :rolleyes: woopie.