EQ2

soul .gc

So I had a good friend let me use his beta account for EQ2. This game is amazing. I am not sure if I like WoW better or not yet, although I am only level 4 in EQ2 so far. The voiceovers are amazing in EQ2 and the graphics are very detailed. Some of the movement is bad as well as some interaction so far.

I like WoW and how you can easily see where you can get a quest or task, in EQ2 you have to talk to everyone first, although there is a pretty easy way to find out who to go to, just not as easy as WoW.

More to come as I explore...

So I had a good friend let me use his beta account for EQ2. This game is amazing. I am not sure if I like WoW better or not yet, although I am only level 4 in EQ2 so far. The voiceovers are amazing in EQ2 and the graphics are very detailed. Some of the movement is bad as well as some interaction so far.

I like WoW and how you can easily see where you can get a quest or task, in EQ2 you have to talk to everyone first, although there is a pretty easy way to find out who to go to, just not as easy as WoW.

More to come as I explore...

Quickly save yourself before it's too late!

I am a little disappointed so far when I compare it to WoW. This mainly stems from the quest thing so far. The nice thing about the quests is that you have a journal and it is quite helpful and keeps track of what you need in each area and color-codes them for difficulty. It is VERY similar to WoW in this aspect, but you have to hunt for the people you need or to see who has a possible quest. I guess this could be good from the advantage of everyone not running to the same guy.

The graphics are unreal though. The spell animations are sweet for the mage class. The melee from a magic-user is lame. It is the same crappy motion each time. You also have 11 pages of emotes available that are funny to use now and then. I have made it to level 6 now and have yet to leave the city. Also spells are strange. You have to go to a scribe and then your spells are there but they are quite expensive, much more then I have gotten in the game yet.

So far I have enjoyed Fable and WoW more than EQ2 but I will keep playing and see what else it has and let everyone know.

I'm glad you have the chance to finally play both. I know a couple people in EQ2 beta that said they liked it but they didn't have WoW beta so it's hard to judge when you don't have a comparison.

I will go to WoW because I like pvp (main reason) and it is really well done with the quests and leveling being split up enough to not make it redundant.

WoW open beta is coming soon according to their website so everyone should at least be able to experience it first hand to make their decision. I don't know if EQ2 is going to do an open beta or not.

Well I have found a few more things.

The quests are everywhere. You have to talk to everyone to see who has one available and this can get old. In addition the number of quests starts to get confusing. The map does not let you note where people are located so when you finally finish one you have to hunt through 20 buildings to find them again. The number of quests is quite impressive and intimidating as well. I think I currently have 25 in my quest journal. A quarter of them have become "green", so lower EXP will be given for them now.

The Crafting is messed up a bit. You can buy books to teach you how to make things and what ingredients are needed. One book has about 20 recipes in it for a variety of crafts. Then you have to gather the material needed and head to a workstation to create your items. Creating them is messed up though. You suffer damage from losing concentration, or mixing the wrong materials, or some such error and it affects the output. You have a bunch of buttons you can click to try and get it working correctly again but these do not seem to do much and are very confusing as to when they should be used. I have given up on any crafting at this point, it is a waste of time in Beta.

The rest of the game keeps improving though. I am hooked on it but I know I will be playing WoW over EQ2 for sure.

(edited)

The more I play the more disappointed I am at this stage of beta. Now they have lifted the NDA and there are rumors they will release it in November. The game is not even close to ready.

I have a level 13 summoner now and the pet stinks. It does not hold agro, tanks like a 3-year old girl and just sucks in general. They finally fixed the pathing so it follows you and you do not have to spam the follow command anymore.

There are HUGE balance issues between casters and fighters. My fighter can solo yellows in singles, whites in 2's, blues and greens in several numbers. Yet my summoner cannot solo a "white" mob with a pet. I was hoping to become a necro at 20 but do not think I can play the caster much more, it is getting too frustrating. We have 3 shields/buffs, 1 health-to-mana converter, 1 root, 1 DoT that stinks, and 1 nuke and almost no melee power. They need to seriously rework the spells before release and get more for the casters so we are at least on an equal footing.

An example of a typical "white" fight is Root, DoT, send pet, pet does not get agro, root breaks with first pet hit, mob attacks me, cast nuke, root is finally able to recast and does not stick so mob keeps beating on me, nuke, nuke, nuke, nuke, nuke, out of mana and pet is drinking some coffee chuckling at me. Turn on sprint and run then realize I have no mana so cannot sprint (why does sprinting use mana?), turn to melee and wait to die.

The XP gain for killing anything under a "white" is abysmal. Most mobs are not single anymore so you get two of them each time. The "color" of the mob does not mean much either at this time. You have to "con" each mob when you see them since some greens say "You will easily win" and others say "you may want to bring friends, this one is MUCH tougher than he appears". I have a "green" zombie kill my pet and I very quickly yesterday.

There is WAY WAY WAY too much running involved. They need to have a faster transportation system in place or increase the run speeds on people. I spent 3 hours running around freeport yesterday doing "delivery quests" and most of the time it was just running up and down the hills because the cities are so huge with very little in them besides houses.

Crafting - This is a much different system then old EQ. You have to level your skill each time and can die if you do not pay attention as you work. Example - It tells you if you are daydreaming and you have to click a "snap out" key to get back to concentrating, do not hit it and you take damage and it can also ruin your crafting project much more quickly. Then once you get to level 10 you have to declare a specialty (craftsman, outfitter, scholar, etc..) and can only pursue that line of crafting. When you are playing the game you see random items like "exhumed rock, windswept branch, windswept rock, roots, etc..) that you can "harvest" for materials. Your inventory fills fast and you have no idea what items you may need for crafting unless you go through the book one item at a time. I am sure there will be "cookbooks" available on the internet before too long though.

Maps - The initial city zones have maps on-screen, but the sub-zones do not. They need to let you make notes on the maps though so you can remember where people are. Some zones have 20-30 apartments with people in them and having to search back through them for the guy who gave you the quest can get old fast. This would not be an issue except for the number of quests - there seem to be hundreds of them. At one time I have over 30 in my journal I was working on.

Spells - I hit on this above, they need more. Also, they go in levels; apprentice I, II, III / Adept I, II, III / Master I, II, III. There will be a IV and V I heard when it goes live but they are not in-game yet. Only apprentice I & II can be bought, the others have to be player-made which kinda stinks to have to make them or buy them from another player at such low levels (you can use apprentice III at level 12).

When I played WoW in the Spring I got to level 23 and loved every bit of it. I am anxiously looking forward to playing it again....much more than EQ2.

I truly hope that EQ2 does not try to go live when WoW releases, they will fail completely. The game needs several more months of work before it is ready. I take that back....somehow Sony gets away with releasing buggy things and still retains customers.

Edited by soul .gc

It appears that SOE has updated retailers with a new release date for EverQuest II. Most web sites are now reporting that it will now be appearing in stores on November 9, 2004! We have updated our game list accordingly

SAN DIEGO, CA - October 25, 2004 - Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, today announced that EverQuest II is scheduled to simultaneously ship to North American and European retail stores on November 8, 2004. EverQuest II is the highly-anticipated follow-up to Sony Online Entertainment's original EverQuest, the most successful and longest-running 3D MMO role-playing game in North America.

SAN DIEGO, CA - October 25, 2004 - Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, today announced that EverQuest II is scheduled to simultaneously ship to North American and European retail stores on November 8, 2004. EverQuest II is the highly-anticipated follow-up to Sony Online Entertainment's original EverQuest, the most successful and longest-running 3D MMO role-playing game in North America.

Man... I'm in shock they are doing it. Shows they are really worried about WoW. I can't wait to read the backlash when users have played it for a couple weeks..

ya i wanna try it please lol. kenger22 is my aim name. or u can send me a pm pls.

The rumors abou WOW release is the 28th of November, a lot later because of the Halflife 2 release on the 16th of November. :blink:

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I never got into the first one. Not a huge fan of MMORPG's. I do not have the time to spend on them and have an issue paying monthly for something I just spent 50 dollars for.

I've tried a few and they all disappoint. Maybe WoW will change my mind. Waiting for Open Beta to give it a go.

I never got into the first one.  Not a huge fan of MMORPG's.  I do not have the time to spend on them and have an issue paying monthly for something I just spent 50 dollars for.

I've tried a few and they all disappoint.  Maybe WoW will change my mind.  Waiting for Open Beta to give it a go.

Aren't you paying to play as a GC member? What it comes down to is players pay to play because a game like this is not offered anywhere else for free. Same as the GC servers, where else can you play CS in a mature environment.

Kengers review so far:

I have only just gotten to Qyenos. I made a human warrior... going to be a paladin.

Graphics:

They are amazing. Very very good in that aspect.

UI:

Seems like it is a much better idea so far then the old one, with everyone all bunched together overlapping your view of everything.

Conversation:

NPC speaks, i like that. I like how they made everything into boxes now when you speak to NPC's instead of type out whatever was in the [ ].

Combat:

Not bad, Still wondering what it will be like with 40+ people all attacking one mob.

Economy:

You never make any money. Just like in the Orig. EQ. Seems like you work forever for a few copper.

I am writing this post as i am playing. I really enjoy playing it right now. I am currently level 4, still on refugee island but its good for me atm. Nothing too bad to stop me from buying it yet.

Yup - I loved it at that stage. When I got to 13 I realized it was not any fun. I even took two characters up through those levels to test a caster and fighter and had the same result.

The graphics, sound and NPC interaction is amazing though.

I played EQ2 for about 20 minutes and I couldnt play it anymore. Just really boring. Yeah, the graphics are pretty good I guess. Technically better than WoW but I think WoW has better design and is much more pleasing to my eyes. Its just got personality to it as well which I find EQ2 sorely missing.

I think i will be purchasing EQ2. I think it's awesome. The cats chase rats around in the city... very eye catching. I have kept myself busy the whole time doing quests, have gotten 10 levels on questing / hunting. I love the options with player housing so far. Seems like you can do quite alot in that area.

They fixed the problem with kill stealers. No one can take your target once u attack him unless you are grouped, or you yell for help.

I haven't played WOW, and that has a lot of my judgement to go to EQ2. Unless WOW opens beta testing I am not going to buy it since I will be hooked on playing EQ2, and will not pay for two monthly subscriptions at once.

Good luck then Kenger - I just know it is not for me. I tried to play beta again today and only lasted 10 minutes. I think it is worse then any other MMORPG I have played.

I was in Qeynoss in the Down Under and it just irritates me that you cannot do some of the quests solo because you get 3-4 mobs at a time no matter what. There is no way to split them and that is just wrong.

WoW open beta starts next week.