linux :)

NOFX

ohh yea.....

Ive installed linux many many times on my home machine, only to format and only put XP back on. Well last month I decided to try again with SUSE, RedHat, Mandrake and Fedora, I had trouble with all. So I attempted again a few nights ago and finally got redhat on. This time I feel like I know what im doing. within the first night. I got XMMS to work, installed firefox, was able to mount my USB hard drive and other small things you all like to setup in XP that you dont know how to do in linux.

I think im slowly on my way to converting to linux for good. I just wish Openoffice was as good as Office XP :(

I downloaded it as well, and i couldnt get it to boot. I had major problems with linux on this machine. Its somethign with my motherboard, I figured it out though with this last install. Previously it would always hang when I boot off the cd, it would say something about USB and just stop. So I went into my bios and disabled Assign IRQ to USB and it worked. After it was fully installed I just re-enabled it and it works like a charm :)

I really like having a terminal and being able to compile C and Java, much easier for programming

I loaded mandrake and liked a lot about it.

But I will only use it for some things. The thing with me is I don't have time to mess around and find all the answers to get things to work right. For instance I tried to get my 3d card to work with no success. The effort I would have to put forth is not worth the time wasted, IMO. But its still fun to mess around a little.

BAH!!!!!! K so im moving along linux just great, Im doing ./configes and makes building all these programs. when I installed I created a user account so im not always logged in as root, well I was getting tired of typing the admin password everytime I tried to do anything. So in the middle of making the wine install. I try to edit the user account so I didnt have to type the pass each time. Well, some how in the processs I lost my /usr/sam acount (which I installed all the software to) and I also locked myself out of the machine and could not log on as anyone, not even root.

Hehe, I'd shoot redhat an e-mail, but last time I checked if you wrote over SAM you were S.O.L.

I like linux, but it's simply not as easy to use as Windows, so I usually stick with a Microsoft OS...At least until Longhorn comes out and they want even more money. 2006 looks like my switch year more and more.

And OpenOffice rocks. I like it better than the bloated Office XP. Piece of non-working garbage. *urgh*

heh im not gonna bother emailing redhat. I just did a reinstall, but now it wont load at all, after linux loads my monitor just goes black. Bah!! doesnt like my video card. The same thing happens to me, evertime I install Fedora.

the thing is I cant get into the system at all, even to install. Well I got Red Hat 9 to work. If I let it sit there long enough the blank screen goes away and the login pops up. I think it has something to do with my resolution and refresh rate.

im onmy second night of it, so far i can mount my usb hd, get xmms to work. Im still working on getting kopete to work. Requires QT libraries to be versions < 3.2. Wont let me install the rpm, cuz I have a newer version. If i just get the tar, then I can unzip and manually do it. *Crosses fingers*

I've got linspire set up on a box, but haven't really tinkered with it too much. Mostly because I have another box with suse pro 9.1 on it that I use. The linspire box is also a bit slower (a 1.6 p4, onboard video, 256 mb ddr ram, as opposed to the suse box with with a 1.6 durron, ti4200 card, and 768 mb pc133 ram). Gotta say, I didn't have one glitch in installing Linspire tho.

Still looking for a copy of the 64 bit version of suse to put on this AMD64. Although I'm not even sure what the advantage would be over the 32 bit version on here now.

Nofx, have you tried SuSE? The only thing that I've not been able to get to work correctly is an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, which is apparently b/c of the lax support for ATI cards. Can't get the 3d accel to work.

Oh, and do a "rpm --help" and that'll pull up the commands needed to get rid of those newer rpms. But gaim is better anyway :P

I've got SUSE 9.1 Pro and I love it, except for that damned problem with the 9800 Pro cards. There have been people that have figured out how to get them to work, but their knowledge of Linux far trancends mine. I knew nothing about Linux and the first time I installed SUSE I had no problems at all. Kopete and GAIM went up fine, OpenOffice works great as far as I'm concerned, and I love the Konquer browser.

X, when did you buy SUSE 9.1 Pro? Mine came with 2 DVDs that have the 64bit version on them. I've installed with both the 32bit and 64bit, and I don't really notice a difference. To be fair though, I didn't mess with the 32bit version very much.

One big question I have though...

I've got 2 hard drives, one with Linux and one with Windows. I want to have part of the drive with Linux be partitioned and formatted with the NTFS file system, so that I can use it in Windows, since that is where I spend most of my time. However, Windows will not recognize that I have two drives. In my "Device Manager" it shows 2 hard drives, however, in "My Computer" there is only one. I can't seem to figure out how to format the one drive to the NTFS system. Both are only 40gig, and I'm out of room on my Windows drive.

You need something like Partitionmagic or another partitioning program to just resize your linux partition(s) (I assume you have several). You'll prolly just need to resize your /home partition, assuming you installed like I have, with that being the largest partition to steal from. And then create and format the new one.

I d/led SuSE, was 5 isos of stuff, and couldn't find a 64 bit version that I could get to work.

Oh, and the 9800 pros are supported in kernel 2.4. However, suse 9.1 uses the newest kernel 2.6.?. A driver for this is apparently under development.

I've tried several times to recompile the kernel, but there are so many options, it just gets confusing. Don't have the time to do that much.

Yes I have tried SUSE, I had the personal free edition and hated it. I tried

Fedora, Red Hat and Mandrake. Im using RedHat 9 now. I think im going to test out Slackware, heard its a witch to install, but worth it.

I'll check out partition magic, thanks.

I installed an old version of Mandrake awhile back, but didn't do much with it. SUSE 9.1 Pro went on with no problems at all. YaST (Yet another Setup Tool) is really easy to use, and I was customizing my installation the first time I put it on.

(edited)

well, I would pretty much be converted over, except for a few things I like in windows.

I was able to download and install gtk-gnutella and download cedega for free :) If I only new how to set up cedega correctly to run my a few programs Windows programs, I would probably never go back :D

Edited by NOFX