you won't believe this...

ConGregation

Ok, I missed out on the Bestbuy 6800 OC for 250. But I saw that outpost.com has it for 250.

But then I am reading about the new cards coming out soon and how they performed in source on firingsquad.com. They seemed to be impressed with the 6600 gt. Plus the x700 pro and xt are coming out soon (AGP versions). I know the current PCI-e versions are around 200. So I am thinking that maybe I should hold off and pick one of these up when they come out... hopefully this month?

So the question is, 6800 OC now or wait for the mid range cards later (and save 50 bucks)?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Ok, I missed out on the Bestbuy 6800 OC for 250. But I saw that outpost.com has it for 250.

But then I am reading about the new cards coming out soon and how they performed in source on firingsquad.com. They seemed to be impressed with the 6600 gt. Plus the x700 pro and xt are coming out soon (AGP versions). I know the current PCI-e versions are around 200. So I am thinking that maybe I should hold off and pick one of these up when they come out... hopefully this month?

So the question is, 6800 OC now or wait for the mid range cards later (and save 50 bucks)?

That extra $50 may take you a lot further and longer than one of those lower midrange cards. It's kind of a hit or miss. You can take the chance and grab it or wait. You are after all waiting longer for a slower card that will be even slower sooner than the 6800 OC.

I read that the 6600GT is better than the x700xt so if you go that route that is the choice for you. As far as how the 6600GT stacks up against the 6800OC I've no idea. One good thing is that the longer you wait the lower the prices will go on those cards.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Compared FPS between the two and the regular 6800 outperforms them. Sounds like a plan :D

Yeah, the 6800 OC is a 6800 but higher clocked. I think I read that there is also a hack that lets you unlock all the pipes on it or something.

Best Buy's is 299.00 (It was listing it as 250 until Sunday) and I am not so desperate to pay an extra 30 right now.

I will sit on my hands a bit more :) I am a deliberate shopper.

I realize the "GO GO GO GO" is because your tired of giving me advicd :P But I appreciate it, man!

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Looks on my end like that bestbuy link is dead already. I did a search on www.froogle.com for 6800 OC and it was the top link for 250 and in stock. Try that yourself and see if it works.

Ok, it all changes now.

Thursday night I was playing CS and game locked up, video display was all garbled. I should have checked things out then. But it quickly came back up and I kept on playing. It did the same thing a little later so I shut down and didnt think about it.

Come home from work on Friday and the computer is sitting there with a garbled video display. I quickly shut it down and check things out. The fan on my 9500 PRO was not working. Nothing I tried to do could get it to work. I ask my kids how long had it been like that... 'all day'. I cry.

I am assuming the card is dead. I will try to get a new fan just to make for sure but I am mostly certain it is toast.

So my 6800 OC is out the window. :(

Basically I need two video cards that are mid range. Hopfully something around 125 a piece (same as the 6800 OC by itself). What is my best bet?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

AK's idea is probably best. Get a good 9800 pro type of card for your system and like a 9550 for the kids.

Thanks for the quick response!!

I think I have decided to no give up on my dream. I am going to get a fan for the 9500 PRO just to be for sure its dead. But I am having difficulty finding what I want.

The number on the fan is 222H (ATI). That produces no results. I couldnt even find something on the ati site.

The fan itself is an ADDA

AD0512MX-G70

You guys know of any comprehensive fan sites (hah) that might have something to work? I don't see the need for a new heatsink and don't want to mess with that anyway. I looked in the normal places. Froogle. Newegg. etc. Even found ADDA's site but looks like they were setup to supply to manufacturers or wholesalers.

or set a house fan next to it on high to test it for a few minutes.  :boing:

Would that work? The heatsink is designed to to draw heat away from a specific area. Would that much 'wind' still be enough?

I am not even sure how to take this heatsink off. The fan screws onto the heatsink but I do not see any other fastenings for the heatsink itself. I did see on the ADDA site what the numbers and letters represent. I wonder if I could get another fan based on the specs of this one.