Which bigscreen?

gOOters

FP is not a good choice for me. I dont have very good light control in that room, and this will be my "do it all" TV. Also, my viewing distance is about 9', not enough to maximize the size available with FP. Also, I dont have the time to mess with installation. So...FP is not right for me.

Plasma is actually pretty universally discouraged right now, too much pixellation. DLP/LCD is where its at.

The screen I have now I can barely stand to watch movies on anymore, and its not worth the money to get the convergence properly fixed. Now I am a huge move buff and crispness and quality is what I want.

I dont understand?? Everyone I have spoken to says that you can acheive PQ with a CRT equal to that of DLP if you are willing to spend the time and/or money tuning it every so often...I am.

The Panny CRT I saw looked amazing, so if I need to get it tuned right off the bat or every year or two...so be it.

Furthermore, the Panny is $1300. Any decent DLP in the same size is $2600+.

My mind is made up! :P;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, check to see if there's a consumer convergence option in the system menu of your RP. My friend had one that had to be tweaked internally with plastic set pots, but mine has a convergence menu that I can not only tweak the gun convergences but the individual convergences at something like 40 points on the screen. That way, even the convergence at the edges (where it's going to be worst) can be tweaked a bit, too, to bring it back in line.

I have to disagree with Ghost, because I'm pretty sure that Plasmas have a roughly 30,000 hour half-life, which is when only half of the image lights up...By this point you've had to jack your contrast and brightnesses way up, and youre monitor's out the door, that much sooner. LCDs, on the other hand (if you get one from a name-brand manufacturer with a good backlighting system) run roughly 60,000 hours, and then all you have to do is replace the backlight to get near optimal performance again. The LCD deteriorates, but so very slowly. Also, Plasma displays have more problems with dead pixels still...Though both technologies are getting better by the year and I'd be happy to have either in my house ^_^

I think I might need to get in there to tweak the convergence? :(

There is SOOO much info and so much to need to know in order to buy a TV these days...its ridiculous.

Next, to figure out how to get HDTV.

Is an extended service plan a good idea?

If you can get a copy of the users manual, it should say if you can adjust convergence. Granted, it's not as good as having a professional come in...They have fancy, expensive tools to adjust convergence and color balance better than user tools, but it's a nice feature. I will say that, though, in one year of owning this TV and close to three years on another TV my friend and I bought (stayed with him when I got married) there has never been a need to adjust the convergence on either...At least, I haven't heard anything about the other one, and I'm sure my friend would have whined about it if picture quality dropped. Of course, that's only three years of use...

In my opinion, Extended Service Plans (ESPs) are only worthwhile if the coverage provides a real, tangible service. Otherwise, it's nothing more than insurance (like when they ask for ESP on a gameboy...What service does a gameboy need? Nothing unless it catastrophically fails). Having said that, I bought my TV at Best Buy and at the time they provided a picture quality warranty. If at any time I am unhappy with the picture quality, I can call in an authorized service tech on their dime. It's good for four years, and I plan on having my TV tuned up annually and I'm going to try to get them to replace the tubes and retune it near 3.5 years. My friend has had his (formerly our) TV retuned once, pretty recently, because he hadn't used the service plan and wanted to get his money's worth. If the ESP is going to cover service that you will actually use (a tune-up over a four year term is definitely a worthwhile service) or they will warranty consumables (replacement bulbs, guns, etc. in that four year period) it's probably a good buy. Just remember to read the fine print and make sure you are getting something out of it.

HDTV? (1) Antenna if you're near a city or if you know you get good antenna reception already, (2) Cable TV or (3) Satellite. Just remember Cable TV has digital channels, and all Satellite TV is digital... but digital does not equal HDTV. HDTV is above and beyond digital and may cost a few more bucks a month.

Yesh, shopping for electronics equipment these days does require some sort of advanced degree or something. Just pass this information along, plus what you learn, when someone else asks. That's how I figured out what little I know, asking (a lot of) questions.

Edited by appalachian_fox

my convergence was adjusted by the tv putting a white crosshair on the corners of the screen, the middle sides, and the center. you would match blue and red crosshairs with the white one manually with the remote.

Oooh, please do BGB. I know they used to use signal generators and the like to check color balance...But I haven't actually seen a service tech in years (I had a friend when I was younger whose family had an old-school RP). They might not do anything special nowadays.

However, if they still use special RF equipment, a good set of equipment will be prohibitively expensive and require some previous electronics and emag knowledge to operate properly. Not worth the investment unless you're really into electronics as a hobby (for Mini). My TV does the matching lines, and I don't imagine a professional tuner would do much more than that for convergence but I don't know. A good professional would adjust your colors and such, as well, and should be able to give you a lifespan for your tubes, etc...but I'm amazed at the amount of things you can do on-screen with today's TVs, professionals might not do anything fancy anymore.

do professional tuners do anything more than what I do on a regular basis which is match the blue/red lines on the white grid all over my screen? (65" mit.)

and if they do, what do they cost?

Yes Mini. From what I hear the best calibration and techs to use are ISF certified. Cost is anywhere b/tw $200-400.

However, what I plan on doing (at least at first until the TV is broken in) is to buy a calibration DVD (AVIA and/or DVE). I hear that if you will spend some time, it is VERY helpful.

I dont know if you will want/need a HD-DVD player to run the disk. I dont think its absolutely necessary?

Fox--THANKS for the info! I hear that DirecTV (my provider) doesnt have any locals or the big networks on HD signal yet. True? I will need to run a dang antenna? I dont want to buy the HD box from DirecTV AND a built in tuner! :angry:

Yes Mini.  From what I hear the best calibration and techs to use are ISF certified.  Cost is anywhere b/tw $200-400.

However, what I plan on doing (at least at first until the TV is broken in) is to buy a calibration DVD (AVIA and/or DVE).  I hear that if you will spend some time, it is VERY helpful.

I dont know if you will want/need a HD-DVD player to run the disk. I dont think its absolutely necessary?

Fox--THANKS for the info!  I hear that DirecTV (my provider) doesnt have any locals or the big networks on HD signal yet.  True? I will need to run a dang antenna? I dont want to buy the HD box from DirecTV AND a built in tuner!  :angry:

DO you need a HD dvd to do it...no its just the the resolution on HD TV is greater than that of a regular dvd therefore, the convergence is more accurate. As far as just playing with settings with the remote the "TV'S" adjustment are minimal, I'd take a picture for you but I don't have any hosting, but My TV has at least 40 different manual adjustment screws on it to correct it right. Furthermore, "TV's" convergence doesnt match all three colors ( Red Green Blue ) with all directions it can converge in. This means that you don't have full control and full direction to which way the seperate colors can "move". The video set up discs are VERY VERY helpful in setup , but as I have been explaining CRT is not just yesterday's technology its yesteryear's technology.

Cool, thanks Ghost! Glad to know there are all those knobs in there still, makes me feel better about pre-buying service techs. ^_^ At least I know they're doing something I can't (or don't want to) do.

Goot...Dunno much about satellite, but if you buy a tuner built-in to the TV all its good for is raw HD signals going to the TV. This works with antennas, or, back in the day, you might remember people with cable-ready TVs hooking their cable right up to the TV...I don't know if that'd work with these new monstrosities, but point is, the HD tuner in the TV only works if HD signal goes straight to the TV. If you have satellite, they most likely provide a box for you. You'd need to upgrade to an HD box, and then the box decodes the signal for you and formats it for your television. No tuner needed in the TV.

Don't have the local channels in HD? Then, unless there's another provider around, you'd need to check and see that the local stations simulcast in HD, and if they do, then yes, an antenna on the TV would do it. Also, you'd have to remember that you have to switch to the TV tuner to see the HD local channels and back to whatever input you are on to watch satellite.

Do you need both? I'm honestly not sure, someone more skilled (Ghost?) will have to take that one. I do believe to get the HD signals that satellite has AND the locals on the antenna you'll need one in the TV and one in the satellite box, but again, I'm not sure, so don't take my word for it.

ISF, that's the organization name! Thanks, guys!

You don't nned both tuners....at this point a HD tuner "in" the TV is a waste...for me anyway.....I don't know where you are, but my digital cable company offers like 7 HDTV channels at no charge.....yes I can purchase an upgrade but its not really worth it. Most digital service providers offer free channels or ones at a really low price.....sooner or later its gonna be a big switch because a downgrade is easy to just watch the HD signal on a regular TV, at that point HD "should" be free for everyone, but who knows....everyone in this world is trying to make money...right?? HD ready is more than enough because 9 out of 10 cable customers now need a box....the boxes have the tuner built in, why pay for it if your gonna bypassit on the TV anyway.

I want to add something. Goot this might put things in a little better perspective for you. I am going to need a new TV very shortly. Now I have a decision to make. I have been researching TV's for a LONG time now, and I know what almost everythign is, and what each company has to offer. But unlike you with bills, GF, car payment etc etc I dont know if I want to drop 2 grand into a set up right now. On the other hand my convergence is so screwed up the highest HD signal I can get looks like a VCR tape from the 70's. The Front projection will be purchased in the next year, but do I want to wait that long for it? I dunno....The only way I am going to buy another RP TV is if i get one from 6th ave or somethuign that is on special. Fry's, 6th Ave, and other stores like this run specials all the time....basic RP HD ready TV for like 700 bucks....If I am going to do this this is the only route I personally will choose. Spending a ton of money on a brand ne RP TV is a waste to me.....Its like leasing a car you spend all this money and wind up with nothing in the end.

This also is a bit different for me due to the fact that my sound set up cost me over 7k and I dont need a TV with a built in sound system.

*EDIT* while reading over this whole entire post I realzied something. Its hard to understand "intentions" when your readign text. When I wrote everything it was meant to be informative, in NO way was I/am I trying to talk you out of anything. I just wanted to give you my own first hand experience, and make sure you know 100% what you are getting into. If my best friend asked me to go to the store with him so I could help him drop 4000 dollars on a crt TV i would smack the taste out of his mouth. (in a good way ) that is all I am trying to do here. I would hate to see you un happy in the short future.

Edited by [Mmmm]Ghost

I agree with Ghost, it's not a great technology in the long-run...But speaking from the married, animals, mortgage side of things, if I were going to get a big-screen, the RPTV I got was purchased out of necessity. For what I paid for the RPTV, entry-level Plasma wasn't even available at twice that (though some knockoff brands are now). I would definitely agree that you should shop around, G00t, because I don't know if I mentioned (and I'm too lazy to read back :P) that wife and I shopped around awhile for ours to go on sale, real good deal.

Ghost, if you've got a $7,000 sound system then you should definitely go all the way with the TV, man! What TVs do you most like?

I'd take one for $1300, that's fo' shizzy.

And whatever it's worth, my uncle has a...gotta be ten year old RP that still looks fine, and I don't think he's ever had it professionally tuned. On-set tweaked, sure, but I doubt he'd pay for an ISF guy, especially up in NY (their rates have to be huge).

Another hint I thought of, if you get speakers, make sure they're shielded if you're going to put them next to the TV. The magnets in the speakers will screw with your alignment something awful otherwise. That, or try and separate the two as much as possible.

yeah, Plasma is not the way to go at all actually.  They are super neat though!

Ghost, Im looking at front projection options.  One problem is that I dont want to drop the cash on a sound system yet though. :(  I guess I could wait a year and do both at the same time though ;)

went to costco a while ago... and i saw the projection "projecter" it was real cheap and it was small machine... BUT had a huge Screen... it was on a huge projection screen..

was awsome.. looked good to

it was only 900 for projectior.. dont know bout the screen

NuT- :bang::bang: