Tweaking rates

strangefamous

couple updates:

As I understand it, GC servers are supposed to be limited to 30,000.

Also, there is NO mention here of the repeat error packets. Valve sends 2 EXTRA pkts of info for every pkt it sends. In other words, 3:1 ratio. If you dont pay heed to that, you are trying to send your ultra high amount, and ALSO 2 times as much along with it when you already maxxed it.

only #3 is at 30000. all other servers run a default of 25000. 30000 is the cal (and twl) legal limit. this was changed a while ago - 11/11/2005 to be exact. can you share some of your rates links?

btw, i can run the cfg above fine on 1, 2, & 4 with an athlon 64 3200, 128mb radeon 9800, 1.5gb ram, and a 3mb/512kb sbc dsl. since this mzima route nastiness, i've had to tone it down on my side when going to #3.

That was the whole point of what I was discussing with you. A players rates were totally messed up. He had cmd at 100, updaterate at 3960, and rate around 750,000. He swore up and down that it was correct and that you helped him with the math.

For scientific purposes I tried it on several servers, even tho Ive done it before:

cmd 100

update 100

rate 30000

Results:

choke 50-100

loss 0-4

Although I have several other tweaks, my basic settings that I generally run are:

cmd 50

update 65

rate switch between 25000 and 30000

When I hear people complaining about getting choke in our servers, I check their rates. They are invariably running too high. When I give them new settings all problems are gone.

Caseys config is for a 100 tic server, competition setup-rig, 10 players, and ideal for a LAN.

Playing on your home PC across the country with 22 players in a pub isnt the same.

I have no idea where the above info came from, but i have seen many documents stating otherwise. And after I tried it yet again this morning, it still holds true. Raising those numbers above what you can handle causes packetloss and choke in huge amounts. This will also affect your interpolation of events incorrectly, giving false info to what you see.

So, I still say to that player from #3, please DO NOT suggest or recommend any of your rates or networking ideas to gc players. The end result will be people complaing it is our servers, etc etc. And makes more work for admins trying to get the players back AND setup back to normal.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

that player missed a pretty vital part of the many posts in here:

like strange said in the first post, if you still experience choke/loss, adjust your cl_update/cl_cmdrate. adjust both cl_updaterate/cl_cmdrate in the same increments. for example, if 100 isn't working, change it to 95 ON BOTH! take small steps, between 5-10, until you find your sweet spot.

the extent of the help i gave him was that post (*). it's not my intention to have people come in here and 30 seconds later have a few numbers they don't understand, plug em into a cfg, and call it gravy. heck, i still don't fully understand them. that's why i was asking for your links. not to shake or challenge your credibility, but to learn more about it myself.

Also, there is NO mention here of the repeat error packets. Valve sends 2 EXTRA pkts of info for every pkt it sends

No wonder! I was always under the asumption that the server sends 2 error packets for every 30 packets sent (or whatever you have set up). I've got my backup packets set to like 5 or 7.... so I'm like...cluttering up my net info major bad.

8 packets sent for every one command. No wonder I'm seeing choke at cmdrate greater than 30. Good to know!!

I might set it lower than 2 actually, or just plain 0. If you set your cl_cmdrate higher than 30 then you'll be sending repetative info anyway, so why worry about backup packets at this point?

So if you have cl_cmdbackup "0"

and cl_cmdrate "100" then you'll be sending 30 commands and 60 backups, or 1:2 ratio...sounds like the same as cl_cmdrate 30 and cl_cmdbackup 2 to me. :)

Edited by Brillow_Head

as a general rule, set the backup to 2, then slowly over time reduce cl_updaterate and then cmdrate by 5 one at a time. Give it a good several minutes between any change. Once choke is gone, slowly increase one or the other until you find the maximum you can run in each without choke or loss.

On xTs old hyper server I could run 100/100. In gc I cant go over up 50 cmd 65.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

i probably did it wrong, so it probably doesn't mean anything. but i setup a local server.

- sv_cheats 1

- sv_shothitboxes 2

- host_timescale .5

- fake_netlag 1

i'm using a modified caseys cfg (cl_updaterate 85, cl_cmdrate 100, rate 30000, cl_interp .01, cl_interpolate 1).

conclusion: aim for the body, not "projected hitboxes."

in other words, forget everything i just said.

I"m interested to see how this works out for you, I tend to have some small problems with choke and I'd be curious to see if there's a noticible difference (good or bad).

Played a grand total of twice with the cmd backup set to 2 and cmdrate at 30. Actions seem sharper, my first shots go where the crosshairs are now, they use to go slightly down and to the left. Haven't noticed much in the way of choke, but my constant 1-2 loss is prettymuch gone.

yah. For example if you were to come play at #3, after you connect, pull down console and it willl tell you all the things it reverted, that being one of them.

Its only while you are connected tho...doesnt actually try to change your config of course.

• 2 years later...

this doesnt make any sense....I dont get any choke right now with my rates

rate=25000

cl_updaterate = 30

cl_cmdrate = 80, but now seems to default to 60....

I dunno....I'll leave mine alone, last time I messaed with it I got 50 choke