Weapon Skins

Do skinners really have the potential to unbalance a game like this? Out of raw curiosity, i can understand some of the advantages that can come of it, but most of the stuff offered here seems to be 'in good taste'.

I know that using models obviously changes the colors of the people, and can make them more recognizable from distances or in dark...and gives an obvious advantage.

I honestly didn't know people had models out for source, wasn't really looking. The other day someone told me they used custom models. Haven't seen any personally yet.

Oh, I wasn't talking about player models. I just found some cool looking reskins/new models for guns that I liked. Personally my favorite part about it is that the world models are high-poly with most modeled weapons so when it falls on the ground, or when people are holding it it looks a lot better.

I don't have a problem using custom skins for guns as long as they don't give an advantage. I used to use a modifed scope for my scoped guns but checked with the server admin first to make sure it wasn't giving an advantage. Some of the "scopes" out there give a huge advantage (remove the black and other things).

There was ways in 1.6 for people to use custom weapon skins to get advantages although I'm not sure what they all were.

I used to use custom models since the old 1.6 ones were so blocky and ugly, but when I started playing in CAL I went back to std models since they require it.

I can see why they require everyone to be using the same "equipment." It's why any sport has regulations and rules, to keep the only difference between players as their skill.