wireless router problem

lazarus

okay, i got a friend. he plays here alot recently spongebob aka max saiko. anyway he has an apt and runs a wireless connection to his computer. it's only about 40 ft from the router and has 1 wall inbetween. but very often he has to restart his comp to find a connection. when he restarts, the connection strength is "excellent" but after about an hour...no connection. anyone else have a problem like this or any quick fixes besides trying to move his desk closer to the router?

I have this problem with my laptop. I usually disable and re-enable the network card to re-establish a connection instead of rebooting. I lessened the problem greatly by disabling any "special features" my router had that was "supposed" to increase my speed. I have a D-link router and it has it's Super G setting as well as a burst thing. Disabled both and I went from having to reconnect every 5 minutes or so to only once ever couple hours and more often then not, it reconnected itself before I really lost connection.

Seriously, what kind of router do you have? I'd look up the manual (or pull it out if your friend didn't toss it in the trash already) and find out (1) what it can do and (2) how to shut it off.

I've seen the same problem with DLink's speed boosting technology, and to a limited extent with Linksys's also. IT's supposed to be compatible with everything, but it often gives problems if everything on the network is not only from the same manufacturer but capable of the speed boosting technology. Another thing I would check, only because it's easy, is the signal strength on the computer. An hour of solid connection then a shutoff is not symptomatic of a bad signal, but you never really know with wireless. I'd also look into the manufacturer's site, see if there's any information about this and BIOS updates to fix this problem, and you might need to check his computers' drivers depending on the card.

I would also suggest having your friend download an app called Netstumbler. This is generally used by wardrivers to find networks that have the SSID broadcast turned off and figure out what security the network is running. Safe program and is also very useful for figuring out if neighbors are running on the same channel as you. Try another channel if you find another AP on the same.

And yes...logging into the router is a must if you want any form of security setup. This is also where you can swap channels as well. Have him read up in the manual first. Sometimes this is a .pdf that can be found on the install CD.

had a client with similair problems. resolved it easily by:

1. updating wNIC to latest drivers

2. disabling WEP.

3. disable SSID broadcast.

4. create unique SSID.

the problem died after this. but, if it continues/resurfaces:

---

5. update router to latest firmware.

might have been dumb luck, but worked for this scenario.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

I resolved similar issues by returning my D-link piece of crap and going to a Linksys. I replaced the D-link twice thinking it was faulty hardware. The problem lays in the lack of any real cooling and they overheat. No problems ever since going to Linksys though. (And to add, I was a big fan of D-link till the wireless problems when I went from non wireless to a wireless router. Even changed router types)

Edited by zerodamage .gc

That router is hot. It would be nice to have a router with gigabit LAN, but I already got my D-Link gigabit switch, so oh well. Currently, I'm running a SURFboard 4200 into a DI-604, to a DGS-1008D, and then I have a DWL-2100AP connected to that. I'm a D-Link fanboy.

Eh, nice, but not my cup o' tea for $120 retail. My current router does QoS, I just need to configure it which I don't mind taking the five minutes out of my day per game and the gigabit would only help me in-house anyway. But it's a nice router, especially for p33ps who send massive amounts of data between computers. Say any household with more than one gaming machine. Or those who aren't familiar with TCP and don't want to deal with tweaking their connections.