the whole scoop on valve's fancy new name bug

ok, I have figured where names are correct, and where they are not.

1.) The stats block is wrong. It seems upon loading a new map, the names are fine. As people leave and new people join, the names of those who left are used for the those who joined.... but only to the people who were in before the new person in question joined. So if you join, the names will be fine for you until people leave and new people join while you're there.

2.) The displayed name when someone uses a mic is wrong. It will correspond to the name on the stats block.

3.) The names displayed when seeing enemies, teammates, and the death notices are wrong.

4.) The names when people type in chat and use radio messages (including nades) are right. So, many times you will see someone chat who you don't see at all in the stats block. (or you may even see their name on the other team, or on your team... but an incorrect score.) These are the people who are actually in the server.

5.) The names displayed in console for damage given and taken are correct. This is usually how I determine just who is who, coupled with who is chatting.

6.) I believe that the names displayed in the Join Server box are also correct.

So, this is your guide to foil valve's diabolical plot to make us all stop playing cs. It'll never happen, valve! Now just give us VAC2 and accept the inevitable! :peace:

Mk....

let's take guesses on when this will be fixed.

I say there will be an update tomorrow...oh....7 PM Est!

I think HLSW is correct....

Gonna move this to source forum.

(edited)

[nub]erm... it sounds like you are sure of this fatty. I've heard tales of this HLSW, but do not know what it is... could you enlighten me plz? :unsure: [/nub]

edit: ok, I do believe it's an admin tool after some research... but it has random information about valve updates? can anyone get this? :biggrin:

Edited by JavaBomberman

Yeah the name bug is definately not cool. I got owned by it once already. I suggest to everyone just change your name then change it back every time you join the server. You could create a one button bind for this pretty easily.