The Life Aquatic

soul .gc

I just saw a commercial for this movie coming on DVD. I wanted to again stress how much this movie SUCKS!

It is the worst movie I saw this year, and possibly the worst in the last 2 years. It has zero comedy, bad acting, a horrible plot and ridiculous special effects and cinematography.

If you see this in the rental store you may want to consider paying the store to remove it from the shelf haha.

Wow. I absolutely loved this movie, as did my roommate. Did you like Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums?

I thought the plot was very unique and off the wall (which = very good in my book), the comedy was top notch! a superb line up for actors who did a beautiful job. We're talking Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett, Anejelica Huston, Willem Dafoe, and Jeff Goldblum. And there was this Brazillian fellow, Seu Jorge, who was playing acoustic covers of David Bowie all throughout the movie. It was hilarious!! As for the special effects and cinematogrophy; these were also very unique and bizarre, and added to the overall mood of the film. It was a comedy bordering on dark comedy. It was totally bizarre, which made me love it that much more. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

wow.

i think you mighta missed the train, soul. i watched this again on friday night (for the 4th time) and not only do i think it's better than tennenbaums and rushmore...it might be one of the most interesting and unique movies i've ever watched.

there are atleast two ends of the movie spectrum, one side being "the fast and the furious" and "the life aquatic..." being on the completely opposite end. one isn't more divine than the other, but there's a clear disctinction.

the life aquatic has a complete disregard for cookie cutter hollywood movies. i remember walking out of the theatre feeling like i just watched "the magic school bus" on some whacked out hallucinogen.

two big thumbs up.

:thumbsup:

I've been interested in seeing this film for awhile now, I just haven't gotten around to it. From the previews, it looked like it was going to be somewhat similar in style to Lost in Translation and Garden State. I don't really know how to describe the similarity, but they're both...really interesting, almost plotless films. Bah, I don't know how to say it, suffice to say that it's a different type of film than most.

I enjoyed this movie a lot. I had high expectations going in, and while I was a little disappointed at first, the last 15 minutes or so truly redeemed the film.

And yes, the music is great (I've got the soundtrack). Very good mix of music, and the Portuguese covers are great.

It's a unique film that doesn't fit the mold of anything to come out of Hollywood in the last couple of years. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for something out of the ordinary...

hehe - I am amazed, I did not think anyone liked this movie. No, I did not like Tenenbaums or Rushmore but they were better than this thing.

I am glad some folks liked it but, in my opinion, it is the worst....maybe that is why it even failed to break even on money hehe.

I really enjoyed the movie, and will watch it again and again for years to come. However, that guy needs to write a new movie or risk turning into Woody Allen. If you've seen a couple Woody Allen movies, you've seen them all. Wes Anderson shook things up with Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, but seems to me to still be doing the exact same thing. He needs to grow and evolve to keep me interested in his future projects... David Mamet was giving me a bit of that after Glengarry Glen Ross and Spanish Prisoner, but has since really varied his style.

In most cases, I think this movie is a "hate it or love it" kind of thing. I still want to see it because most people I've talked to loved it, and I liked the Royal Tenenbaums a lot.

• 2 months later...