Upgrade CPU

whudats

Hey fellas. I've never upgraded my CPU - basically just added RAM, Vid/Sound cards, drives, etc.

How hard is it to upgrade the CPU in your machine? I have a Dell Dimension 4600, not sure on the MB. I'm just curious to know if this is as easy to do as a vid card or hard drive...

(edited)

Basically all rules apply to CPU as to other cards,RAM ect. Just make sure you either wear an anti-static strap or stay in contact with the case by touching it to your skin. Make sure you have your monitor and power cord removed from the back to avoid any type of power discharge. You will need a flat tip screwdriver and you can follow one of the install guide below.

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/cpu/CPU.htm

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/cpu/CPU.htm

Also your board will only support up to a 3.2ghz HT 800fsb. What CPU is currently in your system? I find that most people who are looking for better performance usually go straight to the CPU, but if you want to see some real improvement max out your RAM and Vid card first. Once that is done CPU is the next step in performance.

You also will need to buy your heatsink and Fan from Dell or find one that is compatable with your motherboard. I read in the Dell forums that they made thier 4600 systems to only use a Dell HS/Fan.

Hope this helps

Edited by Preacher

Thanks Preacher - that's a huge help!

What do you suggest is the best place to buy a processor? Newegg? And do you always have to buy a new fan and heatsink when replacing processors?

Basically all rules apply to CPU as to other cards,RAM ect. Just make sure you either wear an anti-static strap or stay in contact with the case by touching it to your skin. Make sure you have your monitor and power cord removed from the back to avoid any type of power discharge. You will need a flat tip screwdriver and you can follow one of the install guide below.

Preacher, if your not going to wear a wrist strap then you MUST have the power cord pluged into your box while working on it.. (if you just have your skin touching the box) BECAUSE that is the only way its grounded..

yes this is true that you will be connected to ground...but if the system is powered off then it is only earth ground (the third pin). This is different than logic ground. In either case the fact that the metal case is so much larger than your electrical component, it acts as a good ground plane for you to work with. at any rate you'll discharge into the case and because of the larger surface area it will disipate any static energy you pump into it and leave your delicate hardware undamaged.

Edited by Brillow_Head

If you have a very large static problem in your house, you may want to go to Radio Shack, buy a power cable and butcher it up so only the ground connects to your computer. You might even build a grounding strap into the end of it to secure to the case / your wrist if you were really, really concerned about static. That way, you've got a really big ground (earth ground) without having to connect your computer to power.

However, If I had that big a static problem I think I'd turn off the Van der Graff generator instead.

(edited)

wrist-straps are for sissy's :P seriously though, I have built many machines since my first K6-450Mhz build about 6-7 years ago and have never used a wrist strap and I have never had anything short out by static electricity.

Edited by NOFX

LOL just don't confuse hot for ground LOL

Yeah, I never used a wrist-strap either, but I was careful to make sure I was discharged and I even used to set up a workstation that mitigated a lot of the static risk factors. I've gotten a little lazy, but I justify that by saying the components are built better... :rolleyes:

I'm glad you guys are having so much fun with this thread! :biglaugha:

I've ordered the processor and will let you know how it goes. It sounds fairly easy. Thanks for everyones', ahem, help...

:wiggle2:

Well, here's what happened:

1. No problem installing the processor. Took about 8 minutes or so - didn't even need any tools.

2. I start it up with no problems, everything comes on, I check the "My Computer" properties and it recognized the new processor - 3.2 ghz.

3. I restart, and go into the BIOS to enable hyperthreading, and then start-up.

4. After it starts up, again no problems, it automatically installs something - I'm assuming it is something for the HT - and asks for reboot.

5. When restarted, it hangs on the XP screen about 1/3 of the way across the progress bar, then reverts to the "Startup Options" screen, where you can choose to Start in safe mode, etc. If I choose "start to last known good blah..." it does the same thing (hangs, goes to startup options).

6. I start in safe mode, then when asked to restore, hit yes, etc., and restore to the last shutdown before I turned on HT support in the BIOS. It starts with no problems, but then automatically installs whatever it did before (assuming, again, the HT whatever).

7. The cycle continues until I disable HT support in the BIOS.

Anybody know why this is? I'm going to look around a little on the net - see what I can find.

Thanks!

I haven't been home to check it out, but could this be related to my RAM? I think I have two different kinds of RAM installed, one DDR and one not. Could this be an issue with the HT?

giving the size of DDR sticks. I would say it is impossible to have a non DDR ram in a DDR slot. make sure your motherboard supports HT, well I guess it does if you can turn it on and off...hm....