New computer in the making

not to shabby..

plan on buying the second video card when the price drops a little?

also, i dont perticularliy like the case. when you get that second video card it's going to get hot hot hot in there. I would sugest somthing with a little more cooling capability. While aluminum is a good conductor of heat, it might get a little hot in there when running at full tilt.

it may look a bit tacky, but i would sugest getting somthing with a fan on the top to blow out the hot air, or even one with a window (and fan in the middle) so it can suck out the hot air from the video cards. Or even better one with e a top and side fan, and then set the top fan to blow air out of the case, and the window fan to suck outside air in :)

anyways, just my thoughts

Yeah I do plan on getting a second graphics card later on. :)

Thanks for the heat prob. Never thought of that. I really want a small case. Something that doesnt have a window. Something like looks slower then it seems case. If you guys have any good ones I would love to check them out. Newegg has a lot of cases. Havent seen em all yet :)

(edited)

For hiding speed in a plain wrapper I would suggest the Antec SLK3700-BQE . BQE stands for Black Quiet Edition. We have 2 of the SLK3700-BQE's here at the house and both are pretty silent. One is the media PC and only has one rear 120mm fan in it and it runs 24/7 silently. The other is a workhorse so I removed the metal honeycomb for the front fan to improve intake, went with a single HD placed at the top of the HD rack to limit airflow blockage, bought 2 higher CFM 120's, and upgraded power supply (which I would suggest for your setup too). My only knock against this one is no fan filters.

Note: The SLK2650-BQE is smaller cousin of the SLK3700-BQE with the loss of of 2 internal drive bays, reduction of front fan from 120mm to 80mm, and addition of fan guide for P4 systems.

If size weren't an issue I would suggest looking at the Antec P180. It is huge (only an 1" bigger than my current rig, SX1040B II) but I think this will be my next case for my gaming rig. Hearing good things. Here's a review. Separate cooling zones look really impressive and well thought out. EndPCNoise & FrontierPC offer a P180 black edition but I haven't heard of either of these stores before and they have no volume of ratings on resellerratings.com.

Edited by HWarrior

(edited)

case is way too expensive for what you get. It looks ok but it has no side window or side fan which does limit the air cooling capacity for your system. Here is a great one at a much lower price: http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant....oduct_Code=8112

And here is one that is really just a cool one: http://www.xoxide.com/clearacatxca.html

I can't speak intelligently about the PCI-E video cards because I'm still running my agp, but why pay someone $50 to OC your card when you can do it yourself for free http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130220

Plenty of guys here will help you with OCing stuff.

Edited by Preacher

psu sucks. get something better like antec, enermax, fortron, etc. also, sli is over rated. just get a x800xl and it'll pwn sli'ed 6600gts (especially in source). use the money you save on not getting the sli mobo to pay the bit extra for the xl. also, i might splurge and get the maxtor with 16mb cache.

TeK
(edited)

cujo is right, that psupply is terrible. When I built my rig before christmas I was reccomended that and the enermax, all killer bought like 2 of them and both arrived dead.

Now running an enermax supply which ZD reccomended.

SLI is the way to go IMO. I like the setup, might want to look into possibly a bigger chip.

Also, those acrylic cases are a pain. You have to wire ur comp origami style for an acrylic case to look nice. It's tough to do and you have to wear gloves cause finger prints get on them very easy.

Edited by TeK

SLI is catching up fast and if you want to be smart get one now if you are purchasing a new PC that will improve your options for upgrading in the future.

Here is another case I saw today. I like the fan options that it has without the stupid window lol 4 80mm (one side, one blowhole and 2 rear exaust) and a 120mm intake.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811124075

Well what does he plan on playing more? I guess thats really the question. I'm running a x800XT and I barely play source, i got mine almost 9 months ago cause i found a very good price for it.

Well what does he plan on playing more?  I guess thats really the question.  I'm running a x800XT and I barely play source, i got mine almost 9 months ago cause i found a very good price for it.

What do you mean barely? I have a 9600XT 256mb card and mine runs fine even with the settings on high. If you have trouble running source maybe it's your RAM, Net issues like adware or something else. If it is your video card that is the problem I suggest getting a new one from the manufacturer before your year is up.