Summer Events

TeK

I know Fragfest is approaching closer and closer each day. I for one am hoping I can attend by right now its a no go as much as I would love to. This week I am heading off to France to attend ESWC, one of the biggest summer tourney's for counter-strike.

Unfortunately, CPL and ESWC had scheduling conflicts and both events will be occuring at the exact same time. Gotfrag is going to have numerous people on site for both events and we plan on bringing you the latest and greatest coverage and articles we can give. Last year, CPL Summer was one of the largest events of all time with EYE coming out on top over SK.swe, CPL Winter saw NoA take down EYE in the finals. ESWC saw SK.dk(Formly the Titans) take the event over spiXel. This year there is going to be some great competition at both events and it should be quite a week. CPL is playing host to a WC3, CS 1.6, CS:Source, Painkiller, and Halo 2 X-Box tourney. ESWC is hosting a CS 1.6, WC3, GT4, Quake 3, UT2k4, and Pro evolution Soccer 4 tournament.

A little background on some teams attending both events.

ESWC - coL(Top American CS team right now), 3D(Regaining their once dominant form), NiP(Legendary team back in full form, names include HeatoN and Potti), 4kings(Have some of the biggest name players playing)

CPL - Sk.swe(Just reborn a week ago featuring players from the 2003 team which took every international event that year), EG(Canadian powerhouse who just recruited big name "shaGuar" for the summer) Fnatic(CS team who played under the Tag M&M, now attending CPL under Fnatic name with all world class players like XeqtR from team NoA), GamerCO(Took 3rd at the previous 2 CPL Events), United 5(Under DiE name, took 7th in the winter CPL)

CPL is being held at the Gaylord resort and hotel in Grapevine, Texas while ESWC this year has switched gears from the Futurescope park in Paris to having it at the Louvre(Mona Lisa?) this year.

I know many of you aren't into the competition thing but if you ever want to watch some world class players and teams play now is your shot. As far as Source TV or sepctator capabilities I am not too sure on the source end. CS1.6 will have HLTV running for both events so you can catch some amazing matches.

For anyone wanting to watch ESWC, Paris is +6 hrs from EST.

This is something I do each summer to inform this great community about a few large events happening. urK?!? is also a senior member of the site and has helped the site grow immensly and who is also a tremendous individual.

Enjoy all and hope you enjoy everything our site has to offer ;)

Site - http://www.gotfrag.com <--- Largest eSports site on the web for news and coverage

Cool writeup. Sounds exciting! Someday I'll attend one of those so I can see it go down!

How far is that from you, Lunk? Maybe you could be the GC reporter!

Lunk, stopping shaGuar for some comments:

Lunk: Hey, I'm from GC, and-

shaGuar: From where?

Lunk: GamersCoaltion

shaGuar: what's that, yo?

Lunk: erm. You play online games, right?

shaGuar: <stares>

Lunk: Anyways, can I ask you a few questions?

shaGuar: sure, shoot

Lunk: Do you think-

shaGuar: Ohhh, wait. gamerscoalition. Isn't that where Mmmm is from?

Lunk: Yea!

shaGuar: Dude, back in the day, I wanted to be Mmmm. They still around?

Lunk: Heck ya, Mmmm actually played CAL-0 this year, but just missed the playoffs.

shaGuar: oooh.

Lunk: Ya, well, anyways. The questions?

shaGuar: sure, sorry.

Lunk: Ok, well, a big topic in our community is always about team stacking. My question for you is this: Do you think CAL should step in and do something about the team-stacking that goes on in CAL?

shaGuar: <blank look>

Lunk: Well, you know, it just seems that the teams are stacked. Like always.

shaGuar: <looks around>

Lunk: I mean, I know there's of course no autobalance in those games, but don't you think that after like 8-0 or something obvious that people should perhaps switch to help out the other side? That's what everyone around our community seems to think should happen in our servers.

shaGuar: um, how can you "stack" a team in CAL?

Lunk: Right. That's what most people say, that it's not even stacking. Ok, whatever. Well, between me and you <leans in closer>...I stack the crap out of teams and then deny it completely in the forums.

shaGuar: you go.

Lunk: <laughs in Texan laugh, not noticing he's spitting on shaGuar>

shaGuar: ok, gotta run.

Lunk: One more question, does your name come from the old-style carpet that was popular in the 70's?

shaGuar: I'm late, sorry.

Lunk: Hey thanks, ya'll.

Lunk: Right.  That's what most people say, that it's not even stacking.  Ok, whatever.  Well, between me and you <leans in closer>...I stack the crap out of teams and then deny it completely in the forums.

shaGuar: you go.

:biglaugha:

wait... o0o

I just watched the first round of the mouz / SK match...oh my gosh...you just gotta watch it. Incredible the way it ended (just the first round alone). Wow.

PS. I don't have to work as hard. Not my fault life is easy, don't blame me! :boing: Don't hate me because it's natural!

<exits, finds Urk, gives him a "work over."

I watched a little more...just amazing watching those teams....although the nades are weird looking how they fly in 1.6 (remember the learning curve to Source?)

I hope the American team wins!

TeK

Well I'm back home(Finally!)

What an amazing time I had at ESWC. The venue was kickin and I got to meet a ton of people. Allthough most of my time was spent in front of a computer screen, I still had a good time at the event.

Luckily enough, the Americans SWEPT Counter-Strike. Both the women's and men's teams won and I'm extremely proud of them. It was great to see compLexity to win. Those guys have a ton of heart to win and are really funny in person.

If you haven't checked it out, urk?!? linked it up a bit to all of our coverage during the event. There are some pics of both events, CPL and ESWC, so if you want to check em out go for it!