bots, bots, bots.

GC Alumni
(edited)

this is being harvested out of another thread. i'd like it to get its own attention, so here we go...

Would it be possible to spawn bots automatically when the server is empty?  Often times on scopeless it's empty after 4AM until about 10AM.  I find bots a good way to practice moves, etc. just for the sake of repetition.

i heard there were some issues with the bots on the server, but i'm not exactly sure what the problem was.

a quick touch of the search button shows this topic has come up before:

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...topic=16228&hl=

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...topic=16568&hl=

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...topic=16566&hl=

if there's no problem, how many bots would you be thinking? we could set it so there's always atleast 4 players....

4 bots, 0 ppl

3 bots, 1 player

0 bots, 4+ players, etc.

...or something along those lines

steam has since released a few updates, so we may be able to give this another shot.

need input. for or against?

Edited by stuttering.john

I'd be willing to entertain this again. There was a time when bots would freak out the server.

Whenever I'm up before dawn, I jump in and fight with some bots (they make me laugh when I say "Follow Me" and I hear one of them reply, "Uhhhh, negative."

Bots don't complain when I slay them.

Guest Sh0rtD0gg
Guest Sh0rtD0gg
Guest Sh0rtD0gg
Guests

Whatever works, either Way it dont matter, they all fall the same as a real person.

I checked out what simkiller was saying in one of them posts, reguarding bots making the server less attractive, because people dont join when there are 7 bots and one human.

I experienced this a lot, being from the UK having a time advantage of 5 hours, its often my responsibility to get the server going. When we had bots in the morning, I found it difficult to make that happen.

However, it is stupidly boring talking to yourself in the server whilst waiting for others to join and help get things going.

My solution:

Add 1 bot, so the first regular in the server has someone to play against whilst they are waiting.

I think 1 bot would help more than have 8, as we had before.

Theres my two cents, I do believe they are worth something, due to my personal experience dealing with getting a server up.

Pavid - id you want to practice new things with bots, why not create your own server and add bots there?

Guest Team.lmb < Keith. >
Guests

bots are good.I think 6 is a good number and then they disapear when players come in.

the only porblem I have with bots is someone can come at 3-4 in the morning and play bots until people show up (no real challange) and boost there stats. But what I am told is that GC is not about stats.

at the same time theres a stats page? :shrug03:

But bots are good. :smiling2:

Awesome way to practice. Since I'm still on the terms of CS1.6, I "got" CS:CZ just to practice against bots, and it's improved my game by 6 strokes (lol golf joke).

Now, I just got to get in CS:S for the sake of my sanity.

One question about the bots: Do they come with CS:S, or do you have to download them seperately?

GC Alumni

i don't think the retail box shipped with bots, but it's an automatic download via steam....which is required to play on any servers.

(you can't play 1.4 on 1.6 servers, same in source. steam makes everyone stay up to date.)

6 Bots is too high, people don't join servers to play against bots.

They will go in, see one person with 5 bots, and then leave.

The only use of bots is to give a regular someone to frag against whilst he's waiting for other regulars to join and kick the server off.

therefore, I say keep 1 bot in there so the person starting the server has something to do.

Guest JakJak Attack!!
Guest JakJak Attack!!
Guest JakJak Attack!!
Guests

I hate bots, they're stupid and they can see through walls.

I hate bots, they're stupid and they can see through walls.

Yes, that is infinately annoying.

What's also stupid about them is how they will sometimes run into an enemy bot, and both of the bots will simply stare at each other for sometimes several seconds, before commencing to fire. This can be rather amusing, though. Freakin' hilarious, really.

Edited by Assassinator