100Mbps Home Internet Service Next Year in Finland

Acid-Flux

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Broadband Internet access via TV cables will be able to hit 100 megabits per second as early as next year, 50 times faster than the average broadband speeds now offered to cable TV homes, a Finnish firm said Wednesday.

Similar data transmission speeds are possible over fiber networks, but these cost much more for the operators to build.

"This is a cost-efficient technology as we use the cable TV networks which are already in place," Jukka Rinnevaara, chief executive of small-cap Finnish broadband equipment manufacturer Teleste, told Reuters.

Full story can be found here

You know, we're not that far behind. At the moment alot of locations in the US have "fiber-to-the-curb" where it is routed through some stuff and split out on coax. It's only a matter of time before they fully integrate "fiber-to-the-house" options in newer residences.

Was talking to a friend of mine who works for Verizon. He said that they have already started this in the Dallas Fortworth area. It was amazing what all he told me about this fiberoptic stuff. One strand of fiber optics the size of a human hair can run multiple phone lines and internet speeds just like the ones posted above...swweeettt stuff!!

Is it ISA, PCI or external?  That *might* make a differance, although I doubt it. :P

Oh it's a genuine external modem with the printer plug so you can use a printer with it too rofl. I think I still have my cirrus Logic ISA video card someplace that has a whopping 2mb video RAM it's L337 yo

Was talking to a friend of mine who works for Verizon.  He said that they have already started this in the Dallas Fortworth area.  It was amazing what all he told me about this fiberoptic stuff.  One strand of fiber optics the size of a human hair can run multiple phone lines and internet speeds just like the ones posted above...swweeettt stuff!!

they have it there? I know verizon had 45 in NYC. but they already have 100?