I hate scams

Decoy

(edited)

Well tonight I was subject to quite a wonderful scam. Suffice to say, I lost nothing. Here goes my story:

I created an ebay auction.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6792095239. Selling my laptop, so I could get something else for college. After about an hour of this being up, I recieved an email from a guy saying he wanted to buy it.

This is a copy of the email he sent:

i will be sending you payment via PayPal,so make sure you get the package ready for tomorrow shipment ok?And kindly send me your paypal

address,so i can make the payment right away.

So I figured it was legit enough, and I sent him my address. I soon recieved an email that seemed like it was from paypal. It listed the amount he was paying for.

Here's a copy of part of the email:

untitled.JPG

At the time, I was kind of confused by the way it looked, but I let it slide. I then sent him an email saying it didn't contain his shipping address, which is an option you can chose to not send someone on paypal.

He sent me back an email saying:

I have made out my payment to you for this item purchase,So check your mail for the confirmation mail from paypal.Get back to me immediately you receive the confirmation mail from paypal and don't forget to send me your physical contact address and the exact time you will be at home.So i can schedule Fedex to come and pick them up from you in other to reduce the stress of you driving down to their location to send it.Then i can send you my daughters address and fedex account number.Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely

Peter Davidson

So I sent him an email back saying that I suppose he has to send paypal the tracking number, because I found no way to do it.

He responded with:

Hello John,

Thanks for quick respond,Fedex will been coming tomorrow by 8.00am to 9.00am.Am going send you my Fedex # and receiver address later in day .

Regards

P.Davidson

That's when I started to realize what was happening. So I went back and looked over his email. I noticed that it was sent from paypalconfirmations@pay-palpayment.com. I went to check out www.pay-palpayment.com and found it wasn't a real site. That's when I got a little flustered. I called up paypal and only got the automated computer, but it told me what I needed to know. It said that the emails from paypal should look a certain way.

This email I got from a previous paypal payment follows their guidlines:

untitled2.JPG

As you can see, there are quite a few differences between the two emails. I went and checked ebay, the member just joined the same day I got his email. I checked yahoo, where he is a new member.

I knew what was going on and I sent him an email saying:

Also, I will send this myself, so please call off Fedex.  I will only send this once I recieve the money through www.paypal.com, and not pay-palpayment.com.  It appears that it isn't a real site, and Paypal has no knowledge of it.

Once I have the money in my own paypal account, you will recieve the item at whatever address you specify.

I called up the FBI, but their lines were busy. So I sent them a very descriptive email saying the exact same thing here.

I'm happy I avoided a scam, and there's still time to sell my laptop. Maybe one of you want to buy it? :spin2:

Edited by xxDecoy

Hate to say it Decoy but the second I looked at the email i knew it had to be fake. #1 reason is that the dollar amount is typed as 800,00 and not 800.00 a common mistake when typing fast. And emails like that are automated so there would be no mistake like that unless it was on every email u got from paypal (which im certain it isnt). However I am very very happy u avoided the scam through another means of detective work. Although if I were you I woulda led him on more and not tell him you were on to him. That way the FBI would have a better chance of catching him. But in the end you made a good choice and I am glad you didnt get swindled.

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write to eBay. My name is Chadwick and

I would like to address your concerns regarding the bidder

<<<pedavids009>>>.

I reviewed your report and found that appropriate action has been taken

in this matter in accordance with our policies.  At this time, I can

inform you that the member <<<pedavids009>>> you reported is currently

not a registered eBay user. Once a membership is cancelled or suspended,

the user is unable to bid, sell, or exchange feedback on the eBay site.

Due to privacy concerns, I am not at liberty to discuss specific details

of any action taken. I hope you understand this position and that it

assures you that your personal account history will always remain

private.

I love you too, Ebay.

Well tonight I was subject to quite a wonderful scam.  Suffice to say, I lost nothing.  Here goes my story:

I created an ebay auction.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6792095239.  Selling my laptop, so I could get something else for college.  After about an hour of this being up, I recieved an email from a guy saying he wanted to buy it. 

This is a copy of the email he sent:

i will be sending you payment via PayPal,so make sure you get the package ready for tomorrow shipment ok?And kindly send me your paypal

address,so i can make the payment right away.

So I figured it was legit enough, and I sent him my address. I soon recieved an email that seemed like it was from paypal. It listed the amount he was paying for.

Here's a copy of part of the email:

untitled.JPG

At the time, I was kind of confused by the way it looked, but I let it slide. I then sent him an email saying it didn't contain his shipping address, which is an option you can chose to not send someone on paypal.

He sent me back an email saying:

I have made out my payment to you for this item purchase,So check your mail for the confirmation mail from paypal.Get back to me immediately you receive the confirmation mail from paypal and don't forget to send me your physical contact address and the exact time you will be at home.So i can schedule Fedex to come and pick them up from you in other to reduce the stress of you driving down to their location to send it.Then i can send you my daughters address and fedex account number.Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely

Peter Davidson

So I sent him an email back saying that I suppose he has to send paypal the tracking number, because I found no way to do it.

He responded with:

Hello John,

Thanks for quick respond,Fedex will been coming tomorrow by 8.00am to 9.00am.Am going send you my Fedex # and receiver address later in day .

Regards

P.Davidson

That's when I started to realize what was happening. So I went back and looked over his email. I noticed that it was sent from paypalconfirmations@pay-palpayment.com. I went to check out www.pay-palpayment.com and found it wasn't a real site. That's when I got a little flustered. I called up paypal and only got the automated computer, but it told me what I needed to know. It said that the emails from paypal should look a certain way.

This email I got from a previous paypal payment follows their guidlines:

untitled2.JPG

As you can see, there are quite a few differences between the two emails. I went and checked ebay, the member just joined the same day I got his email. I checked yahoo, where he is a new member.

I knew what was going on and I sent him an email saying:

Also, I will send this myself, so please call off Fedex.  I will only send this once I recieve the money through www.paypal.com, and not pay-palpayment.com.  It appears that it isn't a real site, and Paypal has no knowledge of it.

Once I have the money in my own paypal account, you will recieve the item at whatever address you specify.

I called up the FBI, but their lines were busy. So I sent them a very descriptive email saying the exact same thing here.

I'm happy I avoided a scam, and there's still time to sell my laptop. Maybe one of you want to buy it? :spin2:

Keen eye man. Glad to see some loser didnt get a chance to rip you off. :D

Edited by TheReverend(c)