Tweaking the Zombie Mod

Ok hopefully everyone with an idea will get their 2cents in here, but keep in mind your ideas need to be concise, so point form would be preferred, and some kind of format would also help out...here's what im thinking

zombies

- 750-1000 health, regen 5 points a second, normal sized hitbox for their head

weapons

-restrict awp/autosnipes/autoshotty/para

no killing the hosties and extra long fuse on the bomb

did I forget anything?

If the zombies had that much health, even with the slow regen rate, I wouldn't say put restrictions on those weapons. In most open areas, Zombies can easily evade AWPs by moving around in random directions. The only gun I'd say restrict would be the auto-snipeys. Those are as cheap as you can get with zombies. The p-shotgun has it's advantages enough, but would be pretty hard to kill tailing zombies with that much health unless every shot was directly at the head from a couple feet away.

I'd say make the Zombie's health at the most 750 health at your [anonymo] regen rate or maybe 10 health a second?

I'm fine with all of your suggestions except for this one:

Upon further consideration, I think hosties and bombs should stay. The ONLY reason why zombies should kill the hostages or toss the bomb to a bot is if the CT's are being especially cheap (camping in really high spots, using map exploits, etc). One more suggestion:

zombies

-it seems CT's outnumber zombies more than vice versa, so the mod should always add enough bots to the zombie side to balance out the CT's.

You know, it's hard enough for poor shots to hit zombies in the head as it is...do they really need more health? Granted, their regen rate is really fast, so if you don't kill them right away you might as well have not hit them, so this might actually be a better balance with the regen slowed down. I'll play anything once...

I don't know if this can be done, but can CTs slain by T/Zombies be brought back to life as a zombie? That would be really cool.

The bombs / hosties I am conflicted on. The mod's purpose is for zombies and survivors to have an all-out throwdown in which only one group should survive. From this point of view, other goals are relatively meaningless...Especially when we consider that zombies now no longer want to eat brains, they want to plant bombs and poke otherwise healthy hostages.

On the other hand, the other objectives make the situation complex and demand that both teams adapt. If we consider CTs camping the high ground cheap, the same can be said for zombies rushing with the bomb, so keeping or losing it is essentially neutral. Having that secondary objective keeps things moving: I have seen CTs camping high ground, hear the bomb is planted, move together to the bomb killing zombies and successfully disarming the bomb. Adaptation makes the game a bit more interesting. Also, if the zombies are smart enough to work together I could see them trying to destroy critical infrastructure and holding hostages to lure survivors. More to feed, right?

CTs camping high ground could be considered cheap, but in a similar situation (heck, we had a thread dedicated to it) I would want to seek the high ground with a group of people as well. Zombie teamwork can usually go pretty far with thinning the herd (though some places like in Italy even limit what Zombie teamwork can do). A question to ask is, are there custom Zombiemod maps? That might be interesting...

weapons

-restrict awp/autosnipes/autoshotty/para

I assume it's possible to have map specific weapon restrictions. If so, add the Westwood map and limit it to pistols and shotties.

But the hosties' brains are so sweet and tasty...it's cruel punishment on an already acursed lot to keep them from enjoying that appetizer before the main course of CTs arrive :zombie:

I'm not talking about camping high-ground, that's fine. You're right, fox... I'd do the same thing too.

I'm talking about map exploits that cheapen the game. For example, in the train map (name?), I've seen a few people run up the ladder, jump on the railing, and then walk back alongside the wall with no visible foothold. (Note: this isn't the chokepoint where someone runs up the ladder, turns around, and runs up onto the pipe. The exploiter literally is walking on air.)

I'm not talking about camping high-ground, that's fine.  You're right, fox... I'd do the same thing too.

I'm talking about map exploits that cheapen the game.  For example, in the train map (name?), I've seen a few people run up the ladder, jump on the railing, and then walk back alongside the wall with no visible foothold.  (Note:  this isn't the chokepoint where someone runs up the ladder, turns around, and runs up onto the pipe.  The exploiter literally is walking on air.)

I've seen one CT win against 5 or six zombies because of that exploit. I usually play a zombie, and every time on train thre would be at least one person doing this, so at least one of us(zombies) would try to get up that ladder first. But its things like that, that make the zombie mod unfair. I still can't get enough of it though...

Ohhh, yeah...Someone used that 'sploit last time I was on. That is cheap...but maybe we remove de_train? (*gasp*!) That's a knee-jerk reaction, sure, but there are plenty of other good maps out there, and these maps were designed for both sides to have guns, so I don't know if it's the mod that's unbalanced or the maps...

- Dont tweak the health and regen rates crazy-like, start with small changes. Double the Zombies Hp and cutting the regen in half would be just about perfect (900hp, 25hpregen) Zombies wont be able to stand up as long as they could before to constant fire (good balance change) but wont be instant-killed by MASS headshots either (good balance change) As it stands right now, the Zombies HP is a bit too head-shot focused, you MUST drill them in the face about 10 times to kill them, we need to tweak so body-shots matter just a bit more by increasing the hp and reducing the regen. How much is the big question, Starting with x2/2 would be just about perfect i think.

- As far as game-type goes, Custom maps with no hosties or bombs would be best. But thats a lot harder to do, so i'd say leave the dynamic alone. I think this is one instance where camping an area *SHOULD* be allowed. CTs are smarter then zombies, thus they seek the high ground.. and as we all know, when the zombies eventually get up there.. its all over. The dynamic is perfect.

- Keep all the weapons in, but make the Para, AutoSnipe, and AWP cost twice as much (max amount if it goes over) as they normally do. These weapons are slightly broken, but i think they should be in.

well, I finally got around to trying this tonight.

one thin I've noticed is that the FF can really get rough. When those zombies get close in to one of your buddie's it's very hard to take it out without hitting him/her.

I tend to think it maybe should be turned off. But that's just my 2 censts. Still fun either way

FF is a tactic I've used when I was a zombie. When it's me against multiple CT's, the best way to attack them is to obscure one or more player's shots. If FF is turned off, it'll just turn into a spray fest.

To avoid the "shooting fellow teammates" problem goes, just set up a firing line. It works like a champ.