Computer

Magruter

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
Homer,Jan 14 2003, 07:27 PM]I must have fallen behind.  Pricewatch has Ti4800 cards listed.....anyone?

The 9500 Pro looks like the best value now, things change month to month.

Magruter - here's some info lifted off www.pricewatch.com on P4's, all 533mhz bus chips:

$630  3.06ghz with HT (shown for price comparison only)

$372  2.8ghz

$271  2.6ghz

$218  2.53ghz

$178  2.4ghz

$168  2.26ghz

So all will work, just choose your price point.

Or you could get an Athlon XP for like 50 bucks. =)

That is what I did until better technology came along. To me, the Intel chips do not meet my price/performance ratio expectations.

I'm thinking about the 2.53Ghz pent, it's compatatible with the MOBO. Which should be enough power. Hehe

I'm considering both video cards. Personally i don't really care about the tops of picketed fences, i'm looking for just an upgrade from what i have right now. Also i don't want to spend an arm and a leg for 3 more fps and to see the tops of a picket fence. :P

Now sound cards... I need one of those right? I think i'm gonna go with one with 5.1 compatitbilies, even though i normally just use headphones. Who needs 6.1 seems like a waste of money right now. Suggestion for sound cards??

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

Audigy Platinum 2 is nice but way too expensive for just a sound card.

The regular Audigy is just as good, just without all of the extras you do not need. So unless you are doing sound mixing and stuff, the AP2 isn't needed in your case.

Back to the video card thing, get whatever you want. But at higher resolutions, those jaggies become much more proclaimed, and having a good card enough to get rid of them and not hurt performance is a nice thing.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
the 64MB 9500 is 142.oo on newegg,

the 128MB 9500 is 159.oo

the 128MB 9500 PRO is 180.oo ... not 140.00 as ZD has stated.

There were some that were that price. They were "refirbished" 9500 pro's for 130 and 140. They are now gone. I saw them yesterday and ordered one. Thanks

Alrighty i thinks I'm coming close to building this beast. I had about an hour conversation for homer last night and gave me some great advice. I'd just like to thank you again for your time homie.

This is what the comp is looking like as of right now.

Motherboard: ASUS P4S8X $125.00

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4s8x/overview.htm

CPU 234.00 $

Pentium 4 2.53Ghz, 512K cache, 533mhz bus

Video card: ~$100

Geforce 4 4200 Ti 64MB DDR

Sound Card $34.00

Sound Blaster live 5.1

Hard Drive: $80

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM (platium version)

Ram: $118.00

Centon Electronic 512MB 64x64 PC2700 333MHz DDR RAM, 184-pin, CL2.5 8K Refresh, Unbuffered Gold Rev A, NON ECC, 2.5V

Power supply: $58.00

350W

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?...-103-415&depa=1

Case: $65.00

Black Chieftec

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?...-125-262&depa=1

CD-RW: ~$80.00

Sony 52x24x52

Transfer panel: $21.00

ENERMAX's Multifunction Transfer Panel

Floppy: ~$15.00

Cheapy

Monitor ~$150.00

Sony Trinitron 17" Flat Screen

What do you think?? Am I missing anything.

It's not looking that bad.

Totaling $846.00

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

I have two points about your stuff. All looks good, i personally would go with an AMD. Price vs Performance of the Intel stuff doesn't add up to me.

2nd is the RAM. Good RAM, but try to get RAM with a CAS Latency of 2.0 vs the 2.5. Does make a difference.

If you take a look, and this is important to me that you get the best for your money's worth. Look at the Asus Nforce2 mobo. Around 130 dollars, it comes with the onboard sound which is better than the Sound blaster live you got there. With the CAS 2.0 RAM you can aggressively time the RAM and the settings are built into the bios which is super cool. The network adapter is built into the mobo as well. Another part you will not need. And with an AMD Athlon XP 2600, you will get the 333 fsb which is really good and the price is about the same as the Intel you are getting and the performance will be much better. It is around 270, about 40 bucks more.

Now about the video card. 3dmark test is such the wrong way to go about deciding on the card. Your best bet is to consider future games coming about the current benchmarks provided by myself and the other thread about AA and AF and the screens showing the difference. Higher resolutions make those Image Quality issues more apparent. The ti4200 is an ok card right now. In 6 months to a year it will be way outdated like a GF2 is now and you will wish you at least got a 9500pro or better or waited to see what the Geforce FX did. prices of all the other cards will go down.

but your call. good luck buddy

Ok i thought i might have a system built. It was all coming together. But then ZD comes in with his two cents.

Couple things, I can't find RAM with PC2700 and a CL=2.0

Does is exists?? Also if i don't get a CL=2.0 my computer will still turn on and run right. If you could find me compatable to my system that would help.

Right now i'm getting upward to the 900 dollar mark i was hoping to keep it around 800 dollars so pennies count right now. It's frugal but, everyone is always looking for a good deal. The the athlon chip i'm looking at another 60 bucks with CPU and MOBO. The 9500 pro is a bit out of my price range right now, i'm gonna save the 80 bucks and spend it in about 6 months when prices for the higher rated cards come down in price. Thanks for your input.

One of my main concerns is just keeping everything compatiable right now.

As soon as start changing things around then it becomes a puzzle again.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

The RAM doesn't matter at all. I just say 2.0 CAS for the timing abilities. But i think you are good where you are now. Good job whichever way you go.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

Crucial.com is where i only buy my RAM. RAM is important to me and it has to be the best. Sorry, but generic stuff sucks.

• 4 weeks later...

This comp is awesome....

I bit loud but, i have 5-6 fans running in the dang thing.

Let me know if i can help you out with anything...

aim: MmmmMagruter

Some of the best money that i've spent, haven't had one problem..... Yet. ;)

Mag,

Did you get adjustable speed fans? I did and turn them all down to a slow speed which has almost no effect on the temperature, and it's nice and quiet.

If it's a problem, consider replacing some of yours with adjustable, about $7 each. You could even unplug a few case fans and see if there is any change, just be careful.