quake 4

simkiller

Actually, not too keen on Quake 4, but if anyone has feedback on how F.E.A.R. runs in the final release I'd like to know. I enjoyed the demo considerably but it was a bit choppy at times.

Serious Sam II, loved the first one on co-op, loved the demo and will more than likely be getting it.

The above assumes that my life doesn't disappear completely when Civ IV lands on my doorstep.

Edited by Leveller

It's out. I have no clue what it's actually like, but I'm sure it's great like all the others were. Now I have three games I'm have to get when we go shopping this weekend. Serious Sam 2, FEAR, and Quake 4.

Serious Sam 2 is a very fun game. Make sure you got a LAN game going on because this one internet server I was on was really buggy. It's Coop only so that's a letdown because the game has ALOT of potentional to be an awesome deathmatch game.

Sorry to stray off topic there.

I picked up Serious Sam II. It's A lot of fun & although it can be a little

dumb at some points, the story is quite funny. Accuracy is not as required

in this game as in CSS. As a result I found myself sucking even worse

after playing SSII! I did'nt think that was possible!

Imagine Doom3, with more bad guys that die much easier then IMPs. I haven't played Quake 1 or 2 since they came out so i really can't do a direct comparison. I haven't beaten it yet. Sometimes it just gets kind of boring (might be becuase i started it right after beating FEAR) , I think its a bit longer than FEAR. FEAR took me three days to beat playing a few hours a day but i have been playing Quake 4 for much longer and i'm not done yet. I don't know how close the end is either.

The graphics are very nice and run suprisingly nice. My X800 was struggling with FEAR at times but it runs Quake 4 jamazing. If you have an ATI card their next drivers are supposed to increase performance with OpenGL a whole lot. So thats something to look forward.

Gameplay is just what you would expect. Most of it is running around and killing Strogg. Fat ones, skinny ones, big ones, they are all in there! Theres also vehicle sections. You can drive a Mech, a Tank, you can man a machine gun on a tram car and a convoy truck, not sure if theres more.

FEAR performance is slightly better then the demo i'd say. I didn't load up the game and thing "Wow, this runs MUCH better than the demo!", so its not a large imporvement that i noticed. But on On The Spot one of the FEAR guys said the final code was much more optimized than the demo code. They still have the annoying pauses when you go around corners (if you had that problem with the demo) but if you turn down the textures its a temporary fix until they release a patch to fix it.

Sim, I'll be picking it up tonight to see how it runs on my machine. I just put together a monster: A64 4000+, X800XL 256MB, and a raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM drive. If it runs like Doom III, this machine will easily max it out.

Most of it is running around and killing Strogg. Fat ones, skinny ones, big ones

Even ones with chicken pox?

I picked up Quake 4 a few hours ago.. can't wait to get home and install it...

Has anybody played it online??? I've heard many negative reviews about the online game play...

I bought Q4 last night, and think it's fine for single player action. There's a lot of extras (namely conversations) that I've seen in the first few levels. Neat stuff.

Two complaints:

1. enabling shadows locks up the game after 2-3 minutes of gameplay. Maybe an X800XL-specific problem.

2. TOO many hitscan weapons. The machinegun (that the player gets in the first level) can zoom in and become a sniper rifle, so I've been owning bad guys before they even get close.

• 3 weeks later...

My old q3 buds picked it up and want me too as well. The ratings Im hearing is.....

Single: is good. Nuttin special

MP: If you liked Q3a, you'll L O V E Q4... like q3a on steroids with better graphics. Even the play style is similar.

If you werent a fast hopping Q3A lover, youll find it boring I hear.