upgrade?

wayfarer

(edited)
this is really old news.  it's been on roadmaps since last spring.

nofx, what does your post have anything to do with the topic???

you said it

this is really old news.  it's been on roadmaps since last spring.

Socket 940 CPU's have been around for a long time, they will be getting rid of the 939 and putting the 940 into the mainstream so people who can afford it, will be have a 4 core system at roughly the same cost as two x2 3800+ processors.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

nofx, it's not the same socket 940. it's a completely different pin layout. stop feeding people mis-information.

the new m2 is a 940pin socket that will support all amd desktop cpus. much like the old socket A. budget to mainstream to high end will be supported. m2 also brings ddr2 to amd.

the topic is about the phasing out of s939. you posted a link to some opteron cpu and said something about multicores. why?

edit - i just clicked the "more at digitimes" link and it says everything i just said...

Edited by Cujo

(edited)

batman, i believe you're referring to the asrock with 754 and 939 on the same board. that one doesn't have pcie. the one with pcie and agp is only s939. can you link to one with 939 and 940? it's not on their website.

preacher, i'm not sure i get it. :unsure:

Edited by Cujo

lol. so what if they are being phased out?

you wont see anyhting for a few months, and then it still hast to work it's way into the market.

That's like saying the 746 socket was phased out for the 939 / 940.

it's true, but it took a while for it to happen.

Here Cujo, that ASrock mobo does have a socket 939 and a M5 socket.. Here is the writeup for it... Dont slap me.. :)

ASrock 939Dual-Sata2

The fact that ASRock was able to nicely resolve the space problem is somewhat surprising in view of the numerous components that the board provides. In addition to the slots for x16 PCI Express and AGP, ASRock offers a x1 PCIe slot for future expansion cards, as well as three PCI slots for normal 32-bit cards. In addition, located in the middle of the board is an extra AGP-like slot that can hold a processor expansion card. This is intended to let the board implement future AMD processors without any major effort. In order to manage that, the phalanx of jumpers right next to the slot has to be activated; we could not test the slot, however, due to the lack of an expansion card. According to the user manual, there will be a model available for future AMD processors on Socket M2.

(edited)

oh yea. i forgot i read that back when it was posted. it just slipped my mind cause i never thought much of the board when i read that. it mounts sideways on a riser card. i'm interested in the stability and compatibility (with heatsinks) of that solution. guess we'll see when it's released. a friend of mine just bought that board on my recommendation. hopefully it works out well for him.

when i checked the website i was lookin at pics to see boards with more than one socket. lol.

Edited by Cujo

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
wow nofx, what did you do to cujo? your post had him pretty peeved!

We techs have to deal with people tinkled off because they get fed misinformation all the time by those who claim to be techs but really are not. Just frustration on Cujo's part, I am sure.

I get people saying FireFox is more prone to Spyware and idiot comments like that all the time.

wow nofx, what did you do to cujo? your post had him pretty peeved!

I guess my ignorance in the field of AMD CPU sockets upsets some people.

Im not a journalist for extremetech. I have alot of hardware experience and thought I would share my input. But thank you for correcting me.

I assumed a socket 940 CPU was a 940 CPU.

I was thinking they were going mainstream with the 940, which would allow multi-processors with dual cores to be more reasonably priced.