How much is too much?

General J

Let me begin this rant by saying that I can be super cheap. But, I have to be. I am 20, married, welcoming a son to the world soon, and buying a house. I forgot to mention that I don't like nibbling.... I apparently like to bite off just about as much as I can chew. :D I recently received a promotion at work, and switched back to night shift (7 pm - 4:30 a.m. for you lucky 9-5ers). So my income is pretty good at this point. Things are tight. But at the end of the month, we end up ahead, somehow.

Now the point of this rant, for whoever reads this far, is about the cost of entertainment. Not the "stick a $20 in the nice ladies undergarments" entertainment, but good old family entertainment. 5 adults went to the movie the other night (one of us was only 14, but didn't have a student ID on them).

Tickets to movie = $8.50 X 5 = $42.50

1 Medium soda, 2 Large sodas, and a Large popcorn = ~$22.50

For those non-math types, that brings a grand total of about $65 for 2 hours worth of entertainment. Luckily, everyone was fairily entertained with the movie. For that price, you can't afford to make the mistake of choosing a bad movie.

Movie rentals are slightly better. But by the time a movie is available to rent, everyone and their grandmother has told you about every funny/cool/scary moment. The sad thing is, this does not only apply to movies.

Any experienced parents on a budget have some insight into affordable entertainment? Luckily, St. Louis has a lot of free places to go such as their zoo, science center, art museum. Without those, I think my parents would have gone broke!

I go the local rental place and get buy 2 get 2 previously viewed dvd's about once a month. Before that my wife's brother worked at the theaters in town, so we got in for free and also got a small popcorn and soda for free. Man those were great days!! Till the little #$#@% had to run off to college... ..Now i'm stuck watching alfi on dvd!! :bang::bang:

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
Let me begin this rant by saying that I can be super cheap.  But, I have to be.  I am 20, married, welcoming a son to the world soon, and buying a house.  I forgot to mention that I don't like nibbling....  I apparently like to bite off just about as much as I can chew.  :D  I recently received a promotion at work, and switched back to night shift (7 pm - 4:30 a.m. for you lucky 9-5ers).  So my income is pretty good at this point.  Things are tight.  But at the end of the month, we end up ahead, somehow. 

Now the point of this rant, for whoever reads this far, is about the cost of entertainment.  Not the "stick a $20 in the nice ladies undergarments" entertainment, but good old family entertainment.  5 adults went to the movie the other night (one of us was only 14, but didn't have a student ID on them).

Tickets to movie = $8.50 X 5 = $42.50

1 Medium soda, 2 Large sodas, and a Large popcorn = ~$22.50

For those non-math types, that brings a grand total of about $65 for 2 hours worth of entertainment.  Luckily, everyone was fairily entertained with the movie.  For that price, you can't afford to make the mistake of choosing a bad movie.

Movie rentals are slightly better.  But by the time a movie is available to rent, everyone and their grandmother has told you about every funny/cool/scary moment.  The sad thing is, this does not only apply to movies. 

Any experienced parents on a budget have some insight into affordable entertainment?  Luckily, St. Louis has a lot of free places to go such as their zoo, science center, art museum.  Without those, I think my parents would have gone broke!

i'm not really a family man but $65 for 2 hours of entertainment is a bit excessive. you are better off just getting a netflix account or doing ahem, you know what. if you're generalising it into raw amount of hours worth of entertainment, you can't beat video games. teach the wife, kids how to play CS or whatever other games you got and you'll have countless hours worth of entertainment. for a $50 investment, you'll get years worth of entertainment and that can't be beat by the greedy movie and theater execs.

on the other hand, if you wanna get out of the house, you can't beat the great outdoors. it's free....(not counting gas of course)

imo, if i were you i would just stop going to the theater period. if you look at it logically, you're paying double, maybe even triple what the food AND the movie costs in a theater. you already have food in the fridge, and a netflix account is pretty darn cheap relative to the amount of movies you can rent from them. i also would not be too worried about other people spoiling a movie for you. even if someone tells you what is gonna happen, it doesn't replace the other 59 or so odd minutes of film that you don't know anything about.

Edited by ash-

• 3 months later...

You know you can carry your own food into theatres now, don't you? There was a lawsuit about it a few years ago and they don't have rules about it any more. I am in college and me and friends have just blatantly carried fast food into theatres a few times. If you just pay for the tickets it isn't that bad, especially if you goto a matinee.

• 1 month later...

illegally download movies until the price drops

if universal or someone wants to spend 100000million dollars on a movie, and move that cost to the consumer

teach them it isnt right

illegally download movies until the price drops

if universal or someone wants to spend 100000million dollars on a movie, and move that cost to the consumer

teach them it isnt right

That right there is one of the best points of any view ive ever heard. Congrats, now im out of cookies but im sure you have milk in the fridge.

Um... They charge too much so you decide to break the law?

A better solution would be to abstain from movies altogether.

I'm not throwing stones, I actually downloaded one once :( Couldn't handle the guilt and never did it again. I am just pointing out the great leap of logic that takes.

Um... They charge too much so you decide to break the law?

A better solution would be to abstain from movies altogether.

I'm not throwing stones, I actually downloaded one once :( Couldn't handle the guilt and never did it again. I am just pointing out the great leap of logic that takes.

i prolly should just abstain but its just to easy to download