Computer fried? Help me!

ConGregation

Sunday morning before I got up my kids were playing the computer when my daughter smelled something. (I was still sleeping because I had stayed up to an ungodly hour playing Civ4). Well when I got to it my computer would do nothing.

After testing I determine the PS is toast. So I order a new one and wait. Hoping everything else is ok. Well, it isn't.

When I boot up I get the motherboard screen. The one displaying its brand but it never does a memory check or allows me access to the MB settings (forgot the name). So I swap out some RAM and determine it is not the problem. So I am down to the motherboard or CPU. I would tend think maybe the CPU since it would need that to go any further, right? Although it COULD be the motherboard. I really don't want to swap out the CPU's (kids comp has same one) cause its a pain and I don't have any of that goop stuff you need (again, memory is taking a nap right now).

First any thoughts on what it could be? Maybe a tip I didn't think of (I DID try clearing CMOS just to be sure).

Secondly, if it is kaput, what do I buy. The chip I had in there is a barton 2500+ (I think) and my memory is 1 gig of 333. I would probably want to reuse the memory since I am not a little rich college kid.

Help! :)

my guess is your motherboard.

Test it out with your kids CPU.. I was playing around with my comp a few years ago and it it would only get to the same screen as yours and it turned out my motherboard was shot. I had an A7N8X and a 2500+

still on a budget, you want an Asrock mobo with AGP, so you dont need a new video card and a AMD64 3000+.

check out the thread that soul started.

Edited by NOFX

you can get a decent sempron 64 system for around $120 or less if you shop around here is what I came up with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813186068

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819104251

Mind you I didn't do any real shopping around, you might want to check tigerdirect. They often have bundle deals that may be more to your liking.

Edit: Checked TD:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7361&CatId=1619

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7521&CatId=1181

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...5713&CatId=1599

These are listed in best to worst order but all would be fine if your current agp card and ram are good quality. Also I would note the mail in rebates.

Edited by Preacher

Honestly, Con, before you do any of that stuff, take everything apart including CPU, RAM cards and drives, and put it back together.

Start with putting just the RAM and the CPU back in, and see if it beeps three times, to tell you that you need a video card. (make sure the case speaker is plugged in. If not, take everything out, put it back in, but change the channel the RAM is in.

Sometimes, it's just happier, afterward.

And if there was a break in the circuit on the motherboard/et cetera, you'd know. You wouldn't be getting anything at all. My friend actually just blew his RAM DIMM1 out of his ancient motherboard. Had three people look at it and nothing, I swapped the RAM into another channel and it worked.

...if you do all of this (probably only take an hour or so), and it still doesn't work, then you can do some hardcore troubleshooting, or replace the system.

^^ Agree, instaed of taking everythign out then putting it all back in just to ping out you have to take everything out again. clear yourself a nice work area, and set down some cardboard and some anti-static bags. when you remove each part, put it on the A.S bags and then reassable it on your desk. This way when you find out that your CPU is dead, you dont have to take everything out again and put it back in. That is what I usually do, if I think somthing major is wrong. Hey you never know a piece of wire or somthign could have misteriously appeard in on the back of you tower..

(Hey it could happen, i think.. darn wire fairy)

Thanks for the replies...

Norgaurd, I tried swapping out working parts for the RAM. The only thing it could be is the CPU or motherboard, or both. Just the way it went down would make me pretty certain something is amiss.

Personally I would assume the CPU. First of all, the 'smell' filled the house. Obiously a burning smell. Now I don't know why a failed Power Supply would cause the CPU to keep working but the fan which would be the Motherboard would stop. Don't make sense to me.

If I were to swap out the CPU, I would need some more of that stuff to seat it to the heatsink, right?

Maybe I'm actually a mute...

I keep saying I have tried that on everything except the CPU. Or at least I think I have been saying it :huh:

Is that stuff called silvidene? Um... I think thats a burn lotion... Anyway, I would need more of the heatsink lotion (sad, i know) to swap out the CPU, right?

I am about ready to just cannabilize the kids computer and tell them to go play outside... all winter...

O, and thanks for the links, preacher. I always appreciate someone taking the time for those.

Normally I would just say forget it and use this as an excuse to upgrade. Compared to most systems today I am well behind the pace. But just want to make sure.

Ok, even if it was the motherboard, would I want to buy another one and put an old chip in it. (by old I mean slow). How compatible are they anyway... IE, will a MB that runs a AMD 64 3000+ also run a sempron 2500+?

And if it was the chip would I just want to get a new MB as well and not waste the money on an old CPU?

Ok, I'm feeling pretty good about just buying new stuff. But I will lose at least 75% of that feeling after a discussion with my wife :(

;)

Con, I think you should reseat the CPU anyway, and put the RAM in a different socket. It sounds dumb, but dumber things have actually worked. It was my friend's RAM socket that blew up. It stunk just as much as any component, and was blown through the house by the case fans. Of course, I couldn't smell where it was coming from once I got to it, because all of the smoke was gone. Another PC wouldn't boot after being picked up and moved 5 feet... ...I reseatted the CPU and it worked like a dream.

You won't need any new thermal paste. There will be paste on the heatsink/smudged on the processor when you take it off.

A 2500+ won't run an AMD64 3000+. Generally speaking, 2500+ are Socket A. AMD64 chips are either Socket 754 or Socket 939. They're three different standards. No matter what they say about phasing products, you can still find Athlon XPs, or now, AMD Sempron processors.

If you buy a CPU, buy a new one in a box - it'll come with a new heatsink/fan, and the heatsink/fan will already have thermal paste in a patch on the bottom of it. ...you really don't need more than is supplied unless you overclock, or you have a seriously beefy processor.

...The good news you can take to your wife is that if you do have to buy a new processor, and you want to buy a new motherboard, buying a socket 754 motherboard, and a S754 AMD64 3000+ or a 3200+ is really reasonable.

Edited by Norguard

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Rev, check a few things.

First, get a good flashlight and take a look at all of your capacitors. Are any bubling or leaking? If so, then your mobo may be on its last legs, especially after a PSU fry. Usually the PSU will surge as it is dying and takes out the voltage reg on the mobo and often times damaging your capacitors in the process.

If this is not it.. try unplugging the power and popping the mobo battery for about 10-15 mins. Sometimes that will do it too.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Well Rev, this will give you a little bit of upgradability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813157081

You will need to buy a new cpu too though so keep that in mind. Your current AGP card will be good until you decide to upgrade it to PCI-e.

Yell at me if you have any questions.

My phone should still be in the LA forums if you have access.

Edited by zerodamage

Cool. So I could upgrade to PCI-E when the need arises.

That would kind of solve a problem. I usually upgrade CPU/MB/RAM one year and video card the next. Doing it that way means I could never switch over to PCI-E.

um... looking at it I have one question, will my memory work (DDR333). It says on its websit "- 4 x DIMM slots, support DDR 400".

Ok, even if it was the motherboard, would I want to buy another one and put an old chip in it. (by old I mean slow). How compatible are they anyway... IE, will a MB that runs a AMD 64 3000+ also run a sempron 2500+?

The 1rst newegg and 2nd Tiger Direct link there will run the Sempron 64 2500+ all the way up to an Athlon 64 3700, so upgrade options are there - the limiting factor will be the agp card because you won't be able to move on to the new technology without a new motherboard, CPU and vid cards.

Edited by Preacher

Con, the board has four RAM slots, and will accept RAM speeds up to DDR400 (aka PC3200), so your DDR333 (PC2700) is just fine.

As well, 3.0V AGP cards were the standard for AGP1.0 We're in AGP3.0 with our 8x cards. AGP4x motherboards had to support the old 3.0V cards as well. But unless you have got an ancient VooDoo III that you're dying to hook up to this motherboard, your card will carry over, no problems.

Hope that quells any confusion.

A cookie for NOFX!

Also a cookie for ZD who gave me a link <glances askew at NOFX>

Ok, now I have to match up a CPU. Things are so much more complicated nowadays. Use to be you either got an AMD or Intel. A Pentium or an athlon.

Ok, so which variation do I want? Sheesh, they make these things with 1000mgz FSB? I need to keep up on such stuff. Now I don't need that much cause my RAM will limit my FSB, right?

Ok newegg has this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...819103537#Combo

1000mgz FSB $135 -free shipping

Tiger direct has this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...1-A64-30009%20E

2000mgz FSB $139 +shipping

By the name they look totally the same. Ok, so would the higher FSB help me at all? I wouldn't think so since my RAM is 2700. right?

Anyway, laid the law down to my wife and am going to order something up! I told here the leaking tub can wait. the computer is MUCH more important!