My new Trans am

Sgt. Spuds

Well, as I am turning 16 very soon, Ive decided I need a horribly over powerd rear wheel drive stick shift automobile. lol, I decided on a F-body ( been a f-body lover at heart for life!! ) I was mainly looking at camaro's, years 1982-2002, ( third generation and forth ) But I was also looking at trans ams of the same year. Well I found my baby. Its a 1996, white on tan leather, six speed, lt1 powerd trans am. Shes legaly my step dads as of now, hes picking me and my father up tomorrow at 9 to go up to my step dads brothers house ( two hours away ) and pick it up. Im gonna drive it back, get a feel for it, then once we get it home, clean her up as good as I can * too cold to wax though * and take some 'bad butt' pictures of myself with it! Wish me luck!

( ps I'm not a idiot, I have a 4.5GPA on a 4 scale, All my teachers love me, as do all the adults I meet IRL, I am not going to go out and screw around and kill myself in this car. Its gonna be my baby for years to come, never gonna sell it! )

WAM BAM

TRANS AM * wow, that was corny lol

TA1.jpg

TA2.jpg

TA3.jpg

TA4.jpg

TA5.jpg

Picked it up today. Its in decent condition for a 96. They removed the door molding for some reason, and left sticky tape residue on it, maybe they repainted the other side and didnt replace the door trim on it and decided just to take the other side off. So I need to buff that. The head liners toasted, the area in the middle of the t-tops ( center piller ) is fried from too much sun. The stock systems good enough for me, so I just need to find a stock CD player head unit for it. The window motors are a little slow, and the switch doesnt work on the passanger side, but thats all small stuff. The car rides nice, clutch doesnt slip, stays in gear, and the steering is tight, oh yea, its got some balls. Its got bbk headers and a 3 inch cat back through a flowmaster muffler * sux, but I have a full borla system that sounds superior to this one * its got a cackel when deaccelerating. the rear end makes no noise at all. My dad was getting worried about me beating it, So i showd him these things you can get online that you plug into your diagnostic port and it keeps a log of all hard accels, hard brakeing, and speed TOO COOL! now I can honestly baby a car and my parents know that I am babing it! Im pumped, going to get it liscensed and all tomorr

Wow, I was out side cleaning it today, and the old lady across the street said

"Hey, is that yours!!!!"

"yup, sure is, like it?"

"Oh I love it, I hope it sounds as good as donnies!!" * thats my dad, hes had camaros and vettes galor.

"Wanna here it?"

"YEA!"

*vulp vulp bulp VROOM gurgle gurgle gurgle gurgle *

" wow, thats scary, I love it, wait a second, is it a stick? "

I toggle the shifter around in neutral

"yup"

"wow, you think they would have away to get automatic's in these cars"

I just chuckled and said "they do, but I chose the six speed"

"why?"

"Well, for one, its faster, if only slightly, two, it sounds better, three, I love knowing I own a car that prolly 50% of the country cant drive"

"well that certainly sounds like a good reason!, its beautifull, ah, I love white cars, 'specialy when they are clean!"

Now i knew the car would be a chick magnet, but a grandma magnet? lol

LOL, yes its got a 346lt1 small block. Its pretty heavy, right around 3000lbs. With some Subframe connectors, and a strut tower brace it handles like a dream. It doesnt ride nice, but its not supposed to, this is a sports car, not a wimp mobile. Oh yea, with the current set up, I can burn threw third and chirp forth lol.

raced her for the first time today...

I was rolling on the express way at about 65, 1500rpm's in fifth gear. Some stupid ricer in a honda with v-tec on the side. He reved at me *farrrrrrt* so i looked over at him with disgust. he beeped his horn, once, i sit up, twice, i grip the shifter and begin my down shift to third. three beeps, im off, Im doing 100 almost instantly, can barely breath, 110, I look back, hes gone, long gone lol.

This cars scary fast. IDK if i mentioned it, but its got a head/cam set up and a full exhaust system.

Nice looking ride. TA's are pretty quick. White is actually an easier color to keep clean believe it or not. As long as you aren't going mudding in that thing. := Dirt and grime doesn't show up as badly as, say, on a black car or dark color. Scratches don't show up as noticeably either. As with any car, you will have to wash it very regularly to keep her shining. Have fun with her as long as you can! My truck has gone by the wayside since that little thing called "starting a family" happened. :D

As far as my personal opinion on the pontiac situation. I would never own one. Maybe a WS6, but nothing less. Fit and finish on anything lower (body lines, door lines, hatch/trunk, hood) is a disgrace. TA's aren't as bad, but don't get me started on the Firebirds...

That being said, drive that car like it was meant to be driven. It is a speed machine. But at 16 years old, with a newly acquired license, I question how much experience you have with getting yourself out of sticky driving situations. I had a buddy who wrecked his automatic v-6 firebird after sliding a slightly wet corner. We had been driving together for a few years, and had done similar antics with ease for a long while. He just over compensated and lost the back end completely. Don't let that be you! With the manual, once you master it, you will have 100x the control over the car that you would with a computer making shifting decisions. Just be careful out there!

PS: Don't get too cocky about displacement! HP/weight ratio is what it's all about! ;)

Edited by General J

ummm  i plan on getting a 2000 civic si coupe and putting a b18c itr engine in  that should be a good race  210 hp vs 285 hp  but i weigh like 2 pound vs you lol  my friend has mid 90s hatch put the same engine in  beat a camaro ss 6 sp

AHAHAHAHAH Come try me buddy.... Any day

The guy I bought it off of said it dyno'd over 350RWHP with the Heads/Cam, Exhaust, and tune. That seems right on que with seat of the pants, I drove a guys 02SS with a proven 375 RWHP off the juice, and it was only slightly faster than my car, seat of the pants.

As far as fit/finish, its perfect on this car, and I dont understand you statment on the ws6. The ws6 is built by GM as a pontiac transam. then it is shiped to SLP, street legal performance, and then they add the suspeinson goodies, and the power adders.. Also the body parts. SS's are modified z28's. The fit and finish on a ws6 is exactly as it would be on a transam. IVe heard bad things about the birds though, dont know why...

But honestly, who buys a car like this for fit and finish? Finish? maybe, fit? ah who cares as long as its FAST! As soon as I get my 12 bolt or 9 inch rear end, Im going on the juice, prolly a NEX 125 shot, wet Then :

Underdrive pullys

Electric Water pump

!Air pump

!egr

new vented opti-spark

lt4 intake/matched TB

re-work lower end

new head/cam package, boost friendly

Then oh yea baby, FI, Either a ATI, Procharger, or a STS rear mounted turbo. Im aiming ofr well over 500RWHP. As of now, Im just a happy kid with too much car lol.

O btw, short shifter+hurrying to school this morning= First to second, whoops! back into first! lol, good thing I was fast back into the clutch.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a SUPER clean lookin mid-90s T/A. Looks like a LOT of fun too, nice car!!! It really looks pretty :) I like those hood scoop cut-outs too, never noticed those before...

I got to drive a new SS 6-spd a couple of years ago and I was going just over 140 before I knew it...SCARY fast... SUPER DUPER FUN!!!! :D

Oh, and beware those geeky little guys in their tuner cars. About 99% of them are fakes and dorks, but if it is done right, those old Civic hatchbacks are UNREAL FAST.

I watched a vid once of a guy (Cheezefrog) in his stock looking Civic coupe beat a guy in a MODDED Viper that sounded SUPER DUPER mean. The only thing louder than the viper was the scream of the civic's turbo ;)

• 4 weeks later...