*Quick Question*

gen8787

Hey guys-

I've got a quick question. What is the normal temperature for a CPU to run at, and what is too high of a temperature? Also what are normal temps for the case and high temps for the case. I was O/C a little bit and wasnt sure what an alarming temp would be? Thanks! See ya in a few months!

Hey guys-

I've got a quick question. What is the normal temperature for a CPU to run at, and what is too high of a temperature? Also what are normal temps for the case and high temps for the case. I was O/C a little bit and wasnt sure what an alarming temp would be? Thanks! See ya in a few months!

Kinda depends on whether you have a Pentium or an Athlon. However, there are a few good rules of thumb. Anything in the 30-40's celcius is fine. When you get into the 50's watch out, and 60 is right out. AMD lists somewhere around 65 degrees celcius as the core meltdown point for their athlons. I'm not sure what the max tamps for Pent's are since I haven't had one for many years.

Case temps normally seem to run 10 degrees cooler than CPU's while the mobo socket is normally within a few degrees celcuis of the cpu.

I'm assuming you have replaced the stock hsf when you started oc'ing right? If not, you either need to replace it with something beefier, preferably a copper core if not full copper heatsink and a bigger fan, or put it back to stock speeds.

Case temps affect everything else, so you wanna make sure you have good airflow.

Hope this helps ya. :peace:

Wolfsblood.

Edited by Wolfsblood

i haven't seen a p4 that runs below 50c without water cooling. prescott that is.

it's really hard to answer the topic question as you've given us NO information.

btw, "cya in a few months"?? ummm....

• 5 weeks later...

My Celeron D 2.6 runs ~32 with the system idling, ~38 when I'm surfing, doing random stuff, and ~46 while playing CS:S. When I OC it to 3.1Ghz the temp runs ~49, it hit 50 once for about 10 seconds, lol(In CS:S).

I have a P4GE-MX mobo, and 6600GT Vid card if it matters. It's all in an antec sonata case too, so there's lots of airflow.

Oh, and I am running stock cooling all around.

-George :freak3:

He spent it all on his PC lol

With my PC on silent running it runs about 36 cpu - 28 -MB under load. If I crank up my CPU fan and exaust fans I can get it down around VooDoo, but it sounds like an aircraft turbine running on my desk lol.

I moved into a new room during the summer. Its the furthest room in the house from the furnace so it's the coldest room in the house. Too make it somewhat warm in my room the rest of the house has to be around 75 degrees.

I must have been thinking crazy during the end of summer. I actually had the idea of putting my computer in the window during winter and plugging it into the plug right next to the window. That idea never went far.