iPOD v. Palm Pilot

duma

So, long story short, my wife and I exchanged our gifts tonight. I was expecting an iPOD because... well... that is about the only thing I wanted. As it turns out, she bought me the new Palm Pilot. So, this thing costs about $400.... and I really don't think I need it.

Her thought was that it does play music, it connects to the Internet, and I can use it for class material (and future job stuff too). My feeling is that I have a laptop, and I use a daily planner. I can have the iPOD for half the price, and keep my easy to open daily planner.

Now, the thing is, she was very excited to give it to me. So, I haven't stated that I am not sure I want it. This also lends to another problem, the cd that you use to make it talk with your pc is corrupt. I have to take it back. So, do I just say I don't need it, or just keep it to save grace. I guess it is possible that I might actually need this thing, but I really doubt it. Any thoughts?

I tried the daily planner route once about 2 years ago. Packed the Palm up and gave it a go. Stuck with it for 6 months, even when not liking it. Came to the realization that nothing to me is more convenient than the Palm. Schedule, contacts, games, music, and docs all in one neat little machine.

same here but I have a blackberry....didnt think Id need at the time but after a very short period I became dependant on it...and now...heh dont even try to take it away from me.

but like most things....get out of it what you put into it...

plus, you can't really get an iPod for "half the price".

If you purchase the 30gb one it's going to run you around $320 after tax without accessories...if you get a nano...well...my opinion is to stick with the palm as well.

unless you REALLY REALLY don't think you'll use it.

Well, ok. None of us can make that decision for you, but perhaps some more information can help. If it's an actual "Palm" handheld, you can download the software (Hotsync Manager) from palm.com. If it's another PDA, then check the site to see if you can get the software (like ActiveSync for Dell PDA's).

Here's what the palm pilot can do:

-keep track of events (anniversaries, parties, birthdays, etc)

-keep phone numbers

-make a ToDo list (I rarely use this)

-play games (lots of fun ones out there... two of my favorites are "Atomic Cannon" which is like Scorched Earth, and Sudoku, a puzzle game)

-play music (capacity is limited to the amount of memory on the card. 1gig? 2? 8gig? I think 8 gigs is the max for a memory card these days)

-GPS (the reason I bought mine). Navigation is HUGE for me, especially after moving to a new area

Here's what the palm pilot can't do that an iPod can:

-store more music

-fit in a pocket easily

-have a cool scrolly wheel type thing

Feel free to add to these lists, people. I hope this helps, duma!

I called the place and had them send me a new cd. You can't download this off of the website yet. Apparantly the "TX" is too new for it. I also found out that the palm needs a "b" band. So, I put my wireless to mixed field. Now the little guy connects to everything on the web.

I can't say much about using it between the pc and itself (shairing files and such), but it is nice to keep track of the football scores. :)

I also feel better a bit better because it will play music... so even if I don't use it for the rest of the stuff, at least it is an iPOD that goes online. BTW, I have a 1 gig card (and the 125 one it came with).

Anyway, thanks everyone. I feel allot better now. Perhaps I will grow to love it too.

Yeah, I like everyone's take on the technology standpoint. Of course, I know the biggest concern on your mind was your wife's feelings, and with good reason. I gotta say, in the big picture, it's a relatively small issue, and if you're the kind of person who, whether or not you get used to the organizer, can still appreciate the thought behind it, I'd say it's definitely worth giving it a go and seeing if you like it.

If you can honestly look in the mirror and say that this is going to bother you, though, you might want to consider the straightforward route: It's better to put it on the table now than carry resentment around. However, like I said, it seems that it might sting a bunch now but in the big picture it's a pretty small issue. This is also a course of action to consider if that's just too much money to spend, but that's based on y'alls finances. Also, I'd hit eBay and check on the used iPod prices, but I'm a cheapskate :)

If I might stick my nose in even further where it doesn't blong (B-Long!), communication! I'm one of those analytical people, so I would immediately think what broke down in our communications. Maybe I hadn't really expressed my wants, or some such thing. Anyway, like I said I don't belong here so I will leave, but communication can be a mitigating factor in the future.

Enjoy your palm! The music playback sounds pretty darn good from those things, and with 1GB SD cards coming down in price you should have plenty of music to choose from.

• 3 weeks later...

After using this thing for a while, buying a 2 gig card, adding lots of music files, I am very happy that she got me this instead of the iPOD. I take the Palm with me everywhere, and it has helped me more than I thought it could. So... thanks for all of those you convinced me to keep it.

If I might stick my nose in even further where it doesn't blong (B-Long!), communication!  I'm one of those analytical people, so I would immediately think what broke down in our communications.  Maybe I hadn't really expressed my wants, or some such thing.  Anyway, like I said I don't belong here so I will leave, but communication can be a mitigating factor in the future.

Sorry, I missed your post. We communicate very well... as we should since we have been "together" for over 10 years. However, I told her I wanted something to listen to music on. She did that, but added a few features. I wasn't specific, and she was more than happy to buy something she felt would do that, and so much more. Either way, I kep it, and now I really like this thing. What can I say, she knows me too well sometimes - to a point that she knows I need something when i don't think I do.

I decided to go with a pda over an Ipod for the following reasons.

1. Falling prices of SD cards and flash memory.

2. WiFi access

3. It plays whatever movies media and what not I can throw at it, it's a VGA screen so it's waay better looking than the video ipod.

4. It was a little cheaper than a video ipod

5. I can use skype on it free VOIP

I bought a dell axim X30i which I then sold and bought an X50v which I love. Video today looks sharp, sound even through the speakers sounds full and rich when I hook it to my sennheisers it sounds incredible.

I've got a 1gig flash card for it and 2 1 gig SD chips. I haven't ran out of storage yet. I re-encode all my video using pocketdivxencoder which is super fast and can usually drop a movie down to about 70mb with minimal quality loss (because the screens alot smaller than a tv)

MemoryInstalled RAM 64 MB

RAM technology SDRAM

Installed ROM 128 MB Flash

ProcessorProcessor Intel 624 MHzXscale

AudioDigital audio standards supported MP3, WMA

Audio input type Microphone

Audio output type Speaker(s)

Voice recording capability Yes

TelecomModem None

DisplayDisplay type 3.7 in TFT active matrix

Color support 16-bit (64K colors)

Max resolution 480 x 640

Expansion / ConnectivityWireless connectivity IrDA, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b

Expansion slot(s) total (free) 1 SD Memory Card, 1 CompactFlash Card Type II

PowerBattery installed ( max ) 1 Lithium ion

Power supply device Power adapter

Power device frequency required 50/60 Hz

Environmental ParametersOperating humidity range 10 - 90%

GPSGPS System / GPS Navigation None

WarrantyService & support type 1 year warranty

Service / Support Details 1 year Limited warranty Replacement

We communicate very well... as we should since we have been "together" for over 10 years. However, I told her I wanted something to listen to music on. She did that, but added a few features. I wasn't specific, and she was more than happy to buy something she felt would do that, and so much more. Either way, I kep it, and now I really like this thing. What can I say, she knows me too well sometimes - to a point that she knows I need something when i don't think I do.

Hehe, I didn't mean to imply that y'all couldn't communicate, of course, just being my normal prying self :) Glad to hear that she's a mind-reader and clairvoyant as well, those are the best women. Keeper! Glad to hear you like your new Palm, and I'll make another neat suggestion for you: PocketRSS. If you're into RSS Feeds at all, it's a great reader for the pocket PC and iirc there's a version for the Palm platform (I could certainly be wrong, though). If you're not into RSS feeds, you may become a fan. All you do is sync your Palm and it brings your websites (news, etc.) straight to you.

Just another fun thing to try on your new toy. Welcome to the PDA clique!