AllPeers - Holy Crap

Playaa

yeah, it's been getting a lot of attention. hopefully once it's released, i'll know what the heck it's supposed to do. i'm confused at how it can be private ("no public access"), yet capture the efficiency of bittorrent. ah well, i'm on the notification list. :)

I was thinking in the shower today, how sweet would it be if people's modems weren't capped, and instead the ISPs just capped traffic at their border. I'm thinking uber-fast file transfers within the neighborhood. Of course, that'll never happen, but one can dream.

(edited)
I was thinking in the shower today, how sweet would it be if people's modems weren't capped, and instead the ISPs just capped traffic at their border. I'm thinking uber-fast file transfers within the neighborhood. Of course, that'll never happen, but one can dream.

Yea right dude... if this happend, you would have 2 people using up EVERYONES Upstream. I have more upstream on my cable modem than I did at college, I think I have somewhere around 1.5Mbps. T1 upspeed, not to shabby.

Edited by NOFX

Yea right dude... if this happend, you would have 2 people using up EVERYONES Upstream. I have more upstream on my cable modem than I did at college, I think I have somewhere around 1.5Mbps. T1 upspeed, not to shabby.

Seems doable. UMass puts an artifical cap on outbound bandwidth per IP address, so I don't see why any other ISP couldn't do the same. Oh and in case anyone's wondering, UMass definitely has at least 10k hosts, and 300mbps up and down, so it's not exactly a small college network.

the thing about this that makes it different than normal P2P is that it's not an open network. You ONLY see the files from people on your friends list.

However, that doesn't stop online communities (like this one) from creating a sub-group on their friends list filled with community members. That would mean that I could have a GC sublist on my friends list and add every single one of you to it.

So it's not quite as open as normal P2P...but in the long run I think it's much better.