AWP: Lame or Skillz?

ephemeral

Been playing with and against the AWP lately and I totally agree with M2. You have to know how to go against an AWP in order to stand a chance.

You have to know where the AWPer is going to be (not to tough to figure out in some maps). Then you have to mess with his timming, peek out and take one shot, move back in (if your alive) then move to a different attack position. You cant overpower the AWP at range, you have to show yourself where he doesn't expect you to and get a potshot in while he twitches to your new position. (Yes I said twitch) I've found that the awper isn't going to move cause hit crosshairs are locked on your previous location, waiting for you to be dumb. You get a good idea where to line up your crosshairs before popping out for your single shot.

I should work on my scouting skilz.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing with and against the AWP lately and I totally agree with M2.  You have to know how to go against an AWP in order to stand a chance.

You have to know where the AWPer is going to be (not to tough to figure out in some maps).  Then you have to mess with his timming, peek out and take one shot, move back in (if your alive) then move to a different attack position.  You cant overpower the AWP at range, you have to show yourself where he doesn't expect you to and get a potshot in while he twitches to your new position. (Yes I said twitch)  I've found that the awper isn't going to move cause hit crosshairs are locked on your previous location, waiting for you to be dumb.  You get a good idea where to line up your crosshairs before popping out for your single shot.

I should work on my scouting skilz.

this is only partially true, because any good CS player knows when he is being flanked...its just a gut feeling. i have found that trying to flank an AWPer is a death trap, because yes, they watch the last place that you were, but in the back of their mind a little timer is ticking, and if they don't see you in a certain amount of time, they will counter flank you. not fun.

I personally think the AWP is lame, solely because of the quickswitch. With the right skills, it becomes an unstoppable killing machine! Just watch St3d on one of his killing rampages with his "run - scope/shoot - run" tactics that pick people off literally as soon as he sees them, 90% of the time, near or far.

The only tactics that I've seen have success against these AWP-gods is:

A.) Get into close range before they notice you, then run in circles around them and glock/sub 'em to death, or

B.) rush in pair with a good AK/Colt shooter, and let yourself be killed while he kills the AWPer-of-Doom.

B doesn't work well, either.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

It's not often I find myself playing in scoped servers anymore. Just because of the AWP. I have no problems with the Scout, and I would love to practise with it, but bots aren't much fun (plus playing in a local server compared to an abroad server messes with ping/latency) and whenever i want to use a scout, there are always people who decide, very unkindly, to blow my head off with an AWP.

Or blow my arm off, same result.

When I DO play scopes, I so very rarely buy an AWP, and only if I'm in a particularly bad mood. Otherwise I'll *try* a scout, fail miserably, and revert back to a colt or an AK. If I see an AWP lying on the ground, I might go 'Oooo pretty! Me wantee!' and pick it up, buuuuuut then I get shot by someone else.

It's way too overpowered. It's so hard for a beleaguered team armed with pistols/SMGs/shottie to take on an AWPer. Along comes a poor T with his mighty glock/peashooter/knife (had to sell the glock to pay child support), and tries to kill an AWPer from 50 feet. 'pew pew!' 'BOOOOOOOOM!!!'

Damage given to AWPy McShootyouinthearmandyoudie: 14 in 3 hits.

Damage taken from AWPy McShootyouinthearmandyoudie: 110 in 1 hit.

Boo.

LoL, with that said peckles, let me introduce you to my little friend. Muahahh

Map: Dust2

Primary: Pumpshotty

Extras: 1x Smoke, 2x flashbangs

Location of target: Camping A bombsite.

Lccation of me: Rushing as usual, yet with an agenda. Going long A.

If you know someone is going to be sniping or someone had been sniping the same spot, think of a way to either flank him, or mess him up for few seconds.

Shotty are most effective against snipers in my opinion. Smoke and flashes are there for a reason. Smoke covers your path and a follow through flash disoreints the snipers and the enemy. Even though you can try to snipe a sniper with a shotty and win 1 out of 10 times, getting closer causes them to lose thier advantage.

Yet this cannot work agaisnt luckycharms since he can no scope you anywhere on the planet. :P

Personnally I don't mind snipers, its part of the game. I have gotten used to it. I wouldn't want the weapon changed nor removed from the game, cause then its a matter of time until i get my TMP tampered with or removed.

Edited by Chamberlain

• 4 weeks later...